Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Newfoundland  (Read 1108 times)
JackD

Helpful Rating: 23
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May 2012
Model: 2350 Sprinter
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Platinum
________

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2012, 11:02:04 am »

Does anyone have any information on Newfoundland?  We're planning a trip there, along with PEI this summer.

Thanks,
Jack
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 87
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 01:44:52 pm »

Jack,
Can't give you too much info on Newfoundland. For the last 3 summers, we have visited New Brunswick, PEI and Nova Scotia. We have met a few travelers along the way who have gone to Newfoundland.

Here's what I do know--
There are 2 Ferries that leave Sydney on Cape Breton Island for NFLD. One is 6 hours and the other is 14 hours. Also, it is VERY expensive. Don't remember what the cost was but somehow I recall close to $1000 USD. We thought of doing it but the cost was way too much-as well as the additional time involved.

If you are up that way, make sure you you visit Cape Breton. We spent 5 days there and it is definately in the running for a return trip in the coming years. Nova Scotia is beautiful and there are so many interesting things to see and do.

If you need any further info on campgrounds, things to do and see and other stuff, don't hesitate to ask.

Judi

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: February 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 02:17:48 pm »

General rule for anything you're interested in - Google it.  As indicated previously, there is apparently one ferry company with two routes out of North Sidney to NFL.  The website, which I found on Google with 2012 schedules and rates is http://www.marine-atlantic.ca/eng/about-marine-atlantic.asp.  The fare is not a straight forward $XX, but a buildup of charges for the RV, each passenger and pet, a cabin accomodation if desired, and fuel surcharges on everything.  You can check it out and see if it's worth it to you.  We keep talking about the Maritimes, but so far have only visited via Holland America on a two week cruise from Boston to Montreal and back.  It is certainly beautiful country and we saw a lot of good looking RV parks.

Jerry
JackD

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 11:10:57 am »

Thanks folks, for the responses ---

Judi - I did read your previous on the Maritime, and I'm not sure what we'll get into -- I've been to NS many years ago on business, and really enjoyed, but Linda hasn't, so may try to work it in.  I've not been thrilled with NB (long story), but the couple we're going with has been to NB,NS, & PEI, and now wants to see NFLN.  Since we will only take 4 weeks, I have to do some serious planning to get it all in!!!

I have been to "Google" & have several travel books, but wanted to see if any of our group have made the trip.   That said, I didn't realize the ferry was that expensive --- I do have a phone number to verify the price, so will try that.  I don't think my friend realized it either!!!  Oh well, you can't take it with you!!!

Thanks again for the help,
Jack
bigbadjc

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 12:51:25 pm »

Regarding the ferry price to Newfoundland, two things probably contribute to the high price.  First, they have a monopoly.  As far as I know, only one company offers service.  Second, austerity also came to Canada a couple of years ago.  When we up there on a cruise, we saw a couple of ferries tied up because the government pulled their subsidies away and without them, they were not profitable. Things are tough in the travel business these days.

Jerry
JackD

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 11:03:06 am »

Yes Jerry, I read that some of the ferries through the Maritime have been discontinued --- certainly doesn't say much for tourism -- however, it's the same all over the world - and if fuel prices keep going up it may even get worse.  We will be getting together with our friends in a couple of weeks to plan the trip -- may end up watching a travel video with a glass of wine in the driveway!!!  Smile
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 58
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 06:25:15 am »

Hey Jack, you can always come up here to the top of the mountain and park it in our driveway. Just bring the wine.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
JackD

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 02:35:51 pm »

I might just do that, Bob!!!

However, the ferry thing is looking better than I expected -- unless I'm missing something, and using the website Jerry included, the rate for Linda, Me & the RV should be around $270 (Cn) each way. I'm sure the gas, etc. will be much more --- anyway, I'll be able to tell more after the trip...

Thanks, all, for your help/info
Jack
gradygal
SuperHero Member

________
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 03:25:20 pm »

Jack,
You are correct with the Fare. That fare is from North Sydney to Port aux Basques.

The fare from North Sydney to Argentia. for us in our 2551, would be $854 CDN. The exchange rate yesterday was $1.01.

Judi

Punta Gorda FL
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 58
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 03:54:03 pm »

Any time.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
bigbadjc

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 06:20:55 pm »

All this talk about the Maritimes is getting me excited.  I just made the final payment for my wife and I to take a train tour from Vancouver to Halifax in mid-April.  It's a trip of about 4000 miles.  We'll have sleeper coaches on the trains and hotel stays in Vancouver, Jasper, Toronto, Montreal, and Halifax.  We've been to all these places before in our RV, on cruise tours, and a week in Toronto, but we're really looking forward to the train expeience.  Seeing Halifax again may get my interest up in making an RV trip up there.  We'll just have to wait and see.  It's beautiful country.

Jerry
JackD

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 03:34:24 pm »

Thanks Judi --- you're right --- I priced the ferry with the shorter trip to Port aux Basques --- Do you know of any advantage in going into Argentia?  I know you are familiar with the area...we will have a few weeks in Nflnd so don't mind the drive at this point, and will be at campgrounds around the Provence.  I want to spend a little time on cape Britain as well -- we'll see how the time goes.  It's a shame to have to commit to a schedule....

Jerry, your trip is supposed to be fantastic!  I've heard of it, and it is the dream trip of many Canadians -- I think the hotels are owned by the Cdn railroad -- I stayed in one in Halifax (I think) on business ( Smile ) many years ago, and very nice.  Have fun!!!!

Jack
gradygal
SuperHero Member

________
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 02:22:54 pm »

Jack,
I really don't know why I priced the longer route--guess I  am getting senile! Anyway, on the RV.Net forum there is a thread on Newfoundland 2012. It's in the RVing in Canada and Alaska Forum.

At some point, I would like to see Newfoundland.

Judi

Punta Gorda FL
JackD

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 10:20:40 am »

Judi - Thanks for the info on the RV.net forum - I'll check it out.  Also, I'll let you know about our trip when we return -
Jack 
Paul/Marilyn

Helpful Rating: 15
________
PurchDate: 07/12
Model: 2100
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Standard
________

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2012, 05:59:36 pm »

We've wanted to post to you since you ask for info on Newfoundland but weren't members of the Forum when it came in.
   We're in North Texas and took our Lance camper (haven't gotten a Cruiser yet) to Newfoundland from May 29 to June 23, 2007. Drove 7,663 mi. Should have taken longer for the trip. It was a wonderful, but sometimes awful, trip. The awful was the weather. From the day we drove out of our driveway all the way there and back we had rain, heavy rain, almost every day. We've been to Nova Scotia and PEI (not rving then) before and loved it but never Newfoundland. We took the six-hour ferry ride from North Sidney to Port au Basque. We didn't think the cost was too outrageous at that time. We do remember the cost depended on the length of the vehicle and number of people. The ferry trip was great. They have a small restaurant and even entertainment (then, a singing, guitar playing couple) in the lounge. By the way, if you have a dog (or other pet, I assume) you have to either leave it in your rv or in kennels they have somewhere on the ferry. They let you go for a short visit half-way through the trip.
   Drove up the west coast to the northernmost point of Newfoundland at L'Ance au Meadows. After all the rain and fog that was the most beautiful drive. Worth every rainy day! Sun, blue ocean and many, many white icebergs. Absolutely wonderful. We visited the L'Ance au Meadows NHS where evidence has been found of the first Viking settlement. Very interesting museum with a recreated Viking home.
   We wanted to go to Labrador (mostly to say we've been) but realized that there are very few roads. Most of the travel is by ferry so didn't go over. There are signs all along the roads saying Watch for Moose. They mean it! Not only might you run into them but they might run into you. Very unpredictable. We drove across the middle of Newfoundland to the east coast. Lots of neat little fishing villages. There, mostly fog, lots of fog. In St. John, the furthest east point in North America it was completely fogged in. At least we can say we were there. Just like we're not convinced there is a Mount McKinley in Alaska since it was covered with fog when we were there. Oh, well, that's the wonder of travel.  LOL
   We drove back to Port au Basque for the return ferry ride. We'd love to do it again sometime but we'd certainly take more time. Hope you enjoy it tremendously!
Marilyn & Paul
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: