Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How does your PC ride?  (Read 1677 times)
classact

Helpful Rating: 3
________
OwnPC: No
NewUsed: New
Model: 3100
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2011, 10:13:42 pm »

Howdy folks,
Just curious how you wouid rate the ride quality in your PC, and further how you would compare it to other motorhomes (whether Class A or Class C) that you have owned.
We hope to one day own a PC. We now have a Jayco Melbourne on a E450 chassis.  We had to do some considerable work on the suspension to bring the ride up to "acceptable" for us.  In our case, getting rid of the "helper" or "override" springs and adding a couple leafs, then also adding the MOR/ryde system, which significantly improved the ride quality.

Just curious how you would rate the ride quality in your PC, as that's an important factor to us.

Many thanks,

Mike

2007 Jayco Melbourne
PC 3100 Wannabe
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
OwnPC: Yes
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 10:45:24 pm »

Before the PC we had a class A hurricane by Thor ( they own the company that make the Hurricane. On the A we added a steering stabilizer, Sumo stabilizers (their look like air bags but there made of a cellulose), worked rather well, fit between the frame and front leaf springs. Added a read trac-bar. All this helped a lot. When we purchased the PC I felt it needed a rear Trac-bar, surprising enough it did not help all that much. With all that said the PC felt like riding on a cloud compared to the A. I do have the steering stabilizer of the A and will adapt it to the PC and probably when needed up grade the shocks. Other than that I'm as happy as a pig in slop!  Cheer

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 87
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 08:53:31 am »

Prior to the 2011 PC 2551, we had a  PC 2010 2350 on the Sprinter chassis. The ride on the Sprinter was 200% better than the 2551 on the Ford E450.

We have taken it to a Ford dealer, our MH repair shop here in Florida and spoken to Kermit at the factory regarding the ride. It is the hardest ride we have ever experienced. Every bump it feels like we are going to lose our teeth.

It seems that the solution to the ride problem is adding airbags, taking out a leaf  in the springs, changing the shocks or all of the above. We are probably going to try the leaf spring approach to see if that helps.

Our 2551 does not have a slide so it is significantly lighter than those with the slide, so that may contribute to the harder ride.

That being said, we love the Coach so eventually we will fix the ride.

Judi and George

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 168
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 09:21:09 am »

Hi George,

Have you had the PC weighted yet? If you do and you check the Michelin tire charts, you will probably find that the tires air pressure on the Ford door is way to high. By the charts I needed to drop my 2350 on the E450 down to 65 PSI. I dropped both the front and rear to 70 PSI. The ride is much better to me.

As far as the main post, the ride is a matter of personal taste. Each of us has made different changes and some we like and some we don't. The only thing that rides and handles really good cost several hundred thousand dollars and says "Prevost" on the grill.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 09:24:52 am by TomHanlon » Logged

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
ragoodsp

Helpful Rating: 35
________
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 09:27:23 am »

I have a 2551 on the E-450 and will say the ride is hard, especially when running a light load.  On the positive side it does make you feel good that you know you have something "rugged" under you and even when fully loaded you will most likely have close to 2000 lbs in load capacity to max out the chassis.  I recently put some new Bilstiens on and I must say it has improved the ride considerably and the handling was improved as well, not significantly, but  perhaps 30%. I all so backed the air pressure down five pound each all the way around, still easily carries the load according to Michelin and my local tire dealer.   I had 2009 Monaco Covina on a Sprinter and while the ride may have been better than the Ford I feel stongly the ride was at the expense of control.  The chassis was nearly maxed out before you even loaded anything into it.  In fairness,  the Covina was nearly a foot taller than any PC on a Sprinter so I am sure that made the chassis as "tippy" as it was and you may not have that sensation with a PC.  I have had 38' A's with air bag suspension and to be honest I always thought they rode hard as well; not sure you are going to get a true smooth ride until you get up into a dual axle,  true air ride suspension chassis.   I feel strongly the E-450 is one tough chassis and PC has engineered their coachs very well to have good weight balance resulting in good vehicle control.  What you do not  want and I have expeienced,  is the sensation that the coach is over powering the suspension of the chassis in and emergency situation.  best of luck
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 295
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2011, 11:50:52 am »

We had a 2008 2350 and the first thing we did was have the front end alignment done. The next thing was to have the Heavy Duty Bilstein shocks on the front only. Finally, we installed the blue ox tiger trac to eliminate the body sway from side to side. What a huge improvement on the 2350. We drove the RV in wind gusts up to 50 mph and there were no issues. The RV now drives like a typical F-150 with a cap. This trac bar is different than the sway bar. We have kept the original front and rear sway bars. We are very pleased with the ride and drivability.

We now have a 2012 2551 and the handling of this RV was great right out of the factory.  At this time the only thing I'm looking at doing is a front end alignment (normal for a new RV) and a set of Bilstein shocks.

When I  start doing suspension modifications I do one modification at a time and verify the results.  Also, high tire pressure will give you a rough ride.  Tire pressure of 80 PSI is the max that the LT225/75R16 can be inflated to.  The actual inflation pressure is based upon the weight of the loaded RV.

Here is a link to Michelin RV Tire inflation tables.

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/michelinrv/tires-retreads/load-inflation-tables.jsp

Barry

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
gradygal
SuperHero Member

________
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2011, 12:18:28 pm »

Hi George,

Have you had the PC weighted yet? If you do and you check the Michelin tire charts, you will probably find that the tires air pressure on the Ford door is way to high. By the charts I needed to drop my 2350 on the E450 down to 65 PSI. I dropped both the front and rear to 70 PSI.
We have had it weighed. Total weight is 10,840 with fuel and water. We haven't weighed it with all our "stuff" onboard. The tires all around are 70 PSI. According to Michelin's chart, we can go as low as 50 PSI. I am thinking of lowering another 5 lbs.

George

Punta Gorda FL
classact

Helpful Rating: 3
________
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 01:55:22 pm »

Thanks for the replies everyone, and keep them coming!  It's interesting how everyone seems to approach ride issues a little differently.

I would encourage anyone who is trying to remedy a harsh ride to consider the MOR/ryde suspension system. It's not terribly expensive and it greatly softened the ride on our unit.   More info here: http://www.morryde.com/aftermarket/suspension/rs-suspension-system-41.html     My disclaimer - I am not affiliated with MOR/ryde in any way. We discovered the company after returning from a trip to Texas driving through Arkansas (need I say any more?!) and my wife proclaiming "I don't care how much it costs we HAVE to figure out something to make it ride better!". 

Seems a mystery to me that a company like PC wouldn't go ahead and put Bilstein's or Koni shocks on their units right out of the factory.   Seems like something many folks do anyway.

2007 Jayco Melbourne
PC 3100 Wannabe
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 58
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 08:14:30 pm »

Our stock 2551 and the new 2552 ride very wll.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 167
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 10:20:16 pm »

Seems a mystery to me that a company like PC wouldn't go ahead and put Bilstein's or Koni shocks on their units right out of the factory.   Seems like something many folks do anyway.
I always thought that PC-USA should offer a "Handling Package" option on the E-Series to include the following.
- heavy duty front and rear stabilizer bars
- Bilstein or Koni-RV shocks
- rear trac bar
- heavy duty front steering stabilizer
- front wheel alignment

Our 2007 2350 on a 2007 E350 chassis drove like a druken sailor until after these upgrades.  Now it resembles the handling of an SUV.  With 1000 pounds of chassis weight margin when loaded on trips, the quality of the ride is quite comfortable.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 10:24:18 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 168
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 08:24:50 am »

Seems a mystery to me that a company like PC wouldn't go ahead and put Bilstein's or Koni shocks on their units right out of the factory.   Seems like something many folks do anyway.
I always thought that PC-USA should offer a "Handling Package" option on the E-Series to include the following.
- heavy duty front and rear stabilizer bars
- Bilstein or Koni-RV shocks
- rear trac bar
- heavy duty front steering stabilizer
- front wheel alignment

Our 2007 2350 on a 2007 E350 chassis drove like a drunken sailor until after these upgrades.  Now it resembles the handling of an SUV.  With 1000 pounds of chassis weight margin when loaded on trips, the quality of the ride is quite comfortable.

I believe that Phoenix does what it does because everyone thinks what they need and/or want is different, so they don't do anything and let the customer do it themselves. This is the reason they do not install towel bars and toilet paper holder but wait for the customer to bring their own and tell them where they want them installed.

Ron put everything on his in one big step and is happy with what he did. I don't agree with his way of doing it. I upgraded my 2350 from the E350 to the E450 when it was built.  I then put Bilstein shocks on, had an alignment done and drove it for awhile. I put the Roadmaster rear anti-sway bar on and could hardly tell any difference. If I was to keep this unit, I would not add anything more. I my new PC 2552, I plan on driving it the 600 plus miles home from the factory to check out the ride and handling. Then I will probly order Bilstein shocks and an alignment. Then I will see what happens before adding anything else.

One of the fun things about owning a PC is making mods  during the build and afterwards on our own. Then coming on here and talking about them.

Back in 1989 I owned a Pace Arrow class A that had the Mor-ride on it. The ride was pretty good. Yesterday I called the Mor-ride folks and talked to them. Since they are located in Elkhart and I am picking up my new PC in Elkhart I was thinking I could have them install it right after I got it. The price of $795 plus tax plus 6-7 hours labor at $79 an hour seems a little high not knowing how this new unit is going to ride. I will put this off for now.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 08:35:47 am by TomHanlon » Logged

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 58
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 09:25:27 am »

Tom,

You've got the right idea and suggest you put 50 or so miles on yours before you finally sign off to accept delivery.
The longer wheelbases of the 2551 and 2552 on an E450 chassis is far different than a 2350 on an E350 chassis.

I drive somewhat crisply and have not found any real reason to make any changes on ours after 3500 miles. We just have to remember we're not driving a sports car.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
pyrthkr
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 03:54:37 pm »

I only have my in-laws 1997 Safari (class A) and a rental Cruise America class C to compare with but our 2008 2551 seems to ride exceptionally better than those.  I get tired driving the Safari (it's all over the road) and the rental lacked responsiveness to even gross adjustments.
 cool
DownBy TheRiver

Helpful Rating: -3
________
PurchDate: Hopefully soon
ModelYear: 2910D is my favorite model
IntColor: Dusk
ExtColor: Dusk
________

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 03:52:37 am »

My own two cents -

Many years ago, when moving a friend, we had rented an E-series cutaway moving truck.  Had to have been the then-E450 chassis based on box size alone, and was advertised to have "air-ride" suspension.

Under a full load (including an upright piano), handled quite well, full or empty on local streets under 45 MPH, and was quite peppy, more or less keeping up, and competitive with, ordinary cars.

Anyway, we were quite pressed for time in getting to a store before it closed, and with a full load that included a number of mirrored and glassed furniture pieces resting perpendicularly and directly on the load floor (hey, it was the 80's LOL!), I mindlessly blew into the parking lot at about 40 MPH.

At that time, tall and sharply contoured speed bumps were the order of the day in the malls of the past!  As I rapidly approached the first bump, I winced - the certain destruction of all delicated items aboard certainly doomed to my carelessness, yet sharp braking would have resulted in equal destruction of our load!  Yet we flew over it with narry a jar nor bobble!  Wow!  This "air-ride" was great!  We proceeded onwards at 40 MPH!  It was truly amazing!

For those Francophiles among us, just as if you ran over a cow with a Citroen auto.  Wow!

Don't know about RV's or trucks, but it seems any autos with air suspension years ago were subject to considerable maintenance requirements and cost.

Were superior ride quality and handling a must, along with many miles driven per year, I can say it would probably be worth the cost of air suspension for me.  You'd never spill a drop of gin and tonic, and you ladies could probably apply make-up underway.

I would decide it to be unaffordable for myself - but for those of you who can, do look into it.  Miracles are available.

gradygal
SuperHero Member

________
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 01:43:38 pm »

Tom
I spoke with Kermit about the Mor-ride system. He suggested staying away from it. He described a problem with a PC that had the Mor-Ride installed. That system caused flexing of the coach resulting in a cracked roof. You might want to speak with him before you make any decision.

George

Punta Gorda FL
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: