• PurchDate: May 5, 2012
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: cafe
  • ExtColor: cafe
Re: Ford Transit
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 01:05:20 pm »
I would have to agree 100% with Bob,  in the large picture the RV market is just not significant enough for Ford and they will force the larger Class C's to utilize the F series,  they will "tweak" the Transit around the edges by increasing spring ratings, etc and they will hold onto their market share.    I do not see even their new twin turbo Ecoboost V-6  being strong enough to move 14,000 lbs. down the road,   perhaps a diesel plant would work fine but extending a stamped frame to  handle a 31 foot coach is not going to be easy to accomplish, why do you think Mercedes does not allow their chassis to be extended or cut into?  I am sure we are going to see some very nifty European influenced small coaches based on both the transit and Promaster Dodge in the coming years and that is great for the industry in general.  
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 06:12:15 pm by ragoodsp »
Ron Goodspeed

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 11:31:37 pm »
I am not talking 14,000 pounds, just 500 pounds more than the current day Sprinter to provide a little more edge and a better stance.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

ragoodsp

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 08:31:16 am »
I hear you Ron D.; 500 lbs added to the GVW on a small coach is significant.   My concern is in regards to the larger Class C coaches and what chassis choices will be out there when the E-series is retired?   I hope we not going to be forced into a small Class A?   Thanks
Ron Goodspeed

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 08:51:57 am »
And I think I understand your point in that the industry may end up reverting back to what it was in the 70's.  Class C's will become "Minnie" motor homes again if the heavy duty cut-away chassis platform is not maintained.  Anything longer than 24 feet will be a class A like it was in those days.  The F-Series can fill much of the gap, but sacrificing house for hood.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 10:22:02 am by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

ragoodsp

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 09:56:25 am »
I am sure we will be seeing far more european styled coaches that will get significantly better MPG than the old V-10 but at a cost. Having traveled Europe in and RV I can say that those coaches are  great for sleeping and drive very well  but the american RV user is going to have to change their RV habits and not tote/haul as much "stuff" as they do now!
Ron Goodspeed

bobojay

• View Profile
  • Model: None
  • IntColor: Desert Sand-Hickory
  • ExtColor: Desert Sand-Lower
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 11:00:46 am »
I am sure we will be seeing far more european styled coaches that will get significantly better MPG than the old V-10 but at a cost. Having traveled Europe in and RV I can say that those coaches are  great for sleeping and drive very well  but the american RV user is going to have to change their RV habits and not tote/haul as much "stuff" as they do now!

True that.....
Bob & Sharon
Current: 2013 Winnebago ERA Class B Sprinter Van
Future: 2100 special, 2350, ?? on a hopefully Ford Transit 350 or 450

Carol

• View Profile
    • Aging on Wheels
  • PurchDate: July 2014
  • Model: 2351
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • IntColor: Greystone with Sterling Leather
  • ExtColor: Sterling simplified
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 04:03:23 pm »
I'd hate to have to "sacrifice house for hood."  I love my setup exactly as it is, but 25 feet is the max that I want or need.  It fits so nicely into even relatively tight camping spots and I have so much room for all that schtuff!  (nod)

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 07:13:50 pm »
I'd hate to have to "sacrifice house for hood."  I love my setup exactly as it is, but 25 feet is the max that I want or need.  It fits so nicely into even relatively tight camping spots and I have so much room for all that schtuff!  (nod)
Our first motor home was extremely tiny at only 17.5' end-to-end which had a mini pickup truck hood that ate up significant length.  It did make maintenance extremely easy, but now-a-days the Ford E-Series chassis is so reliable, I am banking on "Limited Need To Dig In" the engine bay, figuring I'll do whatever it takes when it's time.  In the mean time I am enjoying more house.  I hope never to have a long hood on our motor home ever again.  We too love the length of our rig at 23'-8", though I could surely manage the little extra length of a 2450 to gain the benefits.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer