Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Storing plastic grocery bags  (Read 853 times)
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 296
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2012, 06:12:42 pm »

We seem to accumulate alot of plastic grocery bags while traveling and I use them as garbage bags so do mind them at all.  What I find best to keep them organized is to put them in an empty cardboard roll from paper towels or saran wrap (these are stronger than the paper towels rolls).  I can then store these under the sink and they take up very little room.  It keeps the plastic grocery bags in neat order and very easy to get to when needing a garbage bag.

Sue

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
begentle

Helpful Rating: 1
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: Jan 2012
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Sterling & Cherry
ExtColor: Sterling Full
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 08:41:57 pm »

OK, I'll share my OCD solution to storing bags (we also reuse them for trash in the Cruiser).

This is something to do when you just want to have the zen experience of folding bags!  Lay each bag flat, tuck in the edges neatly, fold lengthwise into to about 1/4 of the width of the bag.  Prepare several this way.  Then roll them up tightly, one at a time on top of the previous one (this way they peel off one at a time, not unrolling the whole wad!).  About 8-9 bags have a 1.5 inch diameter, about 2.5 inches tall. Secure each packet with a rubber band. 

Otherwise if I don't want to fuss with rolling, I just line my trash with 4-6 bags at a time, and when full, pull out the used one, and a fresh one is already in place!  Helps contain drips if I inadvertently line the trash with a bag with a pin hole in it.

I TOLD you it was a little compulsive!    sad

The Gentles
bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
PurchDate: February 2010
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 09:13:17 pm »

Another easy way of saving and dispensing used WalMart and Dollar General bags (you know where we shop on trips) is to use a tubular fabric sleeve with a drawstring at the top and an elastic hem at the bottom.  Some people make these or you can frequently find them in craft shops.  You just wad the bags in the top of the sleeve, which also has a hanging loop on it, and pull them out the elastasized hole in the bottom as you need them.  I think the sleeve we use is about 4" in diameter and about 12-14" long.  You can hang it or just stuff it in a cupboard.

Jerry
bigbadjc

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 09:19:23 pm »

I decided to look on Google and find an example of what I'm talking about.  Check the below link.

http://www.spacesavers.com/Organizers/Grocery-Bag-Holders/Soft-Bagstor-Soft-sided-Plastic-Bag-Holder?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=feed&gclid=CPufyrOX4K4CFQK9tgod6R-rYg

I'm not sure how this is going to come out.

Jerry
BGolden

Helpful Rating: 18
________
PurchDate: January 2008
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
IntColor: Maple/Beige
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 09:34:28 am »

One of the best ways of storing these bags, is in the refrigerator.  We use ours as "stuffies" to keep things from falling over or rattling. In the food cabinets in between glass jars, canned goods, any cabinet where items are loose the bags are great. Yup! the dish cabinet as well.

When not using them as stuffies I tuck them in behind the stove top.

Bill G

Eat

Bill and Karen Golden
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
Model: 3100
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 11:36:40 am »

I put ours in one of the plastic bags, then when I get 10-20 I take them down to be recycled, THEN we walk right into wallyworld and buy more of the dam things.     pulling hair out pulling hair out
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 12:27:30 pm by billy » Logged

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
bigbadjc

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 12:19:14 pm »

I second the motion that we should recycle our plastic bags over and above what we need for other things.  If we were all ecologicallly motivated, we'd bring our own cloth bags with us to WallyWorld.  We use the tote bags that Holland America leaves on our bed every cruise we take.  If not, you should take plastic over paper.  Believe it or not, it's better for the environment if recycled.  Check out this comparison on the web.   http://earth911.com/recycling/paper/brown-paper-bags/facts-about-brown-paper-bags/  This has nothing to do with the 30 years I spent in the oil industry.

Jerry
Frank

Helpful Rating: 12
________
PurchDate: April 2012
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: green
ExtColor: green
________

CHEERS 2008 2551 (Yooper Kermit)

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 12:52:43 pm »

Our soulution is to stuff them into an empty Kleenex box, and just pull
them out as needed.  Only thing wrong with this system is they tend to
breed & reproduce faster than we can use them.

Frank & Dee  CHEERS!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: