• PurchDate: 09/2010
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: ,Umber
Rear camera problem
« on: October 21, 2014, 06:20:09 pm »
Trish and I have a 2011 Model 3100 which we dearly love.  On the way south for the winter, the rear camera stopped working.  It went to a bright blue screen.  After turning it off for a while, I turned it back on and the screen came back on for about 5 minutes in a noticeably weak picture quality.  It then returned to the solid blue screen. 

Any ideas from you fellow crusiers? 

Carol

• View Profile
    • Aging on Wheels
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: July 2014
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2015 (2351)
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Greystone with Sterling Leather
  • ExtColor: Sterling simplified
Re: Rear camera problem
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 08:47:31 pm »
Maybe check the Ford vehicle fuse box... when my entire fuse box went bad, the backup camera did not work when I went to pick it up after servicing.  Ford found a yellow video feed wire, but no where to plug it in.  I took it back to the RV place that initially tried to work on it, and they fixed it by plugging it into the fuse box in place of another yellow video feed wire that was mistakenly plugged in by Ford.  They then had to tape it up because with all the messing around with wires, it would sort of go in and out of blue screen mode.  So maybe yours is loose? 

Bruce

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 09:45:15 am »
The camera on our 2014 PC started acting up a year ago just as you describe.  Kermit sent us a new camera that we installed, and we've had no problems since.
Bruce and Sharon

lmichael

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: May 15, 2012
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Sterling
  • ExtColor: Sterling
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 05:57:03 pm »
Had same problem on previous PC.  Turned out to be loose connection where camera cable connects to cable that runs from back to camera. 

Doneworking

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: September 2013
  • ModelYear: 2013
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 06:23:51 pm »
We have now had our PC for a little over a year and love it.  One thing I don't love is the camera. I am sure I wiill replace it soon.  It is the Sony that hangs down from the ceiling and the screen is just very small and the resolution is at best just "OK".   Candidly, in my previous RV I had added a 7 inch monitor and wireless camera I bought on special at Sam's Club and I wish I had just removed it before I sold that unit.   It was so much better than this hardwired, high dollar setup.  You can order a similar wireless 7" screen from Amazon for less than a hundred bucks.   I had mine for about four years and never had a bit of trouble with the system. 

ron.dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 07:23:29 pm »
It is the Sony that hangs down from the ceiling and the screen is just very small and the resolution is at best just "OK".
Our camera was mounted to the ceiling which had me hitting my head on it far too often when passing by it.  I took off the useless rear view mirror and mounted the monitor there using a special retro-kit.  Like you say the 5" screen is a bit tiny but it works well when mounted here for it does not take away from a good view out the windshield.

That module on top of it is a ScanGauge-II
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

TomHanlon

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 09:55:51 am »
Dick did you get your camera fixed? I am wondering what was wrong with it.

GoPhoenix

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 12/2010
  • IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Full body grey
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 11:12:59 am »
The rearview mirror is pretty much useless as a mirror, but ours has a compass and outdoor thermometer.  So it's pretty useful.  Wouldn't want to be without it.   (nod)
I remember very few of the things that Iíve spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Iíve spent money to see.

ron.dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 11:59:39 am »
The rearview mirror is pretty much useless as a mirror, but ours has a compass and outdoor thermometer.  So it's pretty useful.  Wouldn't want to be without it.   (nod)
I agree in your case.  The mirror is surely worth keeping when it is multi-functional.

After I had mounted the backup camera in place of the mirror, I kind-of missed not being able to look back inside the rig.  I remedied that little dilemma by clipping a vanity mirror on the visor.  I don't have kids travelling but if I did, a mirror would be quite valuable to have in one form or another.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

gl1500

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: May. 2014
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2551/2014
  • IntColor: Hickory
  • ExtColor: Cafe'
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 01:07:43 pm »
I find my rear view mirror on the 2551 to be a valuable asset.  I can look straight through the rear window in the bathroom to see out back.  I then put one of those special flexible plastic wide angle lens's that adheres by friction to the glass.  They come in three sizes and are available at most RV stores.  I can see when I have passed someone and it is safe to pull back in.  I also used one on our  previous 2350 in the bed area window and also on a 2552.  If I want even a bigger clearer picture out the back, I just push a button on our dash mounted radio/GPS and have a large, full screen running picture.
         Bob

Dick & Trish

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 09/2010
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: ,Umber
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 10:32:14 am »
I spoke with Kermit earlier this week and when I went to our storage area to check the camera, it worked.  I will check it again the first of the week when we get back in town.  I did move the cable going into the front windshield area so that might have something to do with the problem..............ie:  a loose connection.