Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Advice regarding purchasing a PC. We are new to the PC and B+ World  (Read 974 times)
paako

Helpful Rating: 0
________
OwnPC: No
NewUsed: New
Model: 2100
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2012, 09:29:42 pm »

Greetings to all,

My wife and I are in the market to purchase a new PC. We just sold (1-12-2012) our 2008 45' Country Coach, Quad Slide, Class A Motor Home and have decided to downsize for a multitude of reasons.  We have beginning to do our homework at this stage and would like as much feedback regarding the do's and don't of features we should not have on our PC and features that are a MUST to have.  I have no doubt about the quality and customer service that the company provides it's customers.  The discussions I have read regarding customer service have been very positive and impressive.  We understand that we will have considerable less space then in the Country Coach but that is a plus for us at this point.  We are focusing on at least a 27' model and more then likely the 2910 or 3100 model. Two slides are a must at this point with a 3rd as a consideration.

We welcome any and all comments, suggestions and questions that current PC users have so we can make an informed buying decision.

Thanks to all for your forthcoming comments.

Sincerely,

David
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
OwnPC: Yes
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
Model: 3100
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 10:17:56 pm »

Hello David and welcome, we have a 3100 one slide and love it. Had a 27' trailer then I got a bug up my butt and wanted a 36' A. We pulled the trailer with a 7.3 diesel ford truck. The A had a v10, and not real happy with that. In the cruiser is a v10 but does not weight as much as the A. I have been considering the Banks System for the v10, can add up to, (can add up to ???) 56 HP? I'm not looking for a big increase in mpg just think I would enjoy the extra HP. The one slide is comfortable for us and yes there is not all that much storage. Not after the A. A few things I would have liked to change, move the fire ext and just small electric outlets. I'm fairly handy and did all my improvements. If you do your dealing by phone keep good notes. If possible record everything, make for lot less confusion. We like ours and so far not to many real big problems? Billy

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 174
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 10:19:42 pm »

Hi David,

Welcome to our little community of PC owners.

Given you are down-sizing to one of the largest PC models, I won't be of much help in recommendations given I own a small PC-2350.  I will leave that up to the PC owners of the largest models.

Again, Welcome!

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 39
________
OwnPC: No
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 11:11:52 pm »

We went from an "A" to out of Rv'ing, didn't last long, got a trailer, two trips and it was gone.  We found a lightly used PC 2700 (27') two slide and can highly recommend it. And a couple of "helps" from the factory that no longer had an obligation, but, did anyway.   That was much appreciated and a sales point in PC's favor for future consideration.

I pull a 3500lb mini SUV (Vitara) and the V-10 will do everything I need it to.  The only caution on the V-10 is higher gear ratio in the shorter PC lengths.

If you need specifics pm/email and I will get back with you.

L. G.
GoPhoenix

Helpful Rating: 40
________
PurchDate: 12/2010
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
ExtColor: Full body grey
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 10:23:01 am »

We went from a 2900 (no longer made) to a 3100.  The problem with the rear slide is limited access to closets when the slide is in and, of course, you cant use the bed with the slide in.  The same would be true for the 2910.  In the 3100, you can camp and have full access to everything with the slide in.  And the bed is longer.  Also, there is a lot more overall storage space in the 3100.  And the 3100 has a longer wheel base (rides better) while only 10 longer and without the extra weight and possible mechanical problems of two more slides.  One bonus is the outside storage compartment on the drivers side under the slide, which is not on any other model.  I use it for electric cords, water hoses, and the associated accessories.  Easy to get to when hooking up.  I removed all the hardware from the rear storage and use it to store chairs.  And a huge advantage for us is the permanent dinette.  That, along with also having a sofa and a spot for a recliner, works really well for us (when watching TV, Im in the recliner and shes asleep on the sofa  nod).

Some other changes we made: the best was no carpet, but think thats standard now.  Next best was a light over the vanity which I think should be standard on all models.  Its the only light we use the bathroom.  Really great for shaving and makeup; more light yet softer.  The light has a wall switch just above the tank heater switch highly, highly recommended.  We added an external holder for a standard sewer hose.  The Sani-Con system is good, but we often stay for weeks at a time, so a standard hose works best then.  Also, we added a countertop covering for the wood shelf next to the sink.  The wood shelf is not practical for doing dishes and for hot dishes.  We added small shelves above the beds to hold reading glasses, TV remote, etc. dont know what wed do without those shelves.  We had reading lights installed above the sofa and beds (visible in the pic).  We have the usual extra options: bedroom TV, backup monitor, surround sound, leveling jacks and dual pane windows (for both weather and sound insulation) all recommended.  Also had a CB antenna installed during construction.  Dont have the automatic satellite dish dont have satellite at home.

For the sofa, the current models come with the newer double reclining seats that also make a bed.  But I wouldnt change our setup for anything.  Our sofa folds out and uses an Aerobed for the mattress.  I have seen some folks grumble about the Aerobed, but weve never had a problem with it.  The huge plus for our sofa is the full a width/depth drawer under the sofa that holds a ton of stuff and easy access.  Really great.

As for a tow vehicle, I would recommend a small SUV (we tow a Chevy HRR and love it). They will hold a grill and lots of stuff that theres not room for in the PC.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 11:22:48 am by gophoenix » Logged

I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 87
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 11:23:10 am »

Welcome to the Forum. We are on our 2nd PC and feel that we made some good choices on this last one. We have a 2011 2551 now. The previous PC was a 2010 2350. That being said, I cannot give you any suggestions on the 2910 or 3100, although we were in a 3100 belonging to Syd and Margo at Franklin Locks COE Park in Ft. Myers FL a couple of weeks ago and found it very comfortable.

We did order our PC with insulated glass. It seems to cut down on road noise and I am a very light sleeper so the insulated windows help in that regard.

We also had the factory change out the wood counter extension to the same Corian that is used on the counters. That certainly is more practical than the wood.

Check out what Barry and Sue did the the Corian bathroom sink insert. They have posted photos on the Forum of the mods that they have made. Great ideas!

Judi

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
Dick & Trish

Helpful Rating: 4
________
PurchDate: 09/2010
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: ,Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 03:06:35 pm »

My wife and I went to the factory a year ago determined to purchase a new Model 2551. We had just sold our 37 foot 1996 Beaver Monterey and wanted to downsize to something more manageable.  We were into the 2551 until we saw the new PC Model 3100.  We love the features and benefits ot the 3100.  I can use the table for computer work and reading while she uses the sofa for reading and tv.  We carry an electric skillet and pots and pans under the sofa in the drawer.  We like Zero Gravity lounge chairs and we carry two behind the drivers seat.  We had custom covers made for them and they stow perfectly.   

I was ashamed of all the excess junk and stuff we had carried for years in our first coach.  We now have close to 17,000 miles on our new home and we still haven't filled all of the storage compartments.

We also love the fact that we do not have to open the slide everytime we stop overnight.  We spend a lot of time on the road dry camping.  We have learned to conserve our resourses and storage tanks so that we can dry camp 5 to 7 days as we travel.

Good luck on your search.  You have come to a great little company in Phoenix Cruiser and family.
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 11:11:56 pm »

pyhoWas the light over the sink factory?   Is it 12v or110 ?

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
ge_montana

Helpful Rating: 6
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: January 4, 2012
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: green
ExtColor: green half
________

I love Photography, sailing and fishing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 05:10:42 pm »

What is the white pipe in the third photo used for?

gemontana

Greg Matthews
Photographer
EastOfYellowstone.com
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 05:20:45 pm »

He stores his extra sewer hose in the white pipe.  Sewer hoses are not neccessary for PCs, but some PC owners like to carry one for extended stays at one place.  Then they don't have to go outside now and then to turn on the mascerator pump to empty the tanks.  The tanks will continuously drain using the hose, bypassing the pump method.  The hose is a pain when on-the-run, draining the tanks on a regular basis.  But if parked for many days or weeks at a time, the hose is the better choice.

GoPhoenix

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 07:05:08 am »

The light over the sink was factory installed and the light switch is over the tank heater switch (same switch but unmarked).   Its 12v.  We love it, best of mods we made.  Yes, the white tube is for a standard sewer hose.  Were in Florida (http://www.rockcrushercanyon.com), been here two months and will be here another month.  The standard sewer hose works great for this type of camping.  I dont leave the drain open though.   The 3100 has a larger gray tank than other models (50 gal.).  Just open the black tank when full, then the gray tank to rinse.  Much faster than the pump, less noise, and less wear on the pump.  But thinking about replacing the sensors on the black tank they show full all the time.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 07:08:45 am by gophoenix » Logged

I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 09:26:02 am »

I wonder if you filled up the tanks with fresh water, then added a pint of bleach  to each tank, then let sit an hour, if that would clean off the sensors.  If not bleach, maybe a septic tank cleaner of some sort.

TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 172
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 10:09:49 am »

Please be carefull about using " septic tank cleaner ". Septic tanks do not have rubber seals like the holding tanks have around the gate valves. Some of the " septic tank cleaner " can kill the rubber. Read the warning labels before using them. You might try some of the black tank probe cleaners sold at your local RV store or Camping World. I have heard of some people having some success putting a bag of ice cubes in the tank with some water and driving around. The ice is to bang on the probe and knock off the paper and other stuff on the probe.

On my first PC, I replaced the probes with these "http://www.rvprobes.com/buyprobes.html". They seemed to work better for the year I had them in the PC.  I was surprised to see that the probe part on the inside, was just a small button while these are about two inches long. I have not had the new PC long enough to find out if I will order a set of these.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
GoPhoenix

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 02:13:46 pm »

According to the video (http://www.rvprobes.com/howitworks.html) on the replacement probes, its not the paper on the probes but scum on the walls that transmits the electrical charge that fools the sensors.  The ice cube trick seems to be a temporary fix.  I read one story on installing them: the standard sensors are held in place by a rubber grommet that expands inside when the screws are tightened and will come out with gentle prying as opposed to pushing them on into the tank...???  Or just leave them in place and drill new holes.

Frank

Helpful Rating: 12
________
PurchDate: April 2012
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: green
ExtColor: green
________

CHEERS 2008 2551 (Yooper Kermit)

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2012, 02:20:03 pm »

I made up a piece of 1/2" PVC about 3 ft. long with an ell about3' long and an addaptor
to garden hose. At 1' above the long end, drill 4-1/8' holes at 90 degree angles.
Hook up hose, shove it down the toilet, rotate while moving up &  down & it will
do a good job of cleaning sensers.
Another thing we started doing a coup;e years ago, was to have a plastic grocery
bag handy to put the toilet paper in. No paper to clog up the sensers. Tie the bag, into the
trash--vola!!  Should do wonders for not pluging the pump either.

Frank & Dee  CHEERS!!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: