Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Any ideas for adventure in the Carolinas ?  (Read 713 times)
BrownCrew

Helpful Rating: 6
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: May/2011
Model: 2350 Sprinter
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: No
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Rust Lower Body
________

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2012, 05:54:55 pm »

Here's the deal.  We are finally heading out from CT after our winter hibernation.  We have plans in Darlington, SC on May 12 ... followed by plans in Charlotte, NC on May 19.

Open to suggestions for the time in between ? 

Myrtle Beach is nearby, but I think it is the 1st week of Bike Weeks.  I haven't been to Charleston, SC since college.  Never been to Wilmington, NC or Hilton Head, SC.  We are even considering driving all the way back north to Virginia Beach because there is a place there that we just would love to return to.

I would prefer to keep the driving to a minimum.  We are the FHU types, not at all into the boondocking thing.  My wife's idea of camping is staying at a Holiday Inn !

Cry

Thoughts ...

BC

ThankYou

Each day is a gift, and not a given right.
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 319
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 07:43:28 pm »

BC

In 2008 we stayed at the Hilton Head Harbor RV Resort on Hilton Head Island.  This was a beautifully landscaped resort with nice amenities.  Each site was individually landscaped and it was very neat and clean.  We really enjoyed it.  In contrast we stayed at Myrtle Beach State Park that was true camping but you were just a few feet from the ocean.  This was great fun.  They have some FHU sites.  There was also a fishing pier within walking distance.  In Virginia Beach we stayed at the Holiday Trav-L-Park and what was nice about them was they had a free parking lot on the beach about 2 miles down the road.  Loved to watch the Navy practice.  Could be loud during the day but we got used to it. 

Enjoy!!!

Sue

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
BrownCrew

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 10:14:15 pm »

Thanks for the info Sue.  That Holiday Trav-L-Park is one we will return to for sure.  We were there last Sept in a Super Site.

bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
PurchDate: February 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 10:50:34 pm »

I'm probably the only beach hater on this forum, but considering where you're going to be I would strongly suggest you head northwest to the Asheville and Chimney Rock area of North Carolina.  Biltmore Estate in Asheville is one of the greatest mansions in the world and is a wonderful place to visit.  Where else have you been that has a bowling alley and a swimming pool in the basement?  If you saw the Daniel Day Lewis version of Last of the Mohicans, you've seen the Chimney Rock area of North Carolina.  You can hike to the top of Chimney Rock if you're feeling active.  It's also a hop, skip, and a jump to Great Smoky Mountains NP.  Fontana Dam next to the park is the tallest concrete dam in the US east of the Rockies.  Forget the sand fleas and sun burns of the beach and check out some of the prettiest rolling forest land and mountains in the eastern US.

Jerry 
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 189
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 07:57:11 am »

I agree with Jerry in that while you are in the western part of the state you should see it. Just west of the Smokey mountains is Pigeon Forge, Gathlinburg and Dollywood. I like the beach also, and go to Myrtle Beach Travel Park every other year.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
BrownCrew

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 09:22:33 am »

We like the beach too, but go there a lot of the time.

I appreciate the ideas !!!

ThumbsUp

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: