• PurchDate: January 4, 2012
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: green
  • ExtColor: green half
Help on inverter
« on: November 08, 2012, 06:11:02 am »
Back again asking for some practical insight.

Took a trip this weekend and inverter did not work. The test panel shows that the batteries were good, fully charged. Inverter shows error message 02 which means not sufficient battery power. Ran generator for 2 hours, still get both same messages.

Came home plugged into house for a day and now the inverter works.

I am leaving inverter off when stored and plugged in.

Thanks in advance for comments. I will call Kermit to see if he has an insight.

Greg
2010 2551S
Greg Matthews
Photographer
EastOfYellowstone.com

Barry-Sue

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 10/17/11
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
Re: Help on inverter
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 09:16:10 am »
Greg

I'm assuming you have the Xantrex Inverter.  My first suggestion would be to test the actual output voltage from the batteries.  A fully charged battery should be above 12.7 V and should hold that voltage for many days.  If the battery looks good follow the red cable back to the inverter testing at each connection.  If all connections test OK ( >12.7V) wait a few days and check to make sure the battery is able to hold a charge for a long period of time.  One weak battery will result in both batteries being drained.

Barry

A digital volt meter is required to get an accurate reading.  I carry an inexpensive one I picked up at Harbor Freight.  Here is a link to their web site:

http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-multimeter-98025.html
Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: feb 2011
  • IntColor: cherry
  • ExtColor: grey
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 12:41:24 pm »
I had the same problem that the inverta would not work but the generator would run but would not invert. Have you checked the on off switch on your generator, mine was on the off position and I just put it to the on position and everything worked. Switch is on the generator by the start button on the outside. Hope this works.
Bob  2010  2551

ge_montana

• I love Photography, sailing and fishing
    • View Profile
    • East of Yellowstone
  • NewUsed: Used
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 08:30:01 am »
Thanks,

I called the mothership on Thursday and spoke to one of the techs about the test meter showing that the batteries being "good" - all lights on - but the Inverter showed low voltage, even after we ran the generator for an two hours. I will check the switch. He told me that the test light panel might not be accurate. That would explain the conflict in the two meters.

Bought a batter tester that puts a load on the battery will return today.

I did note that i lost little water from the battery from June to October, all were still full after driving some 8,000 miles but only probably 15 days camping with out hook up. Does that seem strange to anyone.

greg
2010 2551S
Greg Matthews
Photographer
EastOfYellowstone.com

ge_montana

• I love Photography, sailing and fishing
    • View Profile
    • East of Yellowstone
  • NewUsed: Used
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 02:45:35 pm »
Still cannot locate program with battery draining, which started back in June.

Here is my follow up to the recommendations that have been posted, had batteries checked with tester and load, batteries are good.

Next as to why generator did charge batteries for an hour or so, that still does not make sense unless the batteries were just run down much. I looked for the switch behind the panel that gives access to the generator it self, and starter switch on the generator. The circuit breakers are all on, and the vehicle is in store. Any idea of how long to charge battery with generator under these conditions?

Next looked at generator, for the "off" switch and there isn't one other than the switch to turn off the battery.
Greg Matthews
Photographer
EastOfYellowstone.com

bobander

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: April 2010
  • IntColor: Classic Umber
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 04:00:46 pm »
Greg,

Not sure that I understand exactly what the issue is, but I think you are saying that the generator is not charging the batteries.

The circuit breakers are all on, and the vehicle is in store. Any idea of how long to charge battery with generator under these conditions?

If you mean that the battery disconnect switch is in the "store" position; then the generator, or shore power, will not charge the batteries.  The switch has to be in the "use" position for the converter to charge the batteries via either the generator or shore power.  In the "store" position, all 110vac and 12vdc circuits will work when on shore power or generator, but the batteries will not charge.

Is it possible that you had the switch in "store' while running the generator and in "use" when on shore power and that would explain why the batteries were not charged on generator but were by shore power?

Hope this helps,
Bob A
2010  PC 2551

gradygal

• our 3rd PC--Custom 2910
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: March 2012
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: cherry
  • ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 04:39:10 pm »
Greg,

I'm not sure, what your problems are. The generator switch on the generator is hard to find. After removing the generator panel with a flash light look to the right side and down. The switch is black. The generator will charge the batteries depending on how dead the batteries are. After starting the generator look at the microwave display. It should be blinking. If not blinking that swich on the generator must be turned on (it does take a couple minutes for the generator to gain power). In order to charge the batteries by the generator, the house switch must be on use (not store).

I try to keep my batteries up when dry camping about an hour or two a day.

George
Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL