Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Is Your Hot Water Not Working On 110V? If So, Read This  (Read 2671 times)
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 169
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« on: October 22, 2009, 10:38:27 am »

My hot water heater stopped working on 110V house current.

I called the manufacture of the hot water heater, Atwood's technical support.  Per their instruction, I measured the resistance across the 110V heating element terminals.  It was supposed to measure 10.3 ohms, but mine read nothing at all, like I didn't have the two probes across it.  I ordered a new heating element from Mark's RV Parts Here ----> http://www.marksrv.com/atwood_wh_parts.htm <----  $26.50 plus shipping, but no sales tax, shipped Priority Mail was around $6.50.

This is what the heating element looks like.

Printed on the part, it says 1400w/110v.  You can easily find 1500w/110v shorter elements at any home improvement store for just under $10, but the technical support fellow didn't recommend using them because the extra 100 watts might cause an overload condition.  It is worth the peace of mind for an extra $16.00, getting the Atwood replacement.  Mark's also sells a generic one for $16.00 ($10 less) but I don't know anything about it.

I think this applies of all models of the Phoenix Cruiser.  Access to the heating element is under the kitchen sink.  Remove the screws to the finished wooden access panel.  The element is behind a black plastic electrical box that you need to remove two screws to get off and out of the way.  The space is a little confining, but managable.

Sold in any home improvement center and also at Mark's for around $6 is a simple wrench to remove and replace the heating element.  It looks like this.

You use a Phillips screw driver through two holes in the back side to turn it.  The wrench is found next to the heating elements in stores.  The size is 1-1/2".  If you have that socket or box wrench size, that works too.  My huge adjustable wrench didn't quite open big enough.  Given the confined area, a huge wrench is difficult to work with anyway.

CAUTION:  When doing this, be sure both 110v and 12v power to the motor home is turned off.

AVOIDING THE SURPRISE:  Even though you have drained the hot water heater with the outside plastic plug.....When removing the old heating element, 1/2 gallon of water will come rushing out from that hole.  Be sure to place a massive amount of rags to absorb the water.  There is no room in there to place a pan or other container.  Hold the old element over the hole to let the water out slow to give time for the rags to absorb the water.  It is a lot of water.  The water keeps coming and coming, seeming to have no end to it.  I under-estimated how many rags to use, so some water got past them.  After I wiped it all up, I ran a fan in the area for a couple days to assure all was totally dry.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 02:00:44 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
HelenJames

Helpful Rating: -4
________
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 08:27:29 pm »

I think this topic was discussed loads of time before at this forum
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 169
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 08:22:38 am »

Helen,
Obviously your intentions have nothing to do with your comments.  You have been posting the same comments on lots of subject matters on this forum, even though they one-of-a-kind.  Being such a young and product-focussed forum, most subject matters stand alone.

Aimee,
I hope you will investigate this.  It may be some kind of automated phisher.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 58
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 07:02:30 pm »

This topic may have been discussed many times but it's always easier to have a refresher. No one is forced to read them.

I've changed these before and have used a wet/dry vacuum from the outside to scavenge all the water in the tank before removing the heating element, as I'll do when winterizing the heater. I prefer to drain the water system rather than use the pink stuff anywhere other than the traps.
As for 1500 Watts (13.6 Amps) being a bit much; many hair dryers pull that kind of load without problem. However, it is the safe max I'd consider.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: