• PurchDate: 12/2010
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Full body grey
Cold weather camping
« on: November 03, 2011, 08:42:56 am »
We are considering wintering in a Florida campground between Gainesville and Ocala.  I know the PC is fitted with tank heaters for cold weather, but how low?  Average temperatures for the area per AccuWeather.com for January is upper 60s-70 daytime to mid to upper 40s at night.  Okay so far, but record lows mostly in the 20s with a couple as low as 10!!  Anyone have experience with this?  We have insulated windows.
I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.

lghjr

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
  • Model: 2700
  • ModelYear: 2007
Re: Cold weather camping
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 10:54:53 am »
Couple years ago, Thanksgiving, we got caught in an unseasonable cold snap in San Antonio.  The morning of departure it was 25°F and we were tank frozen, i.e., nothing would empty.  Caveat here is that; I did not or forgot to turn the heater on (okay the truth, did not even remember we had tank heaters).  But, by the time we got to Cabela's in North Ft. Worth things were thawed and used their dump station successfully. Every thing else worked as advertised and we had a successful trip.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 10:56:55 am by lghjr »

PJ Corey

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 4/2010
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 11:09:50 am »
We have camped in sustained 10-15 degree night time temps with 28-30 day time temps. We didn't plan it that way but last winter was bitter cold and we hit some of it returning from sunny CA to frigid NM.  We did turn on the tank heat strips but were not worried about a tank freeze because we dumped everyday after a hot shower leaving plenty of space for expansion.  We also poured some antifreeze into the tanks and traps. Other obvious solutions to cold weather camping:  Open the cabinets up so heat flows to the plumbing; take in the hoses.  Or, there is this nifty hose: http://www.pirithose.com/  We changed out the vents for ones we can open and close so we could distribute hot air evenly throughout the coach. The nights we got stuck in 8 degree weather we parked the rv so the sun rose on the sewer side and set on the hot water heater side.  For cold weather camping we carry a thick wool blanket which we stretch across the entire cab and block out the cold coming through the front.  It doesn't read like you are going to face anything as cold as we have experienced but some of these tips could help if you run into 20 degree nights.  If we weren't selling the PC I would consider buying a catalytic converter -- very toasty and silent.  Have fun in Florida!

ragoodsp

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • PurchDate: May 5, 2012
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: cafe
  • ExtColor: cafe
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 03:24:14 pm »
I would agree 100% with all that PJC has to say.  The cab is without a doubt the biggest heat loss area.  One small thing you should do is always turn the heater control knob to the off position.  Not being off the damper stays open and cold air comes in thru the heater box and cab vents; turning to the off positon also prevents the fumes from the gen set from coming into the coach.  Just get the blamnkets out and dump the antifreeze down the drains and you will be fine well into the 20's.
Ron Goodspeed

Bob Mahon

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 6/2011
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 03:44:37 pm »
I turn the AC control to Max AC (recirculate) before I turn it off completely.
Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.

billy

• Best Friends
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 06:36:57 pm »
when we got the criuser we were in Oaka, City, the nite before it was -4, every thing in that dam class a froze. with the water pump on the OUTSIDE door it was the first to go. with the Cruiser the pump is inboard and the heated tank were great. by the time the cruiser arrived it warmed up to around 20. Sunday while watching the Super Bowl my wife ask where are we going next, SOUTH was the answer.
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

grimes34

• View Profile
    • teampaisley
  • NewUsed: Used
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • ExtColor: dirty
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 07:58:34 pm »
We are considering wintering in a Florida campground between Gainesville and Ocala.  I know the PC is fitted with tank heaters for cold weather, but how low?  Average temperatures for the area per AccuWeather.com for January is upper 60s-70 daytime to mid to upper 40s at night.  Okay so far, but record lows mostly in the 20s with a couple as low as 10!!  Anyone have experience with this?  We have insulated windows.

It would have to be subfreezing for "days" before you would have a problem in a motor-home that had the heat on

pyrthkr

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 08:12:48 pm »
We picked up our unit over the Thanksgiving holiday last yr in Mechanicsburg, PA & hit cold temps all the was across country to AZ on the way home.  Remarkably, the coldest was in Las Vegas, NM where we hit 18 degrees & the Sani-con pump temporarily froze (as mentioned below, a little sunshine was all it needed!).  When stopped, we would put the windshield cover on, temp selector on the dash to Max AC, close the accordian door to the living rm & roll in the slide out when we went to bed.  Also used a very small space heater to augment the propane furnace (only when in bed).  Of course, the tank heaters were on but I didn't think to open up the cabinets as mentioned below so now I'm armed w/even more actions for next time.
 :cool