Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Four Months Living in a 2400  (Read 2168 times)
Simple Song

Helpful Rating: 9
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: July 2009
Model: 2400 Ford
ModelYear: 2010 PC2400
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2009, 10:13:45 pm »

Exceptional coach. Love the floor plan. We traveled throughout the Midwest, New England (in the fall), Washington DC and Chesapeake Eastern Shore then down the Appalachian Trail. MANY big coach owners were envious of our size / quality / price range / convenience / manuverability.  Thanks to Phoenix Cruiser for a great product.

Next year we plan a six month trip.

As we plan better organization based on this fall's experience, we will post some of our ideas.
Awilson

Helpful Rating: 8
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: March 2009
Model: 2400 Ford
ModelYear: 2006
IntColor: Tan
ExtColor: White and Tan
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 10:16:30 am »

It sounds like youhad a very enjoyable time. My time to travel is ticking down and we also have a 2400 and plan to spend a little time in it this winter and next summe. Let me know of any obstacles yo encountered that could have been remideid with a little upfront planning. We are new to traveling in a MH so any suggestions are welcome.

Alan and Diana
mapper098

Helpful Rating: 3
________
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 12:57:31 pm »

It's fun being a nearly full-timer.  We did 4 months, going north from Phoenix, AZ to Glacier and then east to Wisconsin and Illinois and back a few years ago and loved it.  Probably the best suggestion is to go a short distance, 50-100 miles, and spend a week or so there to see what you forgot or really need. 
2nd, is the mail and bill problem.  Make a list of all of the expected bills, or everything that you pay through the mail or email, and make sure that you can pay them electronically from your bank -- assuming that you have a laptop with wifi and are comfortable using it.  If you are reading this, you proably are.  There are a lot of free WIFI sites, and many not free sites.  You might be better to use your own cellphone broadband connection -- it is probably safer and more reliable than unknown freebie wifi sites.
Be sure your tires and everything else is in good condition before you start. 
Make a number of short weekend trips ahead of time and try to do things like getting into Walmart parking lots etc.  Practice makes perfect.
Subscribe to RV magazine -- they have a lot of tips there.
there are some campground clubs such as Passport and CampingWorlds Campground USA and Good Sams club that show a lot of plaes where you can staymore cheaply.
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 89
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 04:37:02 pm »

We were 62 days last summer in our Airstream Interstate (B) and plan on 3 monthes this summer in our Phoenix 2350 Sprinter.

One thing to keep in mind is the many State Parks, National Parks and Provincial Parks (Canada) that are around.

We will be leaving Florida on June 20 on our way to Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island. The first 10 days we will be staying in State Parks and National Parks every night with the exception of 2 nights. That will save us some $$$.

Any of you guys heading to the Maritimes this summer??

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 58
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 12:17:16 pm »

We downsized from a 36-foot Alpine Coach and have been on the road since May 21st. Going to and through many places the Alpine could not, we've enjoyed our 2350 immensely. So much in fact we are considering moving to a 2551 for the twin beds, larger Head and better storage.

We did get an alignment and had 6 new Toyo tires installed, which helped greatly. Considering the Ford chassis has a ball and sector steering assembly, it cannot be expected to respond as a rack and pinion would. All-in-all, there's little to complain about with the fit and finish of the PC 2350.

As a side; US route 212 through the Beartooth range in WY and MT is demanding and our 2350 has done very well in it and those like it, which have been frequent.

It's been a good move for us.   

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 183
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 05:28:37 pm »

Hi rmmpe,

Can you give us some more information about US route 212 (The Beartooth Hwy) in Mt. and Wy?  Help We are planning on taking it ( east to west ) the week before labor day and staying in Rocky Mountain Campground in Gardiner, Mt for the holiday. I am figuring one day to cross the hwy and four days in Larmar valley, as I have never been to that part of Yellowstone. I have done the southern part and just love it. We plan on sending a couple of days out of West Yellowstone also.

We just downsized from a 35' Winnie class A to the 2350 on the E450. Before the Winnie we had a 21' Chinook and really missed the smaller size.  Cry  The nice thing about this size motorhome is that we can roam anywhere and still get into a campground as they seem to be able to fit us in.

We just got back from the third time out and my to-do list only has three things on it. 1 get mirrors with shorter arms so they don't stick out so far, 2. drill some holes near the top of the cabinets on both sides of the TV to let the heat out and 3. figure out where to put all my camera gear I want to take to Yellowstone and Rocky Mountain NP.  Wink

Thank you
    Tom Hanlon

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 12:17:11 pm »

Hi Tom.

We took the Chief Joseph scenic route out of Cody, WY (what a GREAT little town) to US 212 and headed to Red Lodge. There is a bit of construction and the man operating the piling machine on the side of the mountain in a severe curve had to move it so I could get the 2350 through on the opposite side of the 1-lane road. There is a warning at the foot of the road to disuade 40+ footers from taking it but, in reality, it would be extremely difficult for a 102" wide by 36-foot rig to make it through that place without scraping its side badly.

Be aware, anybody considering this must know how to drive in mountains before doing it. The downhills and switchbacks are extreme and riding the brakes will end very badly. I descended in 3rd gear and didn't let the engine wind to over 3,000 RPM. Stab the brakes relatively hard for a short time to drop speed quickly. This gives the brakes time to cool between uses. I DID NOT use the tow/haul feature because the trans would often drop gears too severely and sometimes cause the engine to wind to 5,000 RPM or more.

Hope this helps and answers a few questions.

TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 183
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 07:32:16 am »

Thank you.

We will be coming from Red Lodge going to Gardiner. Hopefully the construction will be done by the time we get there the last week in August. If I understand it, we will be going up the switch backs. I have heard is the hardest part to drive.

I do understand how to drive in the mountains. I have driven in the Rockys many times. They can make most people feel like "flatlanders" in a hurry.  Grin The Mountains in WV, PA, SC, NC and western MD have some real steep hills that can smoke the brakes in a big way, but they are not as long as in the rockys. We will be taking the PC from Baltimore to Cass, WV this weekend, so we should get a feel for how it handles in the mountains. Your explation will help a lot of people that don't understand yet.

I can hardly wait to take the PC on this trip.   

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 10:54:37 am »

Tyom,

You'll have a good time driving the switchbacks uphill. I didn't use the tow/haul feature because the V10 has the oomph to do it well enough without running over 3500 RPM. Just use the gears.

If I was hauling the TOAD, I would have.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: