Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Solved Chronic Microwave Oven Loosening Then Rattling  (Read 78 times)
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 212
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Green&Gray Cherry
ExtColor: Full Body Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« on: September 22, 2016, 03:43:25 pm »

After nine years, I think I resolved the loosening and then rattling of the microwave oven, thanks to this idea from my cousin Richard.

I removed the six screws around the perimeter and pulled out the microwave oven.

I drilled the top two and middle two holes in the cabinet bigger to accept spiked "T" nuts, the kind often used in furniture, and used threaded screws and lock washers to replace the four wood screws.  I replaced the bottom two wood screws with other wood screws that cosmetically match the upper four.  All hardware used as shown.

Here is one spiked "T" nut pressed into the enlarged hole from the inside of the cabinet.  The hole in the "T" nut is threaded.

I added thick felt pads on the plastic rear feet and thin felt pads on the front rubber feet as not to change the height in front.

I reinstalled the microwave and was then able to tighten down hard the top 4 screws, much tighter than before when they were wood screws.  The bottom two screws had to remain wood screws because there was no means to insert the "T" nuts.

Hopefully the rattling is over for good.  Previously, I had to occasionally tighten up the six wood screws which helped for a while but they would loosened up again and then came the rattling.  I just could not tighten them enough without stripping them.

Thanks Richard!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 08:01:48 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron & Irene Dittmer, 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 127
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May 2013
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 08:21:39 pm »

Nice job Ron! (as usual) I am ever in awe at your improvements. We have a little rattle at our microwave and I thought it was because a screw was missing from the light cover on the bottom BUT it is only designed to have one screw so the other side jiggles and rattles. It is a home style microwave, not an RV one so the manufacturers weren't worrying about the rolling earthquake effect. Bobby at the factory suggested a thin bead of silicone caulk to "glue" down that edge of the metal. It can always be removed later if we have to get the cover off but it will stop the jiggle. HOWEVER, we are not Ron Dittmers so it may be awhile before we motivate and actually caulk the thing.

John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Spiritofthewoods.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: