Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Towing Dingy with 2551 E450  (Read 1867 times)
rogerroger

Helpful Rating: 0
________
________

View Profile
« on: October 16, 2009, 01:38:13 pm »

I have a PC 2551 E450 chassis. I'm researching and trying to decide on what would be the best vehicle to flat tow behind.
We'd like to have an AWD or 4WD to deal with MN winters, but FWD would probably be fine since we live in the city. We'll be using this vehicle for every day at home as well. We don't want anything too small there's no room for backseat riders or no cargo room. Something mid sized would be best.
Does anyone have good recommendations on vehicles that they think would be a good fit for us?
I'm curious how much towing a vehicle will effect our driving or mileage as well.
I suppose we'll have to add a brake system as well. Any recommendations on that would be great. Do those have to be professionally installed?
We want the front of the towed vehicle to look as normal as possible while using in everyday use. We'd like the base plates to be as unobtrusive as possible. Which brand seems best for that? Blue OX?
Any thoughts, opinions, or recommendations on any of this would be greatly appreciated. It's very helpful to hear from real, everyday RVers.

Thank You

Roger

whaledriver

Helpful Rating: 3
________
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 10:23:19 pm »

Roger
You can go the following website and find most of the information that u are looking for.
http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/dinghytowingguide/

Whaledriver
I have a 2551 '06 model on a E350.
lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
OwnPC: No
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 01:19:53 pm »

rogerroger,

I can not address your specific towing challenge but here's  what I have.  2007, 2700, E450 and we pull a 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara, V6, 4wd (with transfer case Hi and Lo, Neutral), 4 down.
The Susi was purpose bought because of the ability to tow 4 down, the fact that it is a dual range 4wd with Neutral for towing is a definite plus.  I used Roadmaster base plates and they are fairly unobtrusive when unhooked and the tow bar accoutrements removed.  I put the plug for lights and brake in the center of the bumper fascia which did not get points from the better half. I use a Roadmaster 9700 supplemental wired non-proportional brake system.  Susi is over the 3000lb, mandated by most states for supplemental brakes. I am happy with it. Tow bar is MH mounted Falcon 2.  I bought the tow bar used from a buddy and the rest from various eBay vendors.  Bottom line, I saved $700-1200-maybe even 15-1600, that way and doing the two days miserable (temps were over a 100 outside and probably 125 in the garage) installation myself.  It was hard to get estimates with hard numbers locally, which is why I did it myself.  With the equipment I have you can turn very tight and not get into either the MH or the towed. The Susi became mine (daily driver) when I traded a Titan in, can't say I miss the Big Truck in city traffic, miss the ride though.
Towing costs around 2 mpg in our setup.
Room in the Suzi is comparable to my wife's Bravada and overall length is a foot or so shorter.

L. G.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 01:29:08 pm by lghjr » Logged
GoPhoenix

Helpful Rating: 41
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 12/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
ExtColor: Full body grey
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 08:32:21 pm »

Check out my post and pictures under the General Category: Phoenix on the Road Subject: Dinghy / Toad (Reply #5 on September 09, 2009).  We love our new (year old) dingy which we tow behind our 30 ft. 2550.  Tows great, tows flat without modifications, lots of storage, seats five, great for everyday driving, and styling we really like: Chevy HHR (and it's American!). Tow bar: Blue Ox, which essentially invisible when the grill tabs are removed.  Both highly recommended.

I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.
phil
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 02:35:34 pm »

I have a 2551 and tow a 2007 Chevy HHR with Blue Ox tow bar and base plate, works beautifly.
Simple Song

Helpful Rating: 9
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: July 2009
Model: 2400 Ford
ModelYear: 2010 PC2400
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 06:50:53 pm »

Our 2010 PC2400 on an E450  chassis tows a 2009 Honda CRV using a Blue OX Base Plate (installed at Blue Ox factory) and towbar.  Towed about 4000 miles this summer and had to remind myself that the car in the rear screen was "not following too close."  Very smooth "setup."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: