Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A/C problem again  (Read 784 times)
echo11

Helpful Rating: 6
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 4/18/2011
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: No
IntColor: maple/ biege
ExtColor: umbre
________

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2012, 07:48:44 pm »

Hi,
If you remember, while we were in Florida in April, we had a problem with the A/C.  Although it was cooling, after about 4 hrs, water was coming out of the A/C, running into the RV.  We had a mobile service check it out and whether it was too tight or too loose, nothing was found to be wrong.  It was then working fine. 
This past week we were in VT and it was working fine.  When we returned home, we plugged in to run the air while we were cleaning.  It was not cooling.  It was blowing warm air.  Also it would run for a few minutes and then cycle off. Within about 2 seconds it would kick back on.  Luckily, we are not currently camping.  We have an appointment to get it looked at on Tues.
I'll follow up with the forum after I find out what is wrong.
I did try to call the factory on Friday, but I think they have time off for the holiday.
Roni
grimes34

Helpful Rating: 1
________
NewUsed: Used
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: Yes
ExtColor: dirty
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 08:35:53 am »

Try running the Generator and see if the A/C works properly.

You have to be careful running the A/C while "plugged in" at home, you cant just plug into a home outlet with an extension cord and run the A/C.

You can fry the "motor starter" on the A/C,

http://www.a-1components.com/catalog/2010/a21.pdf

Thats what I did  pulling hair out !
echo11

Helpful Rating: 6
________
PurchDate: 4/18/2011
Model: 2350 Ford
Slide: No
IntColor: maple/ biege
ExtColor: umbre
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 01:39:54 pm »

To follow up, we just got back from our service place and the A/C is working fine.  First the tech ran it off the generator-everything fine.  Then plugged into electric with the 20 to 30 amp adaptor.  Again everything was fine.  He took the top off and checked everything from the roof end.  Also checked the connections from inside the RV.  He felt everything looked good and couldn't explain why we had had the problem.  He wanted to know if, when we had the problem, we had turned it off and tried again.  We had not done that.

We were never told not to run the A/C when at home with an adaptor going from 20 to 30 AMP.  Not sure I understand why that would be a problem.  It doesn't seem to use 20 AMPs.  We are due to "exercise" the generator.  So just to check it out again, we'll run the generator with the A/C.

TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 189
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 01:56:34 pm »

I have had problems with high humidity causing the condenser to ice up after running it for several hours while standing still. I just turn the A/C off for about 30 minutes and let it thaw out. Then all is OK again.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
keelhauler

Helpful Rating: 38
________
IntColor: Sunlit Maple
ExtColor: Sunlit - no paint
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 03:41:40 pm »

As long as your extension cord is at least #12 wire and your house has a 20 amp breaker you are fine.
If you buy one of those plug in 110v meters or just stick in a portable volt meter you can observe if the voltage drops when the A/C is running. 104v AC is as low as you should let the voltage be at.
It all depend one your home wiring size and length.

It's just that you should not go below 104V.

John
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 59
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 08:40:29 am »

We just got back from a 7-week, 7,000 mile voyage and I'm happy to report, aside from a computer that would not connect to the internet and flat tire on the TOAD, we had no major issues. ThumbsUp

However, our AC does an annoying thing; when running it with the fan continuously on low, after temperature is achieved and the compressor cycles to off, the fan stop completely, switches to high, runs for a few seconds, stops, switches to low and runs like that for a while before repeating the process. When running the fan on high, there is no problem. Any ideas? Help

Our AC runs OK when using a 25-foot 12 gauge extension plugged into a 20 Amp outlet.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: February 2010
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 08:45:00 am »

This is really a wild guess, but I wonder if your AC has some sort of icing detector doing this.  I know one thing that all the sources I've looked at say if you're having icing problems, you can minimize them by running the blower on high.  Running the blower on low while a low temperature is selected can lead to icing.  You might want to use at least medium on the blower at all times.

Jerry
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 09:22:01 am »

Jerry,
The controller for our unit's fan only has Hi and Lo (this also happened out west where the humidity was less than 20%).

Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 319
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 12:27:01 pm »

According to Dometic, here is how the fan and compressor are suppose to operate depending on your settings:

Cool - Cool Mode
In the Cool mode the system will cycle the compressor On and Off based on the room air temperature and the temperature set-point on the Single Zone LCD thermostat. The fan will turn on first followed
by the compressor in approximately 2 minutes. In this mode there are 3 fan speed selections:

Lo - (LOW): The fan operates continuously at low speed. The compressor cycles ON and OFF.

Hi - (HIGH): The fan operates continuously at high speed. The compressor cycles ON and OFF.

Au - (AUTO): When auto fan is selected the fan speed will vary depending on the difference between the temperature set-point and the room air temperature. In auto fan the compressor and the fan
will cycle On and Off with the thermostat.

When the difference is:
>5 The fan operates on HIGH
<4 The fan operates on LOW

Compressor Time Delay
A time delay of approximately two minutes occurs any time the compressor is required to begin the cooling cycle.

Dometics literature also states that the operation on High Fan/Cooling mode will give optimum or maximum efficiency in high humidity or high outside temperatures.
Starting the air conditioner early in the morning and giving it a "headstart" on the expected high outdoor ambient will greatly improve its ability to maintain the desired indoor temperature.

We found these on/off cycles annoying at first until we understood how it is suppose to work.  Ours works exactly as described above.  We generally keep it on Au.

Sue

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 12:54:10 pm »

That is correct (I neglected to mention the Auto setting).
What I question is why, when the fan is set to Lo, it stops, shifts to Hi & runs for a few seconds, stops and then shifts back to Lo. A short time later this stop, start, stop cycle starts again.
There is no problem when running the fan on Hi.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: