Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Moving Front TV to Better Location (for me)  (Read 800 times)
lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
OwnPC: No
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2011, 08:25:35 pm »

As you can see in my profile I have a 2700, two slide, and the front slide with the sofa/folding bed provides less than great viewing angle for the front TV.  Now then the space (wasted in my mind) over the door  will accommodate the TV on some type of "yet to be determined" pull down, locking, swivel, fold up and travel with the TV against the ceiling, tilting mount, if they even make such (at least with most of those features).

After two weeks in C-rado with sometime TV and sometime not, I am ready to attempt a "fix", my wife and neck agree.  The ceiling over the door seems to be quite solid and so does the sidewall above the door although limited in space on the outside due to the awning casement.  That would put the TV right next to the dvd/surround sound thingy, so hook up changes would be minimal and convenient.

A minor addition in storage space would be effected in the old TV space, I think, have not torn into it yet. Only looks to be 4 screws that hold the TV fascia in place. So as soon as I change the oil and wife gets the inside storable and the PC is back under the polebarn I have to investigate further.

Thoughts??  Anyone else tried this??  Known conflicts??  Kermit please feel compelled to chime in on my plebeian attempt to make it better (damned good as is).

ThankYou

P. S. The Aspen, reds, oranges, golds, were fantastic, as were the deer, bear and antelope.
P. P. S. Thank god for pressure washers, bumper crop of grasshoppers coming and going.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 05:13:56 pm »

I can offer a little insight regarding the amount of space behind the main TV.

If your hand is not too large, you can squeeze it behind the TV through either of the side cabinets.  There is not a whole lot of hidden space, but if you build a new cabinet front "forward" just enough as not interfere with the opening of the side doors, then you'd have some decent space.

I understand your desire to relocate the TV.  We noticed that uncomfortable TV angle during our first PC with slide out experience at a local RV show.  I recall a few people mounting a smaller TV just to the left of the entry door on the wall.

Here is another idea, mounting the TV on an opposing cabinet door.  You open the door to angle the TV for better viewing.
I do realize the slide out is closed up in this picture, but it demonstrates how watching TV (TV in factory position) while in transit doesn't work out very well.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 05:31:40 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
lghjr
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 08:08:13 pm »

Thanks Ron, that is another possibility to consider.  I am also trying to asses the cabinet and dead space to the right of the coach door door too as that space is only used for the coach manuals and small electric heater storage at present.  I am pretty sure there is support structure there as that is where the coach door hinges are fastened.
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 324
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 07:51:02 am »

I understand your situation.  I wanted the front TV to tilt and swivel so I looked for a mount that was RV friendly and was able to accommodate the 26 inch TV. This is what I found.

http://www.jensenrvdirect.com/flat-panel-lcd-tv-wall-mount-bracket-with-double-swing-arm-extension-137.html

I recessed the mount so that the TV and attached mount sits flush against the backboard. I ordered all my cables and wall mounting plates from http://www.monoprice.com. The only thing I have left to do is add a small shelf under the TV to stabilize it during travel.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Barry

« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 07:56:51 am by Barry-Sue » Logged

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 10:24:18 am »

Barry-Sue, that looks very well thought out, a clean installation.

I do have a question.  How is the TV vibration while in transit?  Does it swing around on it's own or is there a lock-down feature?

Our 26" TV is mounted to the wooden back panel of the center cabinet using the 4 provided mounting screw holes in the back of the TV.  I also fabricated an extra bracket to attach the bottom of the TV to the cabinet to help in carrying the weight as well as stabilize the TV.  Even so, we still get a lot of noises from vibrations coming from the TV when hitting bumps in the road.  Though the TV has held up without issues to date (16,000 miles of driving so far), I wonder how long it will continue to withstand the punishment.  I also wonder if I should open the TV and place felt pads inside where metal likes to vibrate around inside to minimize the resinating and the irritation from it.

Does anyone else have similar issues and concerns with their flat panel TV?

Here is our TV.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 02:51:27 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

lghjr
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 11:13:04 am »

Thank you for the various ideas I have been gone again and just saw them, good stuff.
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 324
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 02:26:58 pm »

Need to point out one thing, this configuration has not been road tested yet but I did install a TV in our 2008 2350 that was very stable and roadworthy.

There are two things that still need to be  completed.   I need to install a shelf for the TV to rest on when not extended  and a strap to secure the TV during travel.

The movement experienced by the TV is more a rotation around the mount much like a wheel around an axle.   When the motorhome hits a bump the slight outward tilt of the TV causes the top to swing out and the bottom to swing in.  I have found the best way to counter this action and stabilize the TV is to use a padded stop to keep the bottom from moving inward (no movement at all is best). 

Barry

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
lghjr
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 12:05:15 pm »

We have done away with the two post table and use a coffee table that can also be raised up; bungy cords do a great job of holding it on the sofa, upside down, going down the road and hang over a rod in the closet when stopped out of the way.  Might work for a tv too.
BGolden

Helpful Rating: 23
________
PurchDate: January 2008
ModelYear: 2008
IntColor: Maple/Beige
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 05:03:49 pm »

We moved our tv to the bedroom on a swivel mount. A built in cabinet now fills the old area.

Bill Golden

Bill and Karen Golden
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 05:37:29 pm »

Bill,

Given the absense of the TV, that is the best custom-made use of that space I have ever seen. BRAVO!!!

BGolden

Helpful Rating: 23
________
PurchDate: January 2008
ModelYear: 2008
IntColor: Maple/Beige
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 05:57:54 pm »

Thanks Ron,

I can say that you inspired the idea from your corner cabinet modifications, and the 2nd TV in the bedroom.  Also, my TV died. 

I found a very good swivel mount online that allows the tv to swing around and be viewed from the passenger seat and galley area.

Now, I'm going to work on the corner cabinets.

Bill G

Bill and Karen Golden
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: