Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Weather Radio  (Read 857 times)
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 319
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2012, 03:06:17 pm »

Thought we'd post a reminder to everyone to carry a weather radio with you when you travel.  We actually carry two of them.  One is used when we are on the road and the other is after we are setup. 
We made sure the CB we bought for traffic reports has the NOAA stations as well.  It is very easy to check the weather as we are heading down the road.
The second one is one we keep on at all times once we are setup.  The first thing my DW does when we set up is to put the weather radio on and tune in the local NOAA station.   

Barry

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
GoPhoenix

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 12/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
ExtColor: Full body grey
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 06:37:33 am »

Were headed home from Florida to Ohio.  Delayed leaving a day due to the weather, but still had some tense moments yesterday in central Georgia.  Youre right about having NOAA weather channels on the CB.  Constant updates as you drive.  And like you, a second weather radio when setup.  Have to winterize today. Cry  But leaving for the National Cherry Blossom Festival in D.C. in April.  Smile

I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 190
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 07:20:06 am »

"National Cherry Blossom Festival in D.C. in April"

I heard on the radio on Friday that the Cherry Blossom will be early this year, maybe even in the end of March. The NPS.gov website should have all the correct information on it. We already have flowers blooming that normally don't bloom until late March or early April. D.C. is about two weeks ahead of use in blooming times.

What weather radio do you recommend for when hooked up?

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 319
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 08:16:17 am »

We use the Midland WR-300.  We've had it for many years and it works great.  Actually went off twice at 4:00AM this morning due to the high winds at Fort Myers Beach.  We chose this one because you could add and remove alerts.  It will allow you to remove watches but not warnings.  At home we do not need the marine watches so we remove them. 
Most of the time we can set it up and not even need the antenna extended.  We will not travel or be at home without it.

http://www.midlandradio.com/Desktops-Weather.OCS/WR-300

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
GoPhoenix

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 12/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
ExtColor: Full body grey
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 09:01:02 am »

As for the National Cherry Blossom Festival, the official website says peak blossoms are expected to be March 2431 this year.  So we expect there not to be blossom one when we get there. sad Were going to the Adventure Caravans 11 Day Spring Mega Rally - Washington DC: http://www.adventurecaravans.com/usa/avc_usa_tours.asp?TCC=11RYRUWA2012990.  Weve been to two other Adventure Caravans events and have really been impressed.  Everything is absolutely first class. Talking to folks at the events, they fall all over themselves talking up the other events theyve been to.  You end up doing many things you would have never done on your own, often would have never considered doing or would even know to do.  One person had been to nearly 30 rallies and caravans!  One guy came to visit our PC three times; swore he was headed to Elkhart to visit the factory.  Dont know if he ever did.

But even if we miss the cherry blossoms, we are still anxious to see D.C. again, a place that you cant really see too often.  If you havent been there, go!!  Every American should absolutely see it at least once.

We are also going in the 32 Day Great River Road & Fall Colors Caravan: http://www.adventurecaravans.com/usa/avc_usa_tours.asp?TCC=32USMIS2012977.  It starts in Bemidji, MN where you can step across the Mississippi River and then follows the Mighty Mississippi all the way the other end in New Orleans.  It would be fun to have another PC in the group
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 12:41:05 pm by gophoenix » Logged

I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.
glenncc

Helpful Rating: 5
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 1/4/2011
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: No
IntColor: Desert Sage
ExtColor: Desert Sage / Fullbody paint
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 10:58:01 am »

I just thought I'd add my recent experience with weather warnings.  I bought a hand-held unit from Amazon for such purposes, but quickly discovered that leaving it in standby mode depleted the batteries in a matter of days.  By coincidence I recently bought a new flip phone (on Verizon) that I found has a built-in alert system for weather warnings.  It buzzes quite loudly and vibrates when a warming in my area is issued.  The genius of this system is that it automatically adjusts to wherever I am located unlike some weather alert devices that require a manual change in the geographic area in which you find yourself.  Now, I use the cell phone as my alert and I turn on my hand-held device to listen to the actual recorded message as my phone only provides a brief written message with that detail.  
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 11:12:45 am by glenncc » Logged

Glenn Canavan 2010 Model 2350 with no slide out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: