• OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: 2013 model 2551 12 volt batteries OK?
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 12:49:57 pm »
My experience with 6v golf cart batteries is its difficult to prevent leakage of battery fluid from the vented caps and the subsequent corrosion of the tray, glides, and any attaching metal.  Also its critical to have easy access to view the fluid levels and maintain regularly and properly.

I will try AGM batteries next if affordable for their promise of cleanliness, ease of ownership, and charge retention.
Oh.....That is good to know.  Something to consider.  Thanks!
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

AMW

• 2015 2100-stretch
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: July/2014
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Toast
  • ExtColor: Sterling
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 04:52:14 pm »
Ron,
I have no clue what the best manufacturer would be, but I've had Interstate Batteries for every automotive and RV application for years and have no complaints.  Interstate Batteries has a dealer locator on their website, www.interstatebatteries.com.  I'm not a battery expert but everything I've read indicates that there is no better choice in terms of deep cycle applications than wet cell lead acid, especially for dry camping.  I would find it impossible to maintain them properly without an easy way to access the top of the batteries with plenty of clearance (drawer pullout).  In my class A, I had 4 x 6V batteries in a large non-pullout compartment with plenty of clearance above...I could almost get my whole body above them...but still they were a backbreaking hassle to pull all the caps and fill all the cells.  I love the PC pullout drawer, what a pleasure.  I'm plugged into shore power year-round (when not dry camping a few weeks a year), so I pull the caps and check the cells once a month.  I don't have to add water every time, but often...more often as the batteries age.  I like to have a good look at them anyway, and since I do watch them, I don't get corrosion and keep the terminals sprayed with anti-corrosion spray and wipe them clean every time.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 05:08:24 pm by AMW »
Ann W.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2014, 05:12:17 pm »
After further review and discussion on a few different forums, I will be purchasing two 6V AGM batteries from Sam's Club for $180 per battery as advertised HERE.  I understand AGM technology is maintenance-free, charge more quickly, and has a longer life cycle compared to standard deep cycle lead acid 6V and 12V batteries.  Time and experience will tell if my information is good.

I will remove my roll-out battery tray and screw down sheet steel for the bottom of the battery box for adequate clearance for the taller batteries.  I will come up with a means to cradle the batteries so they won't move around inside the big box.  It will be nice not doing any maintenance on them.  Just mount them and forget them until they no longer perform.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 05:14:17 pm by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

bobander

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: April 2010
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Classic Umber
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2014, 12:47:34 am »
Hi Ron,

Sounds like a well thought out plan, keep us informed on the results as I may go down the same road.

Bob
2010  PC 2551