Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Batteries  (Read 904 times)
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
Model: 3100
Slide: Yes
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2012, 09:34:32 pm »

With FHU does anyone disconnect the batteries?

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 319
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 09:59:27 pm »

Billy

We disconnect the batteries any time we are hooked up to shore power.  However, there still seems to be a small charge into the batteries even with the switch in the store position.  We are not totally sure it functions as a complete battery shut off.   

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
billy
SuperHero Member

________
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 10:10:14 pm »

So the frig runs with FHU and no battery, thats good to know. With my BIG 15 watt solar panel it should keep up? 

Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 08:56:40 am »

Billy,

Just remember, when you disconnect the shore power and want the Frig to run on propane, turn the batteries back on.

Barry and Sue 
Paul/Marilyn

Helpful Rating: 14
________
PurchDate: 07/12
Model: 2100
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Standard
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 08:46:18 pm »

You know we're new, but, what is FHU? We can think of appropriate, and inappropriate, things it might stand for but probably haven't come up with the right thing.  LOL
Paul & Marilyn
billy
SuperHero Member

________
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 11:05:10 pm »

No problems, Full Hook Ups. Like everything else its easy when you know.       Heart Shower

echo11

Helpful Rating: 6
________
PurchDate: 4/18/2011
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: No
IntColor: maple/ biege
ExtColor: umbre
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 06:23:41 am »

Can someone explain why you would not want to have the batteries on with FHU?  What are the pros and cons?   

Up until now, my understanding was that the battery should be on with FHU to- help charge the batteries and to run things controlled by the batteries.  In a recent post, it mentioned that the batteries can't be overcharged.

We picked up our PC last Spring and due to family issues, our longest trip was 4 nights.  We will soon be taking a 3 week trip from MA to FL.  We want to make sure we are using the PC correctly!
Any insight would be appreciated!
Thanks- Roni 
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 189
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 07:27:13 am »

When you are plugged into 120v (shore power) at a campsite the converter in your PC will charge the house batteries. In the old days, just a few years ago, the converters had one stage of charging, full power. Todays converters have two or three stages and can they can read the status of the batteries. When you plug into the shore power, the converter comes on full power, then as the batteries get to full charge the converter goes into a maintenance level (about 2 amps) to maintain the batteries. The older converters would keeping trying to charge the batteries even after they became fully charged. This would cause the water in the batteries to boil out of the batteries, thus killing the batteries. This was called "cooking" the batterers.

I don't know exactly when PC started using the multi-stage converters, but I think it was around 2008 or 2009.  Since  you have a 2011 PC, you can and should leave the batteries on when plugged into shore power. The only time you should disconnect the batteries is when you need to store the PC for two or more weeks without hooking up.

I hope this answers your question.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
echo11

Helpful Rating: 6
________
PurchDate: 4/18/2011
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: No
IntColor: maple/ biege
ExtColor: umbre
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 09:54:34 am »

Tom,
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer.
This does help- it doesn't seem like there is any down side to keeping the battery on.
Roni
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 10:59:24 am »

you can and should leave the batteries on when plugged into shore power. The only time you should disconnect the batteries is when you need to store the PC for two or more weeks without hooking up.

Tom,

Why should you leave the batteries on when plugged into shore power?  Since the converter provides 12v when you are plugged into shore power there should be no drain on the batteries so why charge them constantly.

The only time you should disconnect the batteries is when you need to store the PC for two or more weeks without hooking up.

What is the signficance of the two week timeframe?  We usually sit for two weeks at a time - being at the COE Parks they only allow 14 days at one time so we move to the next one for 14 days.

Barry

Barry and Sue 
Paul/Marilyn

Helpful Rating: 14
________
PurchDate: 07/12
Model: 2100
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Standard
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 11:49:07 am »

OH! OF COURSE!! ThankYou
Thanks.
Marilyn & Paul
bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 133
________
PurchDate: April 2010
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 11:56:04 am »

Our 2010 2551 has the three stage charger that goes into maintenance mode when the batteries are fully charged.  I was leaving the batteries connected all the time because I believed they would not be over charged.  Last year the PC was plugged in while stored in my garage and the batteries were connected for about a month; I checked the batteries before a trip and found that water (and acid) had boiled out of the batteries making a big mess.  I took the batteries and shelf out and cleaned and repainted.  I am not sure why that happened, but now I disconnect the batteries after they are fully charged while plugged in to shore power.

To tell when the batteries are charged, I turn on the inverter panel to see the battery voltage and when the voltage drops to it's lowest reading (13.2 on my inverter) I disconnect them, I wait a couple hours to be sure they are fully charged.

Before the boil over, I used to keep the water level touching the fill indicators in the cells, now I keep the level about 1/8 inch below the indicators.  So far no more boil over but I also don't leave the batteries connected while plugged in for extended peiods.

All 12v circuits will operate with the batteries disconnected when plugged in because the converter/charger supplys power to all 12v circuits.  I do have to remember to connect the batteries before driving off so that the refer will run.

Not sure why I had the boil over and I have not heard of others having the problem, so others can probably safely leave the batteries connected, but I wanted to share my experience.
Bob

2010  PC 2551
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 189
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 04:10:07 pm »

Barry,

If you take a battery and put it on your workbench not connected to anything it will start to lose a small amount of its power.  If you come back in two or three weeks and check it, you will see this drop in power. I could of said three or four weeks as it is not a exact time frame before you can see the drop. When I worked at the RV dealership we always disconnected the batteries when leaving a motorhome. Every couple of weeks we would start the motorhomes to charge the batteries, dry the exhaust system and let the oil flow in the engine, even then when we went to start the motorhomes some of them would need a jump. My PC has been plugged into shore power since last November and the water in the batteries is still full.  I am sure that Kermit can give you a better explanation than I can if you call him.
Tom

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: February 2010
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 05:27:08 pm »

On the BT Cruiser I had before my PC 2551 even when I turned the battery off at the cabin switch, it would gradually discharge, sometimes all the way.  I discovered on that MH that some of the wired analyzers (LPG and CO) were, I assume for safety's sake, directly wired from the battery rather than through the switch. Once they drew it down low enough it accelerated because they started sounding low voltage warnings, putting more strain on the battery.  I finally put an inline switch disconnect on the alarm circuit and turned them off when parked.  By the way, your automotive battery may also rundown over time because the sophisticated computer crap in the engine controls runs checks every so often according to the mechanic I use.  He installs simple disconnects at the battery terminal to let owners isolate the battery.  The only downside is when you reconnect, you'll have to reset your clock and engine will have to do some learning about the way you drive for a couple of miles to optimize the ignition and fuel controls.

Jerry
billy
SuperHero Member

________
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 06:04:40 pm »

How do you check to see if there is a draw on the batteries. With no shore power and batteries off?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: