Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Refrigerator Hinge  (Read 793 times)
lmichael

Helpful Rating: 28
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May 15, 2012
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2011, 11:21:51 pm »

Be careful with your refrigerator door.  The bottom hinge on the lower door of mine just broke--again!  It broke last November, and Norcold sent me a new door since it was still within the 1 year warranty.  Now, 10 months later, the same hinge breaks in the same place.  We didn't store heavy items in the door, and have been careful opening and closing it since it broke last year.  I've read several comments about this problem with Norcold refrigerators and their poor design.  Guess it's better for Norcold to replace a few doors instead of designing a stronger hinge.  The hinge is molded into the door, so you have to replace the entire door.  At least it's easy to install the new door--little expensive after the first one, though.
GoPhoenix

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 12/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
ExtColor: Full body grey
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 01:55:23 pm »

The bottom hinge on our PC also broke while on a trip.  After calling Norcold, they shipped a new door to the closest repair shop and paid to have it installed.  All this when out of warranty!  Although theyre great in that respect, I agree that it would seem to better to just build the door with a stronger hinge.

I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.
Frank

Helpful Rating: 12
________
PurchDate: April 2012
Model: 2551
IntColor: green
ExtColor: green
________

CHEERS 2008 2551 (Yooper Kermit)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 03:08:01 pm »

We too lost our door. It took three tries to get a new one from Dommetic.
Now forced to keep the door empty and duct tape it shut while on the road.
How they expect to hold all that weight with a small plastic pin in a plastic hole
is beyond me. Time the RV industry got after them to build a quality product
to put in their units

Frank & Dee  CHEERS!!
lmichael

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 07:49:59 pm »

I called Norcold today and was told--sorry, out of warranty--call a service center to get a new door--we don't sell parts.  The cynical side of me says: design a weak product, pay a few claims within the first year, give their authorized service centers extra business selling/installing new doors (it's really simple to install).  Oh, well, it's not worth dwelling on small things.
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 10:25:43 pm »

It's not cynical, I think you dead on. When I worked for Chevy they had nothing but problems with the Citation steering, they fixed the problem long enough to get out of warranty, then SOOOOORY!  I've been there and seen that!

On another note one of our door hinge bolts stripped. I am a little disappointed, the door has four 1/4 bolts. I know thats not PC fault because I believe they buy the door as a unit? Just the same, a little larger bolt would have been nice.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 10:32:31 pm by billy » Logged

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 08:06:03 pm »

Imichael, is it the hinge or the door that breaks?

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
GoPhoenix

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 12/2010
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
ExtColor: Full body grey
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 08:25:40 pm »

For us, it was the door flange that attaches onto the pin that broke.  The entire door had to be replaced, although the wood panel insert was transferred to the new door.

I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.
lmichael

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 10:28:09 pm »

It's the door flange/hinge that breaks.  Since it is molded into the door frame, the whole door has to be replaced.  Both times, mine broke where the flange starts to extend from the door frame.  I've found comments/complaints about this problem online dating back to 2008.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 180
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2011, 03:50:24 pm »

Here is something that could be of interest.  I copied this from another website.

A few weeks ago, the upper hinge on my Dometic fridge door broke and the door fell on the floor. I then noticed that the freezer door hinge was also cracked and ready to break. A call to Dometic confirmed that the only fix was to replace the doors. I invested over $300 in new doors. Today I found a post on a "Sportscoach" site that mentions a less expensive route. The following is quotation from that message. "The upper freezer door hinge broke on my Dometic refrigerator. I checked with Camping World and other sources and was told my only solution was to buy a complete door for $150 or so. Not liking this answer I called Dometic. They said that kits are available to repair all of the door hinges and are available through All Seasons RV Appliance Parts & Service in Elkhart, IN. You can reach them at 800-348-7697 or 800-344-0673. The upper and lower hinge repair kit cost $18.95, can be charged to a credit card and shipped anywhere
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 03:52:55 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
BGolden

Helpful Rating: 22
________
PurchDate: January 2008
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
IntColor: Maple/Beige
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 08:05:01 am »

I may as well add my name to the list of broken refer doors.  Ours hit the floor on the way home from Florida. Since then we stopped using the shelves on the door when travelling. We also added Baby safety locks to the referigerator, so that the door will not open when driving. The safety locks built in failed a few times.

I will say that Dometic stood by us, sent us a new door at no charge.     ThankYou

Bill Golden

Bill and Karen Golden
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: