Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Any pets travel with you?  (Read 6279 times)
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 78
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May 2013
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2014, 06:03:43 am »

Mikes post reminded me to update on Snickers, the nanny cat, who travels with us everywhere. After a few nights of misery in the new surroundings, she settled in. She does not like to be confined while traveling (and yowls continuously) but as a free kitty she now has her travel routine down pat. As soon as she sees us locking down to travel, she gets in the corner of the passenger side bed under the shirt closet. She can brace herself there for the turns and bumps (good exercise for an 18 year old cat). However, about 5 minutes after we hit steady highway speed she heads to the front and requests her throne on the passengers lap.  As soon as the coach downshifts once or twice or she feels it rolling down an exit ramp, she heads back to the bed and braces for those turns. We do have a harness and leash and outdoor pet pen but she is not fond of any of them. She seems to prefer being in her carrier with the door open so she can see without being seen. Too many scary doggies in the campgrounds.

Snickers would love that snoozer bed... preferably up front where she can see out. I guess I'd get the couch.

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 172
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2014, 07:39:14 am »

Jim, is your friend aware that some campgrounds only allow two dogs per site? Just something to be aware of.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Pax

Helpful Rating: 44
________
PurchDate: July
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
________

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2014, 09:41:23 am »

Tom: Well aware....they've traveled with three extensively in TT's before the PC.

- Mike
Big Green Machine

Helpful Rating: 1
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 02/22/14
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Sage and Beige
ExtColor: Green, Full body
________

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2014, 03:04:58 pm »

We travel with Cricket, a small chihuahua-papillon mix. Very good traveler, but at the first sign of preparing for a trip, she heads out to the RV & won't get out! Sometimes the wife does the same thing...

2011 PC-2551 w/ slide.
Rich, Bonnie, & Cricket.
Unit available for showing anytime!
Pax

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2014, 10:12:58 pm »

I hear ya!  When we get the harnesses out our 2 Poms go crazy for 15 seconds and then prepare to be outfitted. 

You have GOT to post a picture of what a chihuahua-papillon mix looks like!   I'm imagining a hot dog with wings, but I'm probably way off!

- Mike
Big Green Machine

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2014, 03:12:23 pm »

Hope this works! This is the Cricket. You can't really see the butterfly ears unless you are standing above her. Plus, we keep her trimmed short most of the time to keep down the shedding!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 02:17:35 pm by Big Green Machine » Logged

2011 PC-2551 w/ slide.
Rich, Bonnie, & Cricket.
Pax

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2014, 05:52:17 pm »

Omigosh, what a cutie!!!
Happy PC Owner

Helpful Rating: 0
________
PurchDate: March 2013
Model: 2900
ModelYear: 2009
IntColor: Grey ,tan and silver
ExtColor: Dusk Full
________

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2014, 02:17:40 pm »

We have two small dogs. One a Papillon mix and one a shih tzu mix, at least I think thats what they are! Hard to tell with rescue dogs. Have a question. When you are traveling do you have your dogs in crates or ?? I have mine on my lap but am concerned that isn't the best idea. Just wanted to see what others do.  ThankYou
BuffaloRose

Helpful Rating: 5
________
PurchDate: 3/3/2014
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2010
________

Earl & Rose

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2014, 04:38:46 pm »

Hi,  we traveled with a miniature dachshund for years. Good or bad, the only place she would ride was in my lap.  She was the very epitome of a lapdog. She passed away last year.  Because she traveled with us, we were never comfortable traveling without towing so we could leave her in comfort in the mototorhome while we toured areas.  Now we will try boon docking and touring in the 2350. Hoping we can park and hike, tour, whatever, without worrying about weather extremes and our beloved pet.

BuffaloRose
Big Green Machine

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2014, 05:14:32 pm »

Cricket wanders, sometimes in her bed on the floor or couch, but often hops up on a lap to check things out!

2011 PC-2551 w/ slide.
Rich, Bonnie, & Cricket.
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 172
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2014, 05:47:04 pm »

100 lbs german shepherd named Charlie. He rides any where he wants but in our laps. exactly!

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Bruce and Sharon

Helpful Rating: 35
________
PurchDate: 8/16/2013
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe lower body
Location: Summer in Pacific Grove and winter in Palm Desert, California
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2014, 07:14:37 pm »

Our 18 lb. Sparky the dog always travels with us.  He always wears his harness and a leash (same as used on dog walks) that attaches to one of the seat belts on the sofa.  The leash is just long enough that he can jump up to Sharon's lap in the front passenger seat when invited.  He usually stays on the sofa or on the floor between the two front seats, but occasionally wants more attention on a long trip.  He has learned to never jump up on my lap as I'm driving.  The leash would help me remove him quickly if he did try. 
When riding in the car he is always wearing a harness and a short leash that is attached to one of the rear seat belts so he can't come flying forward during a sudden stop.  It would probably be safer if his leash were shorter in the PC also, but we relax the safety rules a little to give him more freedom without increasing the risk too much.
Bruce and Sharon.

Bruce, Sharon, Sparky dog, & Minou kitty
Pax

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2014, 12:20:27 am »

Our two Pomeranians love their car seats, so we also use them in the PC (attached with the sofa seat belts).  They are soft and comfy (so they tell me) and have storage underneath.  They also sleep in them at night.

http://t.brookstone.com/dog-car-seats-331892p?catId=L3_AutoSaleView%7CL2_AutoSale%7CL1_Auto

They are available at a lot of different places.  With a couple of rest stops, they have no problem between campgrounds.

- Mike
Big Green Machine

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2014, 04:04:30 am »

Those look dandy!

2011 PC-2551 w/ slide.
Rich, Bonnie, & Cricket.
Pax

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2014, 09:37:25 am »

One of concerns while we travel is, of course, the welfare of our pets.  We have, and will continue to take them along on side trips as much as possible, since they enjoy it as much as we do.  But there are times when they are too tuckered out, or we want to go someplace that doesn't allow dogs.  If we intend on going for a full daylong sightseeing adventure, like in Washington, DC we plan on finding a good pet resort somewhere close by for the day or even overnight. 

But if it will just be for a few hours or so, we want to know they are safe and comfy in the rig, so we tested out a few things and settled (for now) on an iPad/iPhone app called 'Presence'.  It allows you to use the iPhone to remotely view the iPads cameras, like a security camera system.  You can also hear what is going on through the iPads microphone (incessant barking or growling)

We have two iPhones and two iPads, so we have the app on all of them.  We set up the iPads in strategic places in the rig so we can see the dogs from different angles.  We also have a dial thermometer viewable from one of the iPads so we know what the temp is in the rig (in case power goes out or there is some other problem and we lose the A/C or heat)

We tested it out in Bakersfield last week and it worked perfectly.  The temp was 94 degrees outside.  We went out to lunch and were able to open the app on our iPhone, see the dogs playing and the thermometer read 74 degrees in the rig.  We were even able to talk to them, which was kind of funny....they looked over at the iPad and cocked their heads from side to side, so we knew they could hear us.

The app can use cell or wifi, and we tried both.  They both worked flawlessly, although I would be leary of using wifi in most places unless the signal was very reliable.  Bakersfield RV Resort has an outrageously fantastic wifi set up, with towers throughout the park and the ability to stream without a hitch or dropout. The live video only streams when you are logged into the app, so you don't use up your data plan continuously.

The app is used for many things, and has features like motion detection, remote control of appliances or lights, etc.  The best part is that it's free!!  We highly recommend it (and we are not affiliated in any way with the company or product)

Here is where you can read more:

http://www.peoplepowerco.com/products/

- Mike
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: