Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Adding hooks to rear storage  (Read 495 times)
bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 133
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: April 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2011, 06:57:02 pm »

I want to organize the storage in the rear compartment on my 2010 2551.  There are two hooks now screwed into the back wall for the power cord and I want to add more.  The back wall feels solid all over like there may be some plywood or OSB behind the fiberglass.  Has anyone added hooks etc. to this wall and can tell me what to expect?

I know I can give Kermit a call, but I don't want to bug him on something this minor, and besides I get to talk with you all!

Bob A

2010  PC 2551
lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 40
________
OwnPC: No
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
ModelYear: 2007
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 07:50:14 pm »

I added two hooks and did not hit any reinforcement.  I even used a stud finder (does work on f'glass, "generally")  got a false reading I guess. Or I couldn't hit the right spot.
Bottom line, I hope you have better luck since my hooks are gradually working loose with load and vibration.
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
Model: 3100
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 10:38:53 pm »

I added two and used grollia glue, no help, I am looking for something else?

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 189
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 06:08:34 pm »

There is a 4" high by 12" long by 1" thick backer board behind where the hooks are installed. I was just at the factory and asked this same question because I added a hook on my old PC. I did not hit anything with that hook. Bobby and I went looking at how the rear end cap is make and mounted. I want to put a hook in the new PC but have not figured out how just yet.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: February 2010
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 06:30:51 pm »

I'm not anywhere near my PC right now, but I was wondering if you could simply cut a 4"X1" board to the desired length, bevel the ends for appearances, and simply glue it with some sort of really strong epoxy or mastic glue to the inside of the rear cabinet, paint it white to match, and then just screw your hooks into that and on into the fiberglas beyond.  Unless you plan to hang something very heavy, that ought to do the trick and it is out of sight inside the compartment.  Just a thought.

Jerry
bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 133
________
PurchDate: April 2010
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 08:05:32 pm »

There is a 4" high by 12" long by 1" thick backer board behind where the hooks are installed. I was just at the factory and asked this same question because I added a hook on my old PC. I did not hit anything with that hook. Bobby and I went looking at how the rear end cap is make and mounted. I want to put a hook in the new PC but have not figured out how just yet.

Tom, I called and talked with Bobby today and got the same info, backing board is only where the existing hooks are, thanks for your confimation on that.

I'm not anywhere near my PC right now, but I was wondering if you could simply cut a 4"X1" board to the desired length, bevel the ends for appearances, and simply glue it with some sort of really strong epoxy or mastic glue to the inside of the rear cabinet, paint it white to match, and then just screw your hooks into that and on into the fiberglas beyond.  Unless you plan to hang something very heavy, that ought to do the trick and it is out of sight inside the compartment.  Just a thought.

Jerry

Jerry, that sounds like it might work, I would screw the board to the fiberglass as well as glue.

Also, instead of a hook like the factory ones with one large screw attachment, I might try to use a hook that attaches with a couple smaller screws.  The smaller screws might hold better in the fiberglass since they would be in shear rather than bending.

Bob

2010  PC 2551
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: