• PurchDate: July/2014
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Toast
  • ExtColor: Sterling
Wax/Protection advice please
« on: September 04, 2014, 04:15:17 pm »
I have read every thread I could find regarding the best way to protect the finish on the PC, but I still have some questions that I'm betting someone can answer here for me.  I have the full body paint, so I assume automotive detailing methods apply in general...but what about the Diamond-Shield.  According to the Diamond-Shield literature, the 303 Protectant goes on after (on top of) the wax, does that sound right?  Is that because it is primarily a UV protectant?  I am pretty capable to give my PC a nice washing myself, but a really nice professional wax job is a bit over my head and I'm pressed for time getting ready for my next trip out...so I've decided to hire a professional detailer that I trust to give it the first nice wax job on Monday.
Ann W.

bobojay

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • NewUsed: New
  • Model: None
  • IntColor: Desert Sand-Hickory
  • ExtColor: Desert Sand-Lower
Re: Wax/Protection advice please
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 05:36:11 pm »
Ann it was always recommended since I've been driving cars/trucks, (1964, ouch!), to wait at least 90 days after a vehicle is painted to wax it.
Not knowing exactly what PC uses as their "final paint coat" on top of everything else, I may be wrong about waiting.
I know Winnebago recommends to not wax over any applied decals. Some of their new units don't have decals but painted striping embedded in the fiberglass with clear coat on top.

Bob & Sharon
Current: 2013 Winnebago ERA Class B Sprinter Van
Future: 2100 special, 2350, ?? on a hopefully Ford Transit 350 or 450

TomHanlon

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 07:09:51 pm »
I too have the full body paint. I use Gel-Gloss wash and wax. You can get it at Walmart. It is a pretty pink color. I just wash the whole motorhome. I have done this on three different motorhomes since they were new. One was seven years old when it got replaced for a Phoenix. I don't bother using 303 or any other wax. My unit looks like it is new. This is just what I do.

With full body paint you do not have any decals to go bad.

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 05:48:21 am »
The paint on the PC is automotive paint (different auto manufacturers, different years, but automotive paint). Ours is also full body paint. Bobby at Phoenix said treat it just like you would a car. That said, we pay attention to the restrictions for the diamond shield areas.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 01:26:14 pm »
I too have the full body paint.
I just wash the whole motorhome.
I don't bother using 303 or any other wax.
My unit looks like it is new. This is just what I do.
With full body paint you do not have any decals to go bad.
I waxed our 2007 full body paint at the end of the season for the first two years.  It's been a long time (maybe 5 years) since the last waxing and just like Tom, the rig looks great.  Keep in mind that our rig stays indoors when not on trips.  I am sure that makes a huge difference.

Our rig has all wording as decals, applied after the paint job.  PC-USA must have changed it some time thereafter.  Painted lettering is better for it will age at the same rate as the rest of the finish.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer