Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Window Awnings vs. Sun Screens  (Read 1163 times)
bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: February 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2006
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2012, 02:57:35 pm »

Living in the South, I need to get more heat shielding on my motorhome.  I currently have the standard day/nite shades on the windows and use a white exterior cover for the cab windows.  I am thinking about going to the internal fitted reflective shades for the windshield and side cab windows and either window awnings on the three large side windows or the new pull down exterior sunscreens that you can see thru from the inside.  What are the rest of you using?  Thanks for any advice.

Jerry
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 312
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 10/17/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 04:24:08 pm »

Jerry

Here is a link to an old posting I made concerning our sun screen.  They work great, easy to install, provide privacy during the day, keep the heat and sun out and look professional.

http://www.phoenixusarv.com/community/index.php/topic,159.msg563.html#msg563

This would be a partial solution (cab area) you may want to do this with the rest of the windows, it up to you.

IF you have any questions send me an e-mail.

Barry

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
GoPhoenix

Helpful Rating: 40
________
PurchDate: 12/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
ExtColor: Full body grey
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 09:32:47 am »

We bought the Magna Shades from the factory when we bought out 3100 December 2010 very pleased with them http://www.phoenixusarv.com/community/index.php/topic,427.0.html   They work great in a campground.  Got tired of replacing the white vinyl wrap-around covers.  They started looking bad after a year, caused paint chipping during high winds one time (flopping magnets), and could not stand them at a campground like to look out when inside.  For storage, I use the side Magna Shades on the inside, works well, and a HEATSHIELD Windshield Custom-fit Sunshade in the windshield: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002L6KQK/ref=oh_o04_s00_i00_details.  Very envious of those folks with inside storage.

I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.
GoPhoenix

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 12:58:28 pm »

One more really great thing about the Magna Shades, you can roll down the driver and passenger side windows.  It lets a breeze though and keeps the sun out, helping keep the cab cool always a problem in the sun.

I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 01:24:12 pm »

Sunpro makes a nice shade.

http://www.sunpromfg.net/Class-C-Windshield-Covers-s/47.htm

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 177
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 12:53:06 pm »

Just for reference to other readers, not to address the situation in-full.

A couple years ago I bought affordable silver reflecting "Made For Ford Econoline" pop-open sun shades from Wal-Mart.  They cover just the inside of the windshield, blocking out the sun and cannot be looked through into the rig at night.  They store nicely in a seat back pocket.  The van door glass is not considered.  They work great for the quick daily no-fuss application, but for extended stays or storage in hot climates, this is not as good as what you people are using.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
JackD

Helpful Rating: 23
________
PurchDate: May 2012
Model: 2350 Sprinter
ExtColor: Platinum
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 10:07:31 am »

FWIW - I really like the Magna shades from the factory, for all reasons stated by others.
Jack
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 02:09:11 pm »

When we traded in our class a we had Magna shades and loved them. We purchased them in Quartzsite, they came to the rig, made a temple then shipped when done. Fit perfect. Hated to give them up.

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
DownBy TheRiver

Helpful Rating: -3
________
OwnPC: No
PurchDate: Hopefully soon
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2910D is my favorite model
IntColor: Dusk
ExtColor: Dusk
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 12:35:11 am »

Those Magna Shades would be something I'd have to have.  Love being able to open the side driver & passenger windows beneath.

For maximum shade/cooling, you have to shade the outside of a window before the sun gets through.  Once the sun penetrates the glass, solar heating is occurring.
Dick & Trish

Helpful Rating: 4
________
PurchDate: 09/2010
ExtColor: ,Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 11:30:10 am »

Trish and I love our sunscreens.  We purchased them through Amanda at the factory.  They are great for air circulation inside the motorhome.  They are very easy to install.  We dry camp a lot so at night we simply raise the side windows high enough to prohibit anyone from reaching inside to open the door.  We roll them up and stow them behind the sofa/bed in our Model 3100.  We highly recommend them.
begentle

Helpful Rating: 1
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: Jan 2012
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Sterling & Cherry
ExtColor: Sterling Full
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 11:24:03 am »

Agreed, these shades are AWESOME!  Especially living in the SW, where sun is intense.  And easy install.  Look very sexy, too!  Allows good vision OUT the windows, little vision IN the windows.  Don't have to draw the stiff pleated curtain for privacy during the day.

At night, with lights on you can see inside.  We've found that the set of two spring loaded auto windshield shades are a good substitute for pulling the curtain.  I like being able to get to the dash, use the swivel seat without having the curtain hanging down, access things stored on the driver seat, etc.  Increases the usable space in the coach when you don't have to pull the curtain.  A SUPER JUMBO set of the shades fits the front windshield like a glove, and even curves around the mirror post.  JUMBO sized pair fit on the side windows.  Bottom edge rests on the door armrest.  Edge toward inside of coach tucks a little bit behind the seat belt hardware to old that edge in place, and the edge near the front window sort of takes care of itself -- the visor can help hold it in place.  Nice privacy.  And easy to store when not in use. (Yes, we've got the hang of twisting and folding them for storage -- finally!)

Deena

The Gentles
GoPhoenix

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 04:40:29 pm »

We also love these shades.  Our shades are pictured on the company website: http://www.phoenixusarv.com/announcements.html.  One great feature is the ability to roll down the two front side windows allowing a breeze through with the side shades on.  And with the front shade on, the cab stays cools on most days.  Wink
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 10:03:44 am by gophoenix » Logged

mciai2000
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 09/2011
Model: 2552
IntColor: grey
ExtColor: full body night shadow
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 10:08:39 pm »

We have gone the Ron Dittmer route.  We have those silver shades.  For the side windows throughout the rv we have cut the silver shades to match the window exactly and put them behind the roll down shades.  They stay in place that way.  The side windows in the cab work the same way. 

I have spent way way way way too much on that motorhome as it is to buy those fancy shades.  I guess I have to be retired and live on a fixed income to be able to justify the expense of them.  Lol.   Sorry, I could not resist...

DJM

family is a passion...work is a requirement
2012 2552 full body paint(Phoenix # 2)
GoPhoenix

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 01:39:33 pm »

I can understand viewing the shades as fancy, but I think after having them, most folks would use the word practical.  Sure is for us being parked for a week up to weeks at a time.  nod

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: