• PurchDate: 12/2012
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: BROWN/BEIGE
  • ExtColor: WHT/TAN
Tire and battery advice
« on: October 22, 2014, 02:39:47 pm »
Well had 2010 2551 mh winterized and asked my RV service to check on my tires.  As I see it they were mfg. 0808 so they are six yrs old. He said they show very slight dry rot and will pass inspection in the spring.  They have plenty of tread and seem ok but I am thinking that it is time to get new tires.  I know there has been many discussions on this topic and really up to the individual to make the decision on what to do.    So for safety sake do you think it is time to get new and would like to get Michelin's and my rv service said they can get them. Of course my tires were not on the recall as mentioned in other forum discussions.
The next thing is coach batteries and they are the original ones. They are so hard to read the water level and was wondering if they are replaced as to what is a better battery.  My MH will be stored in Pole Barn and I have been told you can leave it plugged in all the time to keep the batteries charged but afraid they could be overcharged.  I keep little nite lites on to use some of the power but not sure what is right.  Any suggestions on the questions??? 
This forum has always been so helpful.
So sorry I missed the reunion. Looking forward to next year. Already in the calendar.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 03:46:20 pm by frecklestweety »

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
Re: Tire and battery advice
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 11:27:52 pm »
Our rig is a 2007 model year with tires dated spring of 2007.  Like you, we keep our rig indoors away from sunlight but I have no plan anytime soon to replace the tires.  Given your rig is a 2551, it is on the lighter side of motor homes so there is less tire pressure and less weight on the tires so the demand on them is less.  I would think you would be fine getting one more year from them and evaluate again one year from next spring.

Regarding batteries, assumed no winter camping plans, I would charge them and bring them into your house out from the extreme cold.  The same for the chassis battery.  Fill your main fuel tank up, blow out all water lines, drain all four water tanks, place numerous rodent traps around inside and abandon the rig until preparing for your first trip next year.

Next spring, I plan to replace our 5 year old 12V Walmart batteries with 6V Duracell batteries from Sam's Club.  I did some measuring and determined that my slide out battery tray will need to be replaced with a simple sheet of steel to get adequate clearance because the 6V batteries are so much taller.  The sheet steel will have angle iron screwed to it to cradle the batteries so they don't move around on the large surface.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:29:32 pm by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

David J. Rotelle

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 08:51:31 am »
Yesterday I saw a Phoenix Cruiser here in Honey Brook Pa that looked like it could have been a 2010 Beige 2551........just curious if it happened to be you?? My wife said she saw a similar coach last week at our bank.

Dave

frecklestweety

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 02:52:50 pm »
Our rig is a 2007 model year with tires dated spring of 2007.  Like you, we keep our rig indoors away from sunlight but I have no plan anytime soon to replace the tires.  Given your rig is a 2551, it is on the lighter side of motor homes so there is less tire pressure and less weight on the tires so the demand on them is less.  I would think you would be fine getting one more year from them and evaluate again one year from next spring.

Regarding batteries, assumed no winter camping plans, I would charge them and bring them into your house out from the extreme cold.  The same for the chassis battery.  Fill your main fuel tank up, blow out all water lines, drain all four water tanks, place numerous rodent traps around inside and abandon the rig until preparing for your first trip next year.

Next spring, I plan to replace our 5 year old 12V Walmart batteries with 6V Duracell batteries from Sam's Club.  I did some measuring and determined that my slide out battery tray will need to be replaced with a simple sheet of steel to get adequate clearance because the 6V batteries are so much taller.  The sheet steel will have angle iron screwed to it to cradle the batteries so they don't move around on the large surface.
Thanks for the tips.  My Pole barn doesn't get below freezing and always kept mh there and never had any problems with the batteries. I would like to get another year on the tires.

frecklestweety

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 02:54:37 pm »
Yesterday I saw a Phoenix Cruiser here in Honey Brook Pa that looked like it could have been a 2010 Beige 2551........just curious if it happened to be you?? My wife said she saw a similar coach last week at our bank.

Dave
Yes it was me. I was at Millers RV for winterizing.  Last week I was camping with RVWomen at York Fairgrounds and believe it or not there were two other Phoenix cruisers.   Something you don't always see.

Carol

• View Profile
    • Aging on Wheels
  • PurchDate: July 2014
  • Model: 2351
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • IntColor: Greystone with Sterling Leather
  • ExtColor: Sterling simplified
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 03:57:56 pm »
Freckles--I was in that part of PA at the end of Sept and met a couple of the ladies from that group at the small campground I was staying at.  If I had taken them up on their invitation to attend the rally, there would have been FOUR PCs there.  Maybe next year!
Carol

frecklestweety

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 03:21:46 pm »
Freckles--I was in that part of PA at the end of Sept and met a couple of the ladies from that group at the small campground I was staying at.  If I had taken them up on their invitation to attend the rally, there would have been FOUR PCs there.  Maybe next year!
Carol
Their next convention is October 2015 in Shawnee Oklahoma.   there are many chapters all over the US and I'M with Mid-Atlantic Chapter and have one more trip November 7th in Lancaster for the weekend at the Old Mill Stream Campground. It is their annual Thanksgiving feast.   After that the MH goes to bed until March.
They have a Solo's chapter which I am considering joining next season.   Most are widows like me and travel solo.   Very Friendly group like Cruisers.

Carol

• View Profile
    • Aging on Wheels
  • PurchDate: July 2014
  • Model: 2351
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • IntColor: Greystone with Sterling Leather
  • ExtColor: Sterling simplified
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 06:31:55 pm »
Thanks for the info, Frecklestweety, and I hope your PC's last Fall trip is wonderful.  Drive safely!

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 12:00:50 pm »
I did some measuring and determined that my slide out battery tray will need to be replaced with a simple sheet of steel to get adequate clearance because the 6V batteries are so much taller.  The sheet steel will have angle iron screwed to it to cradle the batteries so they don't move around on the large surface.
In my planning to accommodate taller 6V batteries, I am wondering how Phoenix accommodates their tall 6V batteries in their new PCs.

Are the tall 6V batteries still in a slide out tray or simply placed on a flat metal compartment bottom like I will have to fabricate to get adequate clearence?

If tall 6Vs still sit in a slide out tray, did the factory lower the compartment for the batteries to clear the top of the finished opening?

If so, do you see the sliding tray below the closed battery door?

In my current 12V situation seen here, when the finished door is closed, I only see a portion of that 1" high horizontal black angle iron below the door.

To you who have tall 6V batteries, what do you see below the battery door after it is closed?

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 12:08:13 pm by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

TomHanlon

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 12:34:51 pm »
Ron why don't you call the factory and ask them and if they used a different tray, how you might get one?

keelhauler

• View Profile
    • Our RV Page
  • PurchDate: 05/2012
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Sunlit Maple
  • ExtColor: Sunlit - no paint
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 12:57:06 pm »
Ron, They just dropped the tray about 1-1/2". Slides in/out without any clearance problem.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 01:10:04 pm »
My 12V tray is raised.  I can modify it to be so low that it will scrape the frame.  If I drop it to within 1/8" of the frame to avoid scraping, I don't think the battery terminals will clear the top of the opening.  It seems that close a call.  Also, I would like to place the batteries inside the tray so they are as far forward to me (not the back wall) to relax my battery cabling better.  That might require a new tray of different dimensions.  You are right Tom.  I should call the factory.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 01:13:35 pm by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 02:45:57 pm »
I just got off the phone with Kermit.

Phoenix extended the battery box frame by the amount required to accommodate the taller 6V batteries which is 1.5 inches.  That means I either have to lower my battery frame somehow (maybe using 1.5" "U" channel) or replace my battery tray with a flat piece of sheet steel as I had figured.  Kermit said the battery box frame is bolted to the floor of the PC which makes using "U" channel a consideration.

At least I know what my options are.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Sparky

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 12/12
  • ModelYear: 2008
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 11:18:28 am »
Freckles
   Tires-- I have tires that will be 8years old next summer 15,,,,,, they show some small cracking on the side wall and looked great I have 21000 miles on them,,,, how ever they are coming off this winter as much as I hate it, especially the cost... Tons of info on the forum re tires etc,,,, were going to Alaska in the spring it's a 11k mile trip.. does not matter they would still come off.. manufacturers have lots of info re tire life,,, but for peace of mind and to just to be safe I'm re-tiring hehe..... were going to make a break-in trip prior to our Alaska trip  My research shows that I probably will go with the same Michellins 

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 01:32:52 pm »
If your tires look great with real good thread, check a local charity that takes in vehicles.  They might accept your 4 best tires as a donation to put on a work van that was received with really bad tires.  That is my plan when it comes time.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer