Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New 4x4 finished  (Read 972 times)
aimee
Administrator
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 61
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
Model: 2100
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile WWW
« on: April 25, 2012, 01:38:42 pm »

Keep your eyes peeled, I'm going to be posting photos of a gorgeous new 2400 4x4 with Sterling Full-Body paint. I believe the new owner has taken delivery already, but it sure is pretty to view.  RoseGlasses

edited to fix my mistake with body paint. Having never seen them in person, I still get them mixed up sometimes. Mea Culpa!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 02:38:33 pm by aimee » Logged

Aimee, Webmistress
kevin

Helpful Rating: 22
________
PurchDate: 9/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Maple
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 07:11:48 pm »

OH BOY - my eyes are peeled - a toast to another 4x4  Cheers Cheer
kevin
big white phoenix in stealth mode
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 59
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
Model: 2552
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 10:03:13 pm »

Hey Kev, if I were to order a PC, I'd have another 'Stealth Mode" unit.
I like it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
aimee
Administrator
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 12:22:00 am »

http://www.phoenixusarv.com/4x4.html

Here are pics of it.  If you navigate on toward the back you can see a stealth mode 4x4.  Is that yours, Kevin?

Aimee, Webmistress
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 189
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 07:41:17 am »

I like it. Is that a new color or just specal order? I really like the blue touch in the paint.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: February 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 09:18:11 am »

As someone who's never had any 4 wheel drive vehicle larger than a Chevy Tracker, I have a couple of questions.  While it seems useful in some terrain and back country camping sites, does it have a higher center of gravity and more tendency to sway on the roads?  Is the ride appreciably rougher?  Is the MPG lower than a conventional two wheel drive?  In other words, other than cost, do you sacrifice anything to get a 4 wheel drive motorhome?   And, does it use a transfer case or is it full time AWD?  Wait, I forgot about the company Jeep I had in VietNam.  It was 4 wheel drive, but I wouldn't recommend it for comfort.

Jerry
DownBy TheRiver

Helpful Rating: -3
________
OwnPC: No
PurchDate: Hopefully soon
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2910D is my favorite model
IntColor: Dusk
ExtColor: Dusk
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 06:12:52 pm »

Let me say for the record - I am sooooo grateful that someone other than I brought up the 4x4 option as a topic.  And lets also assume Kevin is also the owner of the previously depicted stealth mode 4x4 white whale and if so, hes certainly able to answer many questions in this regard.

What of the 4x4 option?  I can foresee myself as seriously having to consider the Quigley 4x4 option for my own future PC, as I can also foresee myself frequenting many under-improved private campsites, as well as those in State and Federal Parks as well.  And as I commented on FAR earlier on this Forum, have spent many a merry beer-breakfast Sunday watching non-4x4 campers even trying to exit a grassy, relatively level; yet now rainy and muddy campsite.  Not to mention the possibility of snow in my future camping forecast, as well as perhaps having to visit a boat launch!

So Im mostly about traction, and not about ground clearance necessarily.  Yet I cant help but notice in the pictures of the latest PC2400 4x4, that the front pair of leveling jacks are really hanging out there below the chassis, while the rear pair appear relatively normal.

Question is this due to the fact that so much more hardware is packed into the front end on the 4x4 chassis, that on this shorter chassis, their mounting points are dispersed to a less desirable and lower location otherwise?  Would their appearance be less prominent if the leveling jacks used had greater potential extension as might otherwise be fitted to a taller Class A chassis?  Or to a longer PC chassis?

It would seem that even on the previously depicted stealth mode 4x4, that the hanging, and disengaged jacks are not quite so prominent.  Is this due to that longer chassis wheelbase and center of gravity allowing the forward jack pair to be mounted further aft as compared to the shorty 2400 chassis?

Just asking -
DownBy TheRiver

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 07:33:11 pm »

JC Said:

>>>>  As someone who's never had any 4 wheel drive vehicle larger than a Chevy Tracker.

I had the Suzuki Sidekick Tracker twin!  LOVED that little truck!  Nothing in anyway similar at the present time!  My friends insisted I refer to her as Suzie.  LOL!  Good times, fond memories.

>>>>  I have a couple of questions. While it seems useful in some terrain and back country camping sites, does it have a higher center of gravity and more tendency to sway on the roads?

Maybe the Quigley option apparently up-sizes your tire and wheel sizes, and certainly jacks up your chassis ride height.  But then again, also introduces a lot of heavy iron down low up front, with the addition of a transfer case, as well as the F-Series chassis solid front axle and all associated suspension hardware, probably weighing more than that of a normally-weighted E-Series independent front end.  Dont know what Magic 8-ball might really say, but could easily opine a response of Maybe.

>>>>  Is the ride appreciably rougher?

It must be a more primitively-sprung solid front axle from the F-Series pickup vs an independent and coil-sprung front end as is standard on an E-Series van chassis.  With the Quigley option, your front end is now riding on an F-Series, solid, pickup-type truck front axle.

Only Kevin might be able to tell you about the ride quality for sure.
DownBy TheRiver

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 07:33:45 pm »

>>>>  Is the MPG lower than a conventional two wheel drive? In other words, other than cost, do you sacrifice anything to get a 4 wheel drive motorhome?

Probably - according to the Quigley website, when reviewing the measured statistics for standard cargo and/or passenger van bodies in the E-350 or E-450 range, the Quigley 4wd setup results in approximately 1 less mpg city, 2 less mpgs highway.  Those are for standard-bodied van chassis without any appreciable chassis load as tested.  For PC owners with a fully-loaded motorhome house?  Could be less, could be more.

Kevin?
DownBy TheRiver

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 07:34:08 pm »

>>>>  And, does it use a transfer case or is it full time AWD?

According to the Quigley website, it is not AWD, but only part-time 4wd Hi/LO-range with a transfer case the F-Series transfer case.  But on the other hand, am not entirely familiar with the Ford F-Series (Pickup, Expedition and/or Excursion) front axle and transfer cases.  Chevrolets competing models feature auto-locking front hubs, resulting in something close to AWD.  Ford also claims auto front hubs, but dont know if the end result is the same as GMs in ability to mimic AWD.

On the other hand, you can theoretically order an E-350 or E-450 cutaway chassis with a limited slip rear differential, or can easily substitute that gearing later on.  Have you either a limited slip OR locking rear differential?  That alone could easily provide almost 75% of the increased traction benefit that a 4wd chassis might provide otherwise without a weight or MPG penalty.  At least thats the seat of the pants difference noted between Toyotas (TRD Toyota Racing Developments) Pre-Runner models (2wd with either limited-slip or locking rear differential) vs Fore-Runner models  (4wd/AWD) models - according to various off-road magazines reviews between the two systems.

But then, if I can get more lower to the ground and cheaper traction, I dont have to be worried about the front set of jacks hanging out there on the PC2400 in the first place.

I would personally choose one or the other over the standard open-axle setup myself.

Kevin?
bhgareau

Helpful Rating: 7
________
PurchDate: 05/12
Model: 2400 Ford
IntColor: dusk
ExtColor: sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 02:49:03 am »

We are the proud owners of the latest 4X4 PC. We took delivery on 4/10 and returned home to Alaska via detours  to  several locations as far east as Cape Cod. We put on 6,500 miles and averaged  8.6 mpg. It rides like a truck but have you taken a ride in a F150 lately? It handles nicely and is very stable in strong crosswinds. We used  the 4X4 in a snowstorm in the Canadian Rockies. It was very functional. We bought 4X4 because we live in Alaska. We are very happy we did.
BrownCrew

Helpful Rating: 6
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: May/2011
Model: 2350 Sprinter
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: No
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Rust Lower Body
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 07:24:36 am »

Congrats on the new rig !

Cheers

Elkhart to Alaska via Cape Cod is a little more than a detour ...

LOL

Will I see this PC roaming anywhere near Anchorage by chance ?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 12:44:12 pm by BrownCrew » Logged

Each day is a gift, and not a given right.
aimee
Administrator
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 10:00:22 am »

Thanks so much for letting us know and welcome to the forum!

Aimee, Webmistress
kevin

Helpful Rating: 22
________
PurchDate: 9/2010
Model: 3100
IntColor: Maple
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 07:29:48 pm »

Oh Road Apples  Grin Grin Grin I was in Chicago on business & didn't notice someone asked a ?? of me.  I guess I have tomorrow's rainy daay reading material.  I started to read them & bounced to another & then Big Bang Theory rerun came on ,I naturally started writing this during the commercial and Linda left (during commercial) saying  "Sheldon's social interactions sometimes remind me of your father".  & I said "..and of me..except I learned to keep my mouth shut more often".  Anyway, I seriously hope I have positraction -or whatever a Ford locked rear end/ limited slip,etc & a front wheel drive.  Linda thinks our PC rides great & I don't mind driving in winds and the mpg vary from 7.9 to 9.8 and oops we have to go out in boat to check loons for leg bands as wind just died prior to thunderboomers
tomorrow
kevin
bhgareau

Helpful Rating: 7
________
PurchDate: 05/12
Model: 2400 Ford
IntColor: dusk
ExtColor: sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 10:57:31 pm »

Just went out and measured the height of the leveling jacks...front and rear have the same ground clearance. Quigley has a great rep for quality and durability of their conversions up here in Alaska. Lots of ambulances and school buses  have the package. As for question regarding Anchorage...there are only three reasons to go there...Moose's Tooth Pizza....Costco....and to drive thru in order to go somewhere else.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: