Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Entry Door Light  (Read 423 times)
BGolden

Helpful Rating: 18
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: January 2008
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
IntColor: Maple/Beige
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2012, 11:34:32 am »

During the winter storage months I would go into my MH to inspect it, clean it, etc. Many times it was at night. I found myself fumbling around for the ceiling light switch.

SO, I was wondering if there is a way to mount a light just above the door that would turn on when the door opens.

I'm thinkink of wiring it to the step switch, when the step comes out light goes on, knee caps survive the bang on the cabinets.

Any ideas woud be greatly appreciated.

Bill G

chandelier

Bill and Karen Golden
kevin

Helpful Rating: 22
________
PurchDate: 9/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Maple
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 02:28:39 pm »

I have thought about a motion detector LED light for the reasons you mentioned.  I looked on Amazon dot com last week & the price of them is coming down fast.  A friend gave us 3 little spot light Led wall mounted lights he got from Costco.  They are great for reading.  I also have a push to turn on puck LED which i use in my cabinet.
kevin
bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 131
________
PurchDate: April 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 02:36:30 pm »

Hi Bill,

I added a coutesy light and it works great to provide enough light to get in and get to the ceiling light.

I mounted it to the side of the sink cabinet next to the entry door and wired it to the outside step light.  Looks like your 2350 also has the sink next to the door like my 2551.  I removed the water heater cover under the sink and there was a hole in the floor for the existing wires going to the outside step.  I ran the courtesy light wires through the same hole and attached them to the outside step light wires (hot and neutral) under the step.

The courtesy light goes on with the outside step light and if the door is left open, they both go out after a few minutes.  The light I used has two leds and cost under $20; I can't find the info where I ordered it and how much it was.  I searched the internet and it may have been from a marine supply place.  The two leds is plenty of light to see the steps to get to the ceiling light.

Bob

2010  PC 2551
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 172
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 03:11:57 pm »

Bill G.

Are you are talking about wanting something for when you have the PC in winter storage? During winter storage you should be turning off the house batteries by the switch at the step. If you leave one or more of the ceiling lights on, they will go off with the house batteries and on when you turn the house batteries on again. If you wire it into the step light, that works off the  engine battery, which stays on. Therefore it would come on when you open the door. This would work better when you are out after dark and come back to the PC.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
BGolden

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 03:35:57 pm »

A stick up  battery light would do the trick.

My thought was something on the same idea as the courtesy light that turns on like the vehicle entry doors.  But I could use a stick up battery light to save the trouble of wiring.

Thanks to all that replied

Bill G

Bill and Karen Golden
BGolden

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 03:40:43 pm »

Tom

not just during winter storage, but also when I'm parked at park and returning to my site at night. As I said earlier I may go for the battery sticky mounted type, like Kevin mentioned.

Bill G

Bill and Karen Golden
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 87
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 05:48:50 pm »

Bill

I've also added an LED light to shine on the stairs. Our light is wired to the outdoor light. This light we leave on when leaving in the evening. Returning in the dark,the outdoor light and the inside light is illuminated.

I like Bob's idea of wiring to the step light, then the light only comes on when you open the door.

George 

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
BGolden

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 08:15:20 pm »

Thanks Folks
Great Ideas.

George, I liked the way you wired the light. Also, liked the idea from Bobander as well, perfectly placed on the cabinet. Good pictures Bob and George.
Again, thanks for the help.

Bill G

Bill and Karen Golden
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: