Longbow

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • NewUsed: New
  • Model: 2100
  • Slide: Yes
Future newbie with a couple questions
« on: October 09, 2014, 07:26:02 pm »
Getting ready to make a decision, cannot decide on 2552 or 2910d. Currently have a chinook glacier, great coach but the wife would like a separate sleeping area, my questions are.
1/ are PC close to the quality of Chinook
2/ currently flat tow a jeep wrangler, anybody have any experience flat towing with the 2910d, am concerned about power and driveablity
3/ I see that PC uses two 6 volt batteries and I understand the benefits of 6 volt, but that is still only equal to 1 - 12 volt correct? My current rig has 3 -12 volt and we still run out of juice on dry camp after couple days even with our solar charger.
4/ 2910d has two slides on one side along with generator and water tank, how do they compensate for all that weight on drivers side
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated .

Bob Mahon

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • PurchDate: 6/2011
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
Re: Future newbie with a couple questions
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 09:27:46 pm »
I am in NEPA and will be happy to show you our rig. It'll give you some insight.
Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.

gradygal

• our 3rd PC--Custom 2910
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: March 2012
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: cherry
  • ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 05:19:43 am »
We had the factory build us a custom 2910. It has a single slide in the living area and twin beds in the rear. You can see pics if you search our posting titled "Our 2910 Single slide" in June 2013. We traded in our 2012 2551. We wanted more room in the living area and that was accomplished with the 2910. We also wanted twin beds. The only thing that we miss is the wardrobe that we had in the 2551.

We tow a Honda Fit. It's like it is not even there. Last year we were in Colorado and had no problems with the mountain passes. The Fit is lighter than the Jeep, but there will not be a problem towing.

George

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL

TomHanlon

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 06:42:13 am »
    Having owned a  1996 Chinook (21 footer) for seven years, I can say that I have never seen a small motorhome that was up to the same build quality as it was. I think that our PC is better built than most other small motorhomes built today, plus the fact that the factory will customize it for you puts it ahead of the others. 

We went to the Intervec-Phoenix rally last month in Colorado Springs, and also spent a week in Estes Park, Colorado. We towed our Jeep Liberty, which is close in size and weight as your Wrangler. We just sold the Liberty and bought a 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk to tow behind us. We did see a couple from Texas that was towing a Cherokee Trailhawk behind a Ford E450 motorhome and they said they loved it and did not have any problems towing it. We did not have any problems with power except on US68 in Maryland. The going up the hills there did slow us down a little. Kermit (the owner of Phoenix) was there and fixed any small problems anyone had. On one side of me, the guy had a broken escape window that was replaced and on the other side the lady had a step that the pin had broken and was swing freely. It was fixed also. Both of them were fixed for free. I had the same broken step pin on the way to Estes Park. You can read about it on this forum. It cost me a $100 to have a mobile repairman come and fix it. I don't know of any other motorhome manufactures where the owner comes to their rally and fixes any problems.

Two six volt batteries do put out 12 volts but the run time (hours) is greater. You might find that the two 6v run longer than the three 12v you have now. Check the amp hours on each battery. This is why 6v are used on golf carts.

My wife thinks that our 2552 is the perfect size and layout for a motorhome while still allowing us to go just about any where. It comes down to one queen size bed vs two twins bed. The 2552 is really almost 28 feet long while the 2910 is 31 feet long. Either one will be a great choice.

GoPhoenix

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 12/2010
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Full body grey
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 07:16:03 am »
We started with a 2900 (no longer made and shorter than the 2910D) then traded for the 3100 when it first came out.  The main reason for us was the bath.  Didnít care for the split bath but love the single bath in the back.  The compromise was the beds which are not twin size but bunk width only longer.  And, of course, we really like the dinette and room for a recliner.   (nod)
I remember very few of the things that Iíve spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Iíve spent money to see.

dickreid1

• All 48 States, boarder Provinces and Maritimes
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: Feb. 2012
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2012
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 06:34:10 pm »
Longbow,

I also have been considering towing so Item 4 is a concern.  Now that I have weights on all four corners, I can not bring myself to adding more load to the already maxed out left-rear dual. On the road all movable weight is place right-front and we always travel with empty holding tanks and only a few gallons of water in the tank under the bed.

If you go 2910D, verify that they have had body shims added to the driver side to compensate for the side weight. It will save a trip back to Elkhart.

Let me add, we very proud of our 2910D.  We gloat a lot over the comfort, good looks and interest it creates.

Dick

keelhauler

• View Profile
    • Our RV Page
  • PurchDate: 05/2012
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Sunlit Maple
  • ExtColor: Sunlit - no paint
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 08:06:57 am »
Batteries - 2-6v Golf cart batteries have plenty of amp hours which should be slightly more that 2-12v batteries. They work MUCH better for deep discharge than 12v marine batteries. That is why Phoenix switched in late 2012. Solar charging is a must because the converters that they use NEVER get your batteries fully charged. They don't put out a high enough voltage. The Ford alternator will full charge them when driving or if no solar arrays, use a portable battery charger the puts out at least 14.8v to charge and 15.5 to equalize your batteries.

Longbow

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • Model: 2100
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 08:49:19 pm »
Just wanted to thank everyone for the feedback, Bob just an FYI, I did get in touch with Gary, thanks.