Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Still here  (Read 2345 times)
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 169
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2012, 09:44:24 am »

while looking on different sites and reading different forums I have seen people saying that the more water you have in the black tank, the better it is to drain.  What I haven't seen though is how much water to have in there,
Flood the gray into the black, then drain.  It is very easy to do that with the Sanicon setup.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 167
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2012, 10:04:19 am »

while looking on different sites and reading different forums I have seen people saying that the more water you have in the black tank, the better it is to drain.
What I haven't seen though is how much water to have in there, I can't see having a 23-35 gal. cap. and having most of that with just water, how much do you guys use and what do you use to brake down the ...............well crap.
Boy this tread is sure jumping around to many different subjects. In regards to the amount of water in the black tank, everything I have read/heard is that it is best to be 3/4 full before dumping. When out for extended time I try to follow this rule, but for weekend trips I dump just before heading home. With the new flushout connections, I also flush both tanks. I always leave about a bowl full of water in the black tank. The one thing you do not want is the "dreaded cone" forming under the bowl in the black tank. The water moving around the bottom of the tank as I travel helps to insure a clean tank.

As for the chemicals, I use a good name brand "GREEN" chemical, no formaldehyde. Odorless is one of the top brands and it helps to control the oder also.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 10:07:38 am by TomHanlon » Logged

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Gary

Helpful Rating: 2
________
OwnPC: No
Model: 2100
________

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2012, 12:31:33 pm »

Thanks Ron and Tom Smile

What I was wondering was how many galions do you start out with in the black tank before you leave on a trip, or do you add water before you use it. Ie do I add 5 gal. before I leave home.

Sorry for jumping around with the questions.

Gary
ragoodsp

Helpful Rating: 35
________
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
Model: 3100
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2012, 01:00:01 pm »

I would not put much more than a gallon plus your chemicals in....do be very careful in regrads to the "cone" build up!!!  You are asking some great questions.  Thanks
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2012, 01:22:12 pm »

I think Gary has been focused on a 2350.  If true, consider this.  The 2350 has the bigger tank assigned to black tank duties given the proximity between toilet and tank.  The smaller tank is for everything else.  You would never get near filling the black tank during normal usage so feel free to add whatever amount of fresh water you think best in there just after a dumping.

You'll be flooding the black with the gray whenever primitive camping, but as shared by others, you want something inside to begin with, just as not to develop a poop cone.

Or do as we do and poop elsewhere.  For us it has to do with sewer gas, storing the motor home in the garage at home under our master bedroom.  No poop, no gas.  That is after a bleach cleaning and flush at the end of every season.  No odors of any kind.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 01:26:09 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: February 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2006
________

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2012, 02:19:44 pm »

Although I prefer to dwell on sno cones or ice cream cones, one thing you might want to try if you have a morbid fear of poop cones is to do something you ought to do occasionally anyway.  On your way out of the house to go camping or to put you unit in storage, dump the ice maker contents from your home fridge into the RV toilet.  Then as you drive it a few miles, you will bombard the poop cone with ice to break it down, then dilute it with water as the ice melts.  You'll also be making a bin of fresh ice that's not all stuck together as they get if you don't empty them.  By the way, when I was in VietNam years ago we sent Seabee Teams out to the local villages to build collection tanks for "night soil" (Asian for poop) that would then evolve out methane gas into a piping system that was used to provide gas to a burner in the local sick bay or to gas light fixture.  It's really a nice resource.  And Ron, you know some stuff, but in my and my wife's case, one of the main reasons we like RV travel is NOT having to walk to a campground bath house on a dark rainy night to poop. 
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2012, 03:05:19 pm »

And Ron, you know some stuff, but in my and my wife's case, one of the main reasons we like RV travel is NOT having to walk to a campground bath house on a dark rainy night to poop.
 I realize many people think we are nuts when it comes to this one.  I never strongly advise anyone follow our method, only sharing our method as an alternative.  I wonder if our method works for us because nature calls in that manner to both of us just once or twice per day (never night) so it's easy to incorporate our twisted ways.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 03:09:05 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 38
________
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
________

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2012, 04:39:56 pm »

Uh, not my first rodeo, but in 30+ years of a rv'ing lifestyle I have never heard of a "poop cone".  Can someone please enlighten me.  Inquiring minds want to know.

kevin

Helpful Rating: 22
________
PurchDate: 9/2010
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Maple
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2012, 04:52:50 pm »

Could be the poop cone pile is really a pile of paper & poop - sort of pooper mache.  Grin Grin Grin such as what happens below an outhouse.

As my Pappy said..."...if you don't eat it first, don't put it in here..."

kevin
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 167
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2012, 05:48:50 pm »

If you poop down a small hole like in the bottom of the toilet and let it just sit there it will get hard. Then if you do it again and again, it starts to build up into a cone shape. Once the cone reaches up to the bottom of the hole and plugs the hole you are in deep trouble. If you keep water in the bottom of the tank the poop will float around and out of the way of the next load. Some people put ice in the tank and drive around to break up any poop stuck to the bottom of the tank. When I worked at the RV dealer, the new tech in the shop always got the job of removing this cone when a customer showed up with a plugged toilet. He had to take a long pole to chip away at the cone while trying to get water on it to dissolve it. The cost to the customer was about $75 an hour and it could take two or three hours.  exactly!

Ron, since we always dump before heading home and keep water in the bottom of the bowl, we do not need to worry about gas build up. Does the 2007 PC have the clean out spray for the tanks like the current models?

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Gary

Helpful Rating: 2
________
Model: 2100
________

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2012, 10:44:51 pm »

Ron, after looking at all the models, we (read DW) have made up our mind on a 2552 or a 2910D, and we've started to make a list of things we would like to have and things we would like to have taken out.

I know about the poop cone, guess I am old I grew up on a farm and we had a "back house", if we messed up we got to "earn our phd" (post hole digger) when we had to move it. We also used old sears "wish books" as tp, hated the glossy pages. Between that and digging cat holes when I was in the Army I'll use the throne as much as I can.

Gary
lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 38
________
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
________

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2012, 11:35:01 pm »

Well, okiedokey then, I learned something - intuitively I guess that is why I have always put between 5 and 10 gallons of water in the black tank before going down the road.  Never had to learn of the "poop cone" the hard way (is that a play on words?).  I do remember the old farm steads and the outhouses and the bag of lime that went in about once a month.  Don't remember that it ever came up in conversation there, either. 
ragoodsp

Helpful Rating: 35
________
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2012, 10:56:56 am »

Gary:

Congrats on making up your mind between the 2552 or 2910.  Having had a 2551S and moving up to the 3100 I can tell you the extra storage that you would get in either the 2552 or 2910 will be well appreciated!  I thought I could make a smaller coach work but I had to comprimise to much...I love the longer wheelbase on the 3100 and you would get on the 2910, ride is much better.  And please tell me that after you will have spend over 5 figures on your new coach that you will use the bathroom to its fullest capabilities!!??  Best of luck, ron
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2012, 11:07:37 am »

Ron, since we always dump before heading home and keep water in the bottom of the bowl, we do not need to worry about gas build up. Does the 2007 PC have the clean out spray for the tanks like the current models?
Yes our 2007 2350 has the flush hookup for both tanks.

The few times I mentioned we don't poop in our motor home, I always end up regretting that I brought it up.  I have to learn to keep quiet about that one.

bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 131
________
PurchDate: April 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2012, 11:42:56 am »

The few times I mentioned we don't poop in our motor home, I always end up regretting that I brought it up.  I have to learn to keep quiet about that one.

Well, we don't poop in our motor home either, we use the toilet in the back; we also pee in the toilet instead of somewhere else in the motor home.   Grin  Grin  Grin

Really, we love ya Ron!

Bob

2010  PC 2551
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print

Jump to: