• PurchDate: May 5, 2012
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: cafe
  • ExtColor: cafe
F-550
« on: January 30, 2013, 09:13:39 am »
Has anyone heard any rumors pertaining to Kermit and the crew working on plans to launch a new PC on the F-550 chassis?   Great truck that sure increases the GVWR/GCWR significantly.  Noticed Thor and Nexus along with others jumping on the band wagon.  Not sure I want to get back into a 35' long coach but the greater tow rating, longer wheel base, larger cab area, and MPG better than the V-10 would be interesting to look closer at.   thanks
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 10:11:11 am by ragoodsp »
Ron Goodspeed

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: F-550
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 11:00:52 am »
It never hurts to call the factory and ask to speak with Kermit directly on this question.  Wear it straight from the one who makes the decision.

Though he may never offer the F550 in his portfolio, he might build one special just for you.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

aimee

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 12:19:05 pm »
I agree with Ron on this one. Give the factory a call and ask Kermit. A lot of the current "standard features" and even current models/floorplans were borne out of customers calling and asking if something were available. :)

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 01:03:52 pm »
Personally, I feel the factory should offer an option for a large cab-over bed.  Not that I would personally want it, but I think that extra permanent double bed shys away much potential business for the company.  Model 2100 would benefit most from it, but every model would benefit.  Few will mess with conversion beds when there are more than two people.  Families want to simply send their kids up into a loft at any time of day.  It is an out-of-the way hangout place for kids to sleep and play games.  Other people might use it for bulk storage or for their pets.

The larger cab-over bed cap could utilize all other existing panels so the only unique component is the cap itself.  That keeps it easy for the factory and cheap for the customer.  I would also suggest NOT to cut the chassis roof for best roll-over protection for the cab occupants.  Very few people utilize the easy pass-thru to have the bed at all times.  Or make "easy-pass" a second option with the cab-over bed.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

ragoodsp

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • PurchDate: May 5, 2012
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: cafe
  • ExtColor: cafe
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 01:52:51 pm »
While I would love to entertain the thought of a new 3100 based on the F-550 chassis reality is such that two new PC's in less than 3 years has stretched my "recreation budget" to its limit i am afraid!  And with spending in Washington as it is I think we are all going to be in for one rough ride for the next four years, I feel very badly for the small company's like PC that are going to be the hardest hit and they are the back bone of this country!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 03:13:18 pm by ragoodsp »
Ron Goodspeed

Awilson

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: March 2009
  • Model: 2400 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2006
  • IntColor: Tan
  • ExtColor: White and Tan
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 06:08:53 am »
The wife and I like pretty much everything about our 2400 but I have thought about upgrading to a new one. Has anyone had any experience with adding more insulation, or different insulation, to withstand heat/cold areas better? Our 2400 has dealt with those little issues pretty well in the past but I would like to know if anyone has been able to make improvements. Ours has the slide and I am thinking that is the biggest culprit for cold air infiltration. Every time we have been caught in really cold weather with a strong wind it is difficult to keep as warm as I would like when we are sleeping. You don't always get to choose what direction you park. The inverse is that in the blazing heat we end up running the air conditioner and we aren't to crazy about the noise it makes. I think more insulation might help in all cases. I might go slide-less next time. I know Kermit will build one however I want but it would be nice to know if it has been tried before and if it has, how successful was it. In fact I would like to hear of any custom improvements and how they worked out. You never know what you might learn.
Alan and Diana

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 11:03:27 am »
It never hurts to ask Kermit, but I highly doubt he would change the process  in constructing his primary walls.  Maybe a question to ask would be, "How tight is the block insulation that is added inside the walls?  If I paid more, could I be guarranteed a better insulated motor home with existing insulation metheds?"

Yes the slide out is a source of cold & heat, and also insect infestation.
Do you have the thermal window pain option?  We have thermal windows.  We notice a very big change for the better.  Cooler in summer and warmer in winter.  The interior is also much more quiet in camp grounds, truck stops, rest areas, Walmarts, on-the-road, everywhere.  That was a pleasent surprise.

Of coarse another huge source of air infilteration is the cab up front.  Other than sun shades, curtians, and home made quilted walls, there is little that can be done.  Be sure your dashboard heater/defroster is in the "Off" or "Recirculate" position as it closes the front vents to the outside.

Our 2007-2350 has thermal windows and no slide out, and we find it nicely insulated, very comfortable in sub freezing temps.  The only sense of cold draft comes from the cab area, but we don't attempt to do anything about it becasuse we generally don't stay where it gets so cold.  Sometimes camping at high altitude in September, it gets below freezing at night.  I think controlling "drafts" is the biggest challenge.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 11:12:23 am by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

TomHanlon

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 12:14:36 pm »
When I was at the factory, I saw several walls laying on the floor already made into wall with the outside and inside walls in place, I saw when they put three score marks on the inside of the wall in order to bend the wall for the aerodynamics. I did not see anywhere that they were making the walls them selfs. I have been to other factory and seen this process and it is not something one would miss seeing. So either there is another factory nearby or Phoenix buys the walls from someone else. There is probably a company in Elkhart that makes the walls for several of the different manufactures. That being the case, it is unlikely that the insulation could be changed.
The hints that Ron suggest have worked for me and might be your best choice. I did not get the dual pane windows because of the cost, but probably should have for the heat. The shades that Amanda sells at the factory do help keep the heat out during the day.

Awilson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 06:55:51 pm »
Ron/Tom, Thanks for the information. I wondered how the walls were built and if they are built offsite there isn't many options available. I still might ask because you just never know. Ours does have the thermal window panes and that is nice. I never gave a thought to the dash needing to be in the off or recurculate positon. Thanks for that little nugget!  tymote We have been considering strongly on buying one without a slidout. We don't like staying where it is cold either, Ron. Its just we LIVE where its cold and we have to drive through it to go where its warm and drive back in it when we come back home. We got caught on the gulf when it was really cold and windy. Man, what a night that was! We just got back from an RV show and we looked and poked around in all the motor homes we were interested in and DW and I both came to the conclusion that we still like what we have. I could easily give them my 2400 and $100k and get a big MH that I would still have to spend more money on to get it the way I want with the stuff I already have on the PC. We have decided to take our PC back to Indiana and Kermit recover our couch, replace the carpet on the floor and replace the barrel chairs with euro chairs. Next problem with a big MH would be that it just wouldn't be easy to stop just anywhere I want and I would have to pull a car to go site seeing.

BTW Ron, I know this is off topic but you pulled a car with your PC and I am curious what kind of mileage hit did you take on fuel towing? I am also considering strongly about having Brazels send me a super tune for the V10 for the economy. Jon tells me they typically see a 2-3 MPG increase as well as more HP and torque. Sorry for the change in subject. :-[
Alan and Diana

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2013, 12:42:04 am »
BTW Ron, I know this is off topic but you pulled a car with your PC and I am curious what kind of mileage hit did you take on fuel towing?
Here is our tracked fuel economy, trip averaging.

2007 E350 chassis with no mods to engine.
10.2 no towing
9.6 towing 2200 pound Toyota MR2
9.2 towing 4200 pound Jeep Liberty
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Awilson

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2013, 06:23:29 am »
Ron, That is not as bad as I thought it might have been. Thanks!
Alan and Diana

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 07:44:32 am »
Keep in mind the reason for the "when towing" fuel economy being not so bad is because once at our destinations, all locally driven miles in parks, cities visited. and all other poor gas mileage conditions, are done with the tow vehicle.  The PC is basically driven and towing only on the open road.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Bob Mahon

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 6/2011
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 09:27:17 am »
I had similar to Dittmer on the 2350. But on the 2551 and 2552 it was only slightly less. Actual results are:
Not towing = 9.8.
Towing = 9.5 (3,000 lb. car).
The above is what we averaged on the last 7,000 mile trip from PA to OH, Elkhart, IA, NE, Denver, Durango, NM, Salt Lake City, Yellowstone, SD, MN, WI, IL, KY, WV, VA, MD, etc. Many of the miles were mountainous in 3rd gear (over Logan Pass to Bear Lake, for one instance).

Actually, I think towing smoothed the airflow at the rear and allowed considerably better milage on the flats (we prefer to stay off Interstates).

Regarding an F-550:
I really like that idea and might consider a Diesel 2552 Phoenix if it were available on that chassis. It'd sure be easier to not contort around the engine cover when getting to the rear and not have to listen to the dreaded Powerstroke lullaby when travelling.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 09:34:35 am by Bob Mahon »
Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.

Awilson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 07:32:09 pm »
We prefer to stay off the interstates also. I spend enough time going crazy fast at work, I don't need to do it on my time off too. Besides, I like to stop and smell the clover. ;)
Alan and Diana

Bob Mahon

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 6/2011
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2013, 08:52:53 pm »
Yes Alan; if you're gonna do the I-states, might as well drive a car.
Too much to see off the popular track.
Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.