Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pleated Front Curtain  (Read 865 times)
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 04:58:07 pm »

Admittedly the stock front privacy curtain is a bit cumbersome, but we have adapted well in managing it.  I do like their full vertical Velcro center connecting feature, and they do store cleanly tucked away.

For cold nights it would be nice to completely seal off around the front seats with something like a thin quilted blanket.  It would take good skills to come up with something friendly to work that offers a draft-free seal.  It would be much easier a project if leaving the front seats on the cold side, but we store stuff on the two front seats, primarily at bed time where all my wife's pillows get dumped.

Then there is the swivel front seat feature.  It would be sad to block off a seat that could be used when we have guests.

We just started carrying a small electric 1500 heater with a blower for the fix but have not yet tried it out.  We never seem to camp plugged-in anymore.

BTW, This is my 2000th post.  Yikes!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 08:19:45 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
BGolden

Helpful Rating: 23
________
PurchDate: January 2008
ModelYear: 2008
IntColor: Maple/Beige
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 05:53:30 pm »

Ron,
The divider curtain Kermit installed for us my give you an idea on how to close off the front.
Bill G

Bill and Karen Golden
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 08:28:00 am »

Bill,

Because we have a TV there, the curtain wouldn't work for us.  When it's cold and getting dark early, watching a movie is a very nice pass time for us.

I do wonder if a simple quilted blanket would work to drape over the two front seat backs for a good lower-half barrier, providing reach-over access to the front.  It wouldn't work if needing to sit on the swivel seat, but otherwise might keep the coldest air and drafts away.  Has anyone tried that?  If so, how well does it work for you?

Oh so many pillows we have now, plus a big quilted blanket would be over the top for me. Cry
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 08:31:36 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

BGolden

Helpful Rating: 23
________
PurchDate: January 2008
ModelYear: 2008
IntColor: Maple/Beige
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2014, 08:55:22 am »

Ron,
I forgot about that.  I relocated my tv to the rear.

Bill and Karen Golden
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 324
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2014, 12:28:30 pm »

Like Ron, we too have found the pleated curtains to be very manageable.  When we had our 2008 2350 we could never use the swivel front passenger seat at night when the curtains were drawn since they were too short and too stiff to accommodate the seat being swiveled.

When we ordered our 2012 2551 we requested an extra curtain panel to allow us enough curtain to accommodate both the driver and passenger seat being swiveled. We only needed about a third of that curtain so I cut it and sewed it into the existing curtain to give us more fabric to go around the seat. It has worked great and it allows us to use both seats at night with the curtain closed. Since the curtain is larger on the drivers side I had to move the straps from the middle to the bottom screw to accommodate the new thickness. It actually worked out better for us and now the curtain doesn't flare out on the bottom when in the stored position.  The pleats remain in a folded position and the curtain is now very easy to operate.  We find that it cuts down a lot of the cold air and can comfortably sit in these seats at any time.

Sue

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 81
________
PurchDate: May 2013
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2014, 11:58:04 pm »

Ron, we've draped a "Neat Sheet" across the front from the curtain bar on each wing wall (mainly because it was already on board and wasn't too heavy - we attach with clothes pins). We make sure it is pushed up against the wings and touches the floor. It droops to about the height of the seat backs. We can reach over it to access things in the front. We also close the pleated curtains and vents. This traps a good bit of the cold air up front but it isn't the perfect solution.

My next attempt is a compression curtain rod with clips to hold a thin, silver emergency blanket from ceiling to floor in the same general area that Bill's curtain is. It will need to be pinned to the wing walls somehow (probably clipped to the existing curtain bar). This will block the TV but we seldom watch it anyhow. It will be two curtains overlapping so we will be able to access things up front but will let cold air in when we do so. I considered true thermal curtains but the ones I've found are too heavy and bulky so the Mylar emergency blankets will have to do until something better comes along. I bought a pack of four or six on Amazon.

I'm still eyeing the trim areas and trying to figure out if I can hide some sort of clips or magnets up there so I can hook the Mylar up so it runs under the"cap" ceiling thereby leaving the TV and front cabinets accessible... then I read those cabinets are possibly not insulated. Insulation up there may be another step on my weather defense list.

Now that I've snuck a few tidbits into that analytical brain of yours in the hope that you'll come up with the attachment solution, the short answer is yes, a drape helps but it doesn't have to be a big quilt. Just something to block the air flow.

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
Carol

Helpful Rating: 3
________
PurchDate: July 2014
ModelYear: 2015
IntColor: Greystone with Sterling Leather
ExtColor: Sterling simplified
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2014, 08:51:41 am »

2Frazzled's suggestion about the silver emergency blanket got me thinking (danger! danger!).  I currently use two Magic Shade sunshades (by Auto Expressions, purchased at Walmart, extraordinarily reasonably priced) on my dash to block out sun in the summer and for privacy any time I am parked.  They are made of that extremely lightweight silver material you spoke of and they are bound on the edges with some kind of oval spring so that when they are opened up they are totally flat and can be snuggled in between the dash and the visors to fit really nicely.  As the weather has gotten colder, I've noticed that they trap a nice layer of cold air in between them and the window when I open up in the morning.  I think I'm going to get an extra pair to put along the driver and passenger windows at night and see how much more cold air gets trapped.  I also use the accordion curtains at night for more thorough privacy.  Plus I think they are pretty.

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2014, 09:42:58 am »

I love all the ideas shared.  Yes they got my gears turning again.

On our first motor home seen here, it came with a privacy curtain that attached to the decorative buttons.  You can see 4 of the eight buttons with the decorative caps removed.

In the case with our PC, those buttons are used as seen in this picture.

I think adding one more button to the right on the green triangle would make for an ideal snap on curtain.  Maybe a button in the middle and one at the far right for a nice balanced look.  You simply use a teaspoon to pop off the decorative cap (green cap in my case here) and behind it is the male portion of the snap.  With two snaps per side that sort-of follows the wing wall, that might offer enough support and enough of a seal.  I am currently at work, unable to determine if anything is in the way.  Maybe cover 50% across the triangle would be best to avoid cabinets, dinette, etc.

As far as what material to use, our old rig was upholstery vinyl.  It blocked out the draft except down at the floor because it wasn't quite long enough.

If it works very effectively, maybe we should propose it to Kermit to offer it as a feature or option because it would be nice if it was made of the same material to match.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 10:02:58 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 190
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2014, 01:43:27 pm »

What would it be like if you just replaced the current pleated curtains with ones that are longer and reach all the way to the floor? Then you could still see the TV and turn the front chairs around and use them. Just wondering. thinking

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 81
________
PurchDate: May 2013
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2014, 12:14:29 am »

Replacing the pleated curtain with a long, flexible, thermal one would probably work for us IF the curtain bar can support the extra weight. We have the rubber floor mat so that reduces the heat exchange through the cab floor. I'm not sure how that would work with a noninsulated floor. I'm also not sure I want to deal with all that curtain every time I shutter the front. A floor length curtain that wraps the entire cab would likely be cumbersome. We only need the extra wrapping when we camp really hot or really cold and we do try to avoid the extremes. We just aren't all that good at it.

The idea is food for thought, though. If I could just find a nice, smooth flowing, good looking, light blocking, thermal fabric, we'd be good to go.

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: