Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Direct TV home hd receiver  (Read 262 times)
happyrox2

Helpful Rating: 0
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 01/14
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2016, 04:33:01 pm »

I have Direct TV in my home HDTV receiver with DVR.  We just updated the Samsung TV in our 2013 2910 T PC to a Samsung  smart TV and had it mounted on a wall bracket in order to have access to the HDMI inputs, usb and ethernet connections.  Is it possible to just take the HD receiver from home and use it in the RV connected to the satellite dish (Direct TV only) installed at the factory.  We previously tried to use direct tv with a standard receiver but this was before our home installation (there was no home account to tie it to) and had to go through a commercial account.  They claimed this was for RV's but unfortunately that experience was expensive and a nightmare. Any suggestions and or information would be appreciated.

happyrox
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 205
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 05:37:57 pm »

I think you can do that but you will lose your local channels when you travel out of your area. The locals are beamed to just your area. You will not get the local channels where you are traveling into.
It does not cost any thing to try it at home, so go for it.

Current PC: 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC: 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
RKS

Helpful Rating: 12
________
PurchDate: 1/2016
ModelYear: 2016
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 10:02:45 pm »

We have Direct TV and take our receiver from home for use in the PC.  As Tom said you lose your local programing when traveling.  We generally stay in one place for a week or so, once set up we call Direct  TV, customer service and provide our location to receive the local programing. This past winter I think we called 4 or 5 times. Depending on the techs experience level they may not know what your talking about so you may have to push them to ask for help. One time this winter I called to change and they apologized, thinking I was having a technical issue and gave me 3 months of HBO free for the inconvience. Surprisingly they don't charge for the location changes.
We use a carry out dish and not all of there receivers are compatible with it, I don't know if this is an issue with the fixed dishes.
Almost forgot there are setting changes that you have to make to the receiver, this is done both when you take the dish out to be used with the portable and when it's returned to the house.  Customer service walked me through the steps which are straight forward.
Bob
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 10:34:41 pm by RKS » Logged

Bob and Michele
Previously owned a 2350 Sprinter
happyrox2

Helpful Rating: 0
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 01/14
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 04:41:26 pm »

Thanks for the info.  We are going to take the box out to the RV and try to hook it up to see if we can at least get a signal and get the satellite to set itself.. If anyone knows the changes that have to be made to the box that info would be greatly appreciated.
lmichael

Helpful Rating: 30
________
PurchDate: May 15, 2012
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 11:38:10 am »

I have standard def directv with standard house dish that I adapted to take apart for storage and easy assembly.  All I do is set up the dish, turn the sat receiver on, push Menu on directv remote, down to Parental Favs & Setup, select, down to system setup, select, down to satellite, select, View Signal Strength, select, Signal Meters, select, starts beeping to show signal strength, go outside move dish until beeps are rapid (helps to have someone close to see general direction to point dish), exit on remote, wait for system to update, then  turn tv off and enjoy glass of wine.  Of course you have dish mounted, so pointing doesn't apply to you.  HD receivers are different and require different dish, so what I do may not be of help.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: