Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Slide out issue  (Read 1831 times)
Bobbie
« on: July 29, 2009, 01:04:49 pm »

Ever since we bought our 2007 Phoenix, we have had metal shavings on the carpet when we open the slide. I thought at first these were simply some "left overs" from manufacture, because I also vacuumed up lots of small pieces of wood shavings and a few pieces of copper wire. There were never a lot of shavings. . .just enough to sweep up each time we open the slide.
About 2 weeks ago, we lubricated our slide.
After that lubrication, the metal shavings have increased greatly (which I don't understand, because the lubrication is on the outside). . .to the point that we cannot go barefoot in our unit (after I had several shavings stuck in my foot). In addition, the slide is now very noisy going both in and out.
We have an excellent rv service center, but being in rural Wyoming, we have to travel 100 miles to take the rv in, so I thought I'd ask here first if anyone had had a similar problem, or if anyone has any idea what might be causing the metal shavings in the first place, and now the increase and the noise.
Thanks. Bobbie
Phoenix

Helpful Rating: 3
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: January 2007
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2910/2007
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Green
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 06:45:42 pm »

Hi Bobbie,
We also have a PC 2950 made in 2007 which leaves metal shavings on the carpet at the foot of the bed, the shavings are also corroded. No wood shavings or copper wire have appeared. Lubrication has been done every 6months but it did not increase the amount of shavings, if anything the amount of shavings has gradually got less with time. Our bedroom slide also sounds noisier than the lounge slide which does not leave any shavings. Living in the UK we do not have many RV service centres. The dealer who imported our RV is a 260mile round trip and as our Cruiser is the only one in the UK I do not think they have the facilities to rectify it anyway.
I hope you have more success in the USA and would be interested to hear how you get on if your problems are solved. 
Regards Chris
sunbum1

Helpful Rating: 3
________
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 11:27:27 pm »

I have a 2004 Phoenix Cruiser 2350, and have never had the shavings problem during use, but I would suggest looking for any places that could have trapped left over shavings from when the RV was manufactured.  Over time, the shavings just shake loose and show up on the floor.  I have found small amounts of shavings in other places, like in the light fixtures, just due to the installation processes.  Once I completely vacuumed out the shavings, I haven't been bothered much since.  We also use a 4 ft x 6 ft  area rug in front of the slide out to help keep the dirt contained in the living area.  When we are packing up, we just take the rug outside, shake out the dirt, and roll it up to store it.  This helps on the bare feet.  If you really think the shavings are due to metal-to-metal contact during slideout operation, try lubing all of the contact locations with a spray-on lithium white grease.  The spray-on type helps to ensure that you will lightly coat surfaces in the hard to reach areas, and it's very easy to apply often.  I have been using it on my slide out screws and hinges for a couple of years with good luck.  If this doesn't solve the problems, post again and I will try to help some more. 
cbert

Helpful Rating: 2
________
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 08:43:31 pm »

hi-i do not have any shavings etc. from my slide but i did talk with Liftco the other day in general about lubricating and general maintenance of the slide out (they call it a glide out).  don't have the tel. number handy but go to the web site for Liftco and it's there.  the gentleman i talked with was also the one that answered the tel.  he was more than helpful and offered all kinds of info including how to get into the technical info from the manual on the web site (as a sign in is needed to get tech help.)

generally he said we do not need to do much of anything to the "screw rods" as long as they are clean and have no build up of gunk/dirt etc.

give 'em a call.  connie b.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: