Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sprinter 3.0L V-6  (Read 1330 times)
ragoodsp

Helpful Rating: 35
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« on: November 13, 2011, 06:23:10 pm »

I have long been a fan of the 3.0L M-B engine that is used in the Sprinters and I have in my 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee,  but of late I am loosing some of my fondness and thought some of you folks with Sprinters may want to be aware of  issues that could cost you some very big money.  Three weeks ago my check engine light came on, my super Jeep dealer pulled the code and found one glow plug was bad and the control module that controls the plugs  was all so bad, my vehicle has 52,000 miles on it.  I purchased the extened warranty on the vehicle so I only paid my $100; the total tab was over over $3000 since each glow plug is like $420 each and they decided per order of Jeep to replace not just one but  all 6 and the control box is not cheap.  I went on my way feeling OK, but glow plugs should go 100,000 miles.  It is my understanding that you could  not get any Chrysler extended warranty on Sprinters at all, not sure what M-B offers now?  My check engine light just came on again and this time the issue is the" swirl valve" it controls manifold air circulation, the engine is now in "limp" mode and sitting at the dealer waiting for parts to come.  The retail tab on this little job  is over $3400! My extended warranty is picking up the tab.  Very weird, but by nephew has the same Jeep vehicle and his was just diagnosed with the exact same issue (he only has 43000) and it is not covered by his extended power train only warranty, he is not happy.  There is absoutely no maintenance that one can do to prevent the swirl valve from failing and my Jeep/Dodge dealer stated that they saw tons of Sprinters with swirl valve failure (one twice) and the rate of failure is due to poor design that allows oil to run down the intake and somehow the oil actually seeps intot the sealed electric motor that operates the valve.  I sure hope changes have been made so that I do no have to replace it again when I am out of warranty.  Just thought 3.0L owners might want to have their dealer take a look .  thanks
lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 38
________
OwnPC: No
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
ModelYear: 2007
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 07:07:54 pm »

This may or may not help (probably not) but does make for interesting reading of the government protections on government mandated equipment.

http://www.epa.gov/oms/consumer/warr95fs.txt
ragoodsp

Helpful Rating: 35
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 08:47:56 am »

LGHJr.:   Thanks for the info...looks very interesting. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: