Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A/C leaking inside  (Read 847 times)
echo11

Helpful Rating: 6
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 4/18/2011
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: No
IntColor: maple/ biege
ExtColor: umbre
________

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2012, 06:02:20 pm »

Once again, looks like we could use some advice.  We are now in Florida and this is the first time we have had the A/C on for any length of time- maybe 4 hrs. It is leaking- dripping water inside.  I took off the filter and can't really figure out where it is coming from.  Of course it is the weekend and I can't call Phoenix.  Anyone have any ideas or thoughts on whether there is anything I can do to take care of this?
Thanks- Roni
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 313
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 07:45:58 pm »

We had the same problem this winter in Florida.  Our problem was caused by not having our windows, vents and door closed.  We were pulling very humid air over the condensing coils and they froze up.   We noticed a leak after about 4 hours.  A friend of ours was parked a few sites down and had the same issues.  Once we cooled the inside air and lowered the humidity everything worked great.  One important thing is to make sure you are level and water is allowed to drain away from the A/C and not back underneath.  Also, if you set your thermostat too low, the fan will run high and this may cause your coils to freeze up.

First thing to check is the filters.  Make sure they are clean.  Make sure your vents are opened and pointed to the floor, not directly at the ceiling.

Next, check your condensing coils by removing the filter(s) and on the inside of the PC shine a flash light up into the front of the A/C unit and see if the coils are covered in ice.  If they are put something on the floor to catch water and let them defrost.

Now it could be more complicated.  Make sure that when you have your air running water is actually dripping on the outside.  Condensation must drain through the pan and onto the roof of the RV.  If it is not then you need to check to make sure the drain holes are clear.  If you need to check for this let us know and we may be able to guide you on how to do this.

Barry

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
echo11

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 08:21:13 pm »

Barry,
Thanks for your response.  To try to answer some of your questions- we are level, we just arrived at a campground and was setting up.  The door was opened and closed a few times.  We did have a ceiling vent slightly opened.  We did not have the thermostat set low. We started at 68 and after about an hour set it to 75 or maybe 78.  Water was definitely draining off the roof and down the side.  The filters are clean.  We have very rarely used the a/c in the year we have had th RV.  Our model does not have vents that can be adjusted.  It just blows straight out the back and front.  Once we realized it was dripping, we turned off.  That was about 2 hrs ago.  So, there is no ice to be seen.
We are not running it right now.  It's been raining.  So, it has cooled off.  We will try to see if we can find some place to service it tomorrow.  Don't know if that is possible on a Sunday.
Barry, you've been great!
Roni
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 08:30:23 pm »

Roni,

Check your vents again.  If you push down on them they will change position and force the air to the floor.  You can also push up on them and they will force the air towards the ceiling.  You can also push side to side on them and actually close them off.  The vents do not move as easily as the furnace vents but just with a little force they will adjust in different directions.

Barry

Barry and Sue 
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 08:52:43 pm »

Roni,

A few other things to check:

At the thermostat the fan setting should be on AUTO, otherwise the fan runs all the time and contributes to icing of the coils.  If the room temperature is greater than 5 degrees of the set temperature, the fan will run on high again contributing to the icing of the coil.  For example, if room temp is 78 degrees and the set temp is 72 degrees the fan will run on high regardless of what you have the fan setting.

You might need to check for loose mounting bolts.  You can do this from the inside of the RV by removing the inside plastic shroud and look for the large bolts.  The purpose of these is to hold the roof and inside sections together by squeezing them against a gasket on the roof.  If they are loose then water could come from the outside.  They should be snug but not over tightened.  You want to squeeze the gasket but not actually squash it.

If that doesnt work then you will have to get on the roof to make sure the pan that collects the condensation is able to drain.  There are actually drain holes in this pan and if they get clogged the water will overflow into the coach.  You have to remove the shroud that covers the A/C.  The pan is beneath the evaporator coils.

Hope this helps.

Barry

Barry and Sue 
echo11

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 09:04:57 pm »

Our vents do move side to side and we can close them off both front and back.  They do not move up and down.  I did try looking inside again.  The leak was in a small area. It was an area towards the front where a screw was half covered by the foam that goes around the opening.  the foam only seemed wet in that small area.  Don't know if this helps pin point the problem.  We have a dometic 640315.301C0.  It is also a heat pump.  I don't think I mentioned that when running it, it did feel cool.
Just saw your new message.  It was on auto and we did not have it set to be overly cold.  Past this, although I understand your suggestions, it is getting past our scope of comfort.  Always, we would be hesitant, not wanting it be be worse after our attempt, especially being so far from home!
We do appreciate your help.  You are an amazing resource.
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 09:15:14 pm »

Roni

I understand if you don't feel comfortable.

Good luck.

Barry

Barry and Sue 
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 09:30:40 pm »

Our vents do move side to side and we can close them off both front and back.  They do not move up and down.

Roni,

Ours might be slightly different then yours.  The whole vent itself can be moved up or down.  The small louvers do not move up and down but only side to side but then the whole vent itself can be pushed up or pushed down and it directs the air flow up or down.  I actually have to place my fingers in between the louvers and push on the edge of the vent to get it to move.  But we have a heat strip and not the heat pump so they could be built differently.

Again enjoy your vacation and hopefully it is something really minor.

Barry

Barry and Sue 
echo11

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 05:03:05 am »

First, all you have mentioned will help us when we speak to a mechanic.  Also, I did did not mean to say pump.  We also have a heat strip not a pump.  Actually, we find the heat strip to work well.
Again, thanks for your help.  I'll let you know how it goes.
Roni
echo11

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 05:41:22 am »

Barry,
I feel stupid but our vent does rotate down a small bit.  It does not go up.  The casing around the vent over hangs the top by about 1-2" and prevents upward movement.  So  straight out is the highest it goes.
It is raining heavily right now and looks like it will stay this way today.  We will unhook and move to Fort Wilderness at Disneyworld.  Hopefully, I will be able to get a mobile service to come today on a Sunday.
Hope you have a good day.
Thanks-Roni
echo11

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 04:24:20 pm »

I was able to get a mobile service to come out to check the A/C.  After checking up on the roof and inside, he couldn't find a problem.  We felt he was knowledgable and honest.  It was draining properly from the roof.  The only thing he came up with was possible ice on the fins.  We're to use it and see if it happens again.  We are glad it appears to be nothing major.
Barry- thanks for your help!
Roni
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2012, 04:46:17 pm »

Roni

Glad it was nothing major.  Enjoy your time at Disney.

Barry

Barry and Sue 
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 89
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2012, 05:25:45 pm »

Roni,
There is nothing worse than being without air in Florida in the Spring/Summer. Glad all is well and enjoy your time at WDW.

Judi

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 177
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 04:16:05 pm »

I wonder if it's worth supplimenting the roof a/c with chassis/dash a/c to help cool down quickly and more importantly remove more humidity faster to minimize ice build-up.  With a slide-out, you are likely getting some humid outside air coming in from around the seals.  But with the dash a/c on (not recirculate) you are drawing in outside air that get's dried out as it enters, and it creates a positive pressure in the cabin with the dry air.

Our chassis/dash a/c cools down our cabin faster than our roof a/c, even at idle.  I bring in fresh air from the outside through the dash, and let the hot humid air out the bathroom roof vent.  In comes cool dry air from up front, and out goes hot/humid air out the rear roof.  We do have a smaller model 2350 with no slide-out and also have thermal windows which both help with the fast cool-down process.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 04:17:49 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
pyrthkr
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 04:18:25 pm »

Good advice Ron.  Heading to Maine in May (long way from AZ!) and will keep this in mind when I get to more humid climes.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: