Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Awning question  (Read 840 times)
Trudy

Helpful Rating: 8
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 1-10
Model: 2950
ModelYear: 2006
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2011, 01:52:10 pm »

Don't know if this is normal or not. When we roll up our awning, there is a bit of a gap where it fits into the end caps. Looks like it should fit up tighter, but no matter what we do, that's as good as it gets. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Trudy
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 312
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 02:38:13 pm »

Trudy

I had the same problem on our 2008 model and it turned out to be a simple adjustment issue.   Basically the adjustment procedure make one end of the awning roller larger or smaller so that both ends of the awning reach the end at the same time.

There are adjustment directions in the manual but if that does not work  you can call their customer support number and get additional directions on how to expand the adjustment process.  It sounds confusing at first but once you go through the adjustment procedure it makes sense.

Barry

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
pyrthkr
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 02:40:44 pm »

On our 2008 1551 I've sometimes had to unroll it all the way, make sure the legs were properly seated, (especially the bottom foot flange) and re-roll it back in - even "convincing it" w/gentle push using the crank on the offending end sometimes.  I keep at it until there is no gap whatsoever.
 cool
pyrthkr
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 02:41:53 pm »

Barry's response sounds way more logical (and less "brutish" ) than mine.  I'll have to try his out as well..
Trudy

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 07:07:15 pm »

Thank you guys. We will get out there tomorrow (burrrrrr) and see what we can do. I'll keep ya posted.

Trudy
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 177
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 01:52:48 am »

Last summer, I hastily rolled up our box awning during a wind storm.  The one end did not seal tight afterward, leaving at least 1/2 inch, maybe closer to one inch sticking out.

Once back home I opened the awning to it's fullest having the extra awning material sagging.  My wife on one end and me on the other, we pulled the excess material tight while our son slowly cranked it all back inside.  All fixed with both ends sealed tight!  
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 01:54:51 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Trudy

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 05:27:34 pm »

Well, I lied. We didn't make it out there 'til today. Had to move PC so we'd have room to open awning. Didn't have any luck. No matter what we did, it still doesn't want to roll up tight. It's strange, because it fits nice and tight in the middle, but both ends have about a 1/4" gap.....same gap on both ends. Any thoughts? Our manual didn't offer anything but we haven't tried calling customer support yet.

Trudy
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 06:02:33 pm »

Trudy

Sounds like a prolem best addressed by customer support.

Barry
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 06:04:04 pm by Barry-Sue » Logged

Barry and Sue 
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 06:44:17 pm »

Trudy,

Did you look on the Fiamma website?  They have some great videos that show some troubleshooting hints.  Here is the link http://www.fiammausa.com/service/advicesVideo.asp?IDVideo=11#topVideo.  Maybe if you check them out, get an idea of what they are talking about and then call them you can get yours adjusted.

Sue

Barry and Sue 
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 12:58:40 am »

It's strange, because it fits nice and tight in the middle, but both ends have about a 1/4" gap.....same gap on both ends. Any thoughts?
Yes Trudy, I do have a thought about that.

Open the awning less than an inch.  Get on a step ladder and "sight" down the outer frame (the frame that is now away from the PC, the metal that holds the end of the awning material).  Does it have a slight bow in it?  If so, which way does it bow?

Just maybe yours has an excessive reverse bow, possibly formed from not using the center support often enough.  If that is so, see if you can reverse the bow the other way, (ends closer to PC, center away).  It might be as easy as setting up your awning, install the center support and tighten up the awning.  The center support will hold the center out while the ends pull the frame in slightly.  If that does not yield the desired results, maybe adding slight extra pressure by two people, one on each end to encourage a gentile bow to form again.  Obviously caution and gentileness is critical, avoiding deforamtion.  You don't want much of a bow.  Just a tad bit.  I would start by simply straightening the frame.  No bow at all.  If it's better but not enough, then do a tiny bit more.

It's just a thought, not speaking from actual experience dealing with such a problem..

Adding:  Read my next post below...................................................................
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 02:45:12 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 183
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 07:46:02 am »

Trudy, IMO before you go man handling your awning, take Sue's advise and go to their web site and call them. They list their phone number on the FAQ page as the last question. If you bend it to much or you break it you will not be able to get any help from the manufacture. They may advise you to try bending it or not. There may be an adjustment you can make to the arms to pull it into the box better.  A phone call can be done without having to move the motorhome, saving you time. This is just what I think you should do, but it is up to you.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 07:48:31 am by TomHanlon » Logged

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 11:41:44 am »

Reporting on my 2007 14' box awning this morning.

I got on a ladder and while sighting down my awning, I cranked it open just a 1/2 " (basically cracked it open) and it was perfectly straight, not bowed in any way.  Then as I cranked it a few inches farther out, the ends bowed outward, obviously because that is where and when the spring loaded poles started to push harder.  Upon returning it to 1/2" from closing, the frame straightened out again.  So my point is ...the frame flexes a lot.

This has me now wondering if the two main spring loaded awning arms need all their hinge points lubricated well so they are able to fold inward without so much resistance.  Maybe the answer to your troubles is in a can of WD40.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 03:00:15 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 04:42:51 pm »

Trudy,

I would be cautious (IMO) about using WD40.  WD40 does not contain any silicone and is a short term lubricant.  According to the Fiamma website their suggested maintenance is as follows:

"We recommend lubricating the spring loaded lateral arms at the elbows and at both ends every six months with a spray lubricant. Use silicone or a similar product to keep the awning running smooth and free. Also, we recommend lubricating the swivel joints at the top of the legs."

Sue

Barry and Sue 
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 09:26:38 pm »

"We recommend lubricating the spring loaded lateral arms at the elbows and at both ends every six months with a spray lubricant. Use silicone or a similar product to keep the awning running smooth and free. Also, we recommend lubricating the swivel joints at the top of the legs."

Sue
And there is your next thing to try Trudy.  Nice research Sue!

Trudy

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 07:58:13 pm »

Thank you all so much for all your advice. Great info on the website Sue. Never even thought to look there. Guess a phone call is next for us (and some silicone spray). Ron, thanks for taking the time to check your awning. Again, will keep u all posted once we find time to deal with this!

Trudy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: