• PurchDate: 12/2012
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: BROWN/BEIGE
  • ExtColor: WHT/TAN
Good Sam's Extended Warranty
« on: October 26, 2014, 11:33:39 am »
Warranties are always a gamble.  Mine is coming up for renewal.   Does anyone have this warranty for mh with Good Sam  from Affinity Brokerage.  It is $1089.00 a year.  I did not need to use it last year but cost of repairs on mh's are expensive so I guess it is a gamble for renewing.   Any thoughts on this??? :)

bobojay

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • NewUsed: New
  • Model: None
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Desert Sand-Hickory
  • ExtColor: Desert Sand-Lower
Re: Good Sam's Extended Warranty
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 12:12:28 pm »
Check out these guys.

http://www.wholesalewarranties.com/

They are VERY highly thought of in the Winnebago & 5th wheel RV world....
Bob & Sharon
Current: 2013 Winnebago ERA Class B Sprinter Van
Future: 2100 special, 2350, ?? on a hopefully Ford Transit 350 or 450

Doneworking

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: September 2013
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2013
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 03:22:05 pm »
I think the answer varies from owner to owner.  Here is my thought:  is it worth three dollars every day of the year for the peace of mind that the extended warranty would bring to you?   That is ninety bucks a month.  Every month. 

If the answer is "yes" then it might be a good idea. 

Also, I think it depends on how well a person maintains their rv, how old it is, how they use it, how they store it and perhaps most importantly are they capable of doing many or most repairs themselves. 

It just seems to me that what is appropriate for one of us may or may not be an important consideration for others. 

For example, I keep a very high deductible on all my insurance for vehicles and our home.   I have driven over a million accident free miles over the last many years and haven't had a claim on our house in two decades.  SO, I saved a bunch of money with the lower premiums.  Essentially, I am self insuring for a large amount.  That works for us, but many would simply not be comfortable with that approach. 

On our motorhomes over the last thirty years, I really enjoy doing virtually all the maintenance and repairs myself.  It is a part of the hobby for me.   To many, that would not be the case. 

I think you just need to decide your comfort level and personal situation.   Hope this helps.

Paul

lghjr

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
  • Model: 2700
  • ModelYear: 2007
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 06:40:12 pm »
Put the premium in an interest bearing account (I know ha ha) and never touch it except for unscheduled maintenance.  Do not use for lubes, oil changes, TBA or the like.  Then when you finally get old enough to sell out of rv'ing have a party at the home.  It's worked for me on every motorhome/trailer I have had in the last 30+ years - some great parties were thrown, but, we always got back in to RV'ing for one reason or another, AND STARTED ANOTHER ACCOUNT.

frecklestweety

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • PurchDate: 12/2012
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2010
  • IntColor: BROWN/BEIGE
  • ExtColor: WHT/TAN
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 09:53:31 am »
Put the premium in an interest bearing account (I know ha ha) and never touch it except for unscheduled maintenance.  Do not use for lubes, oil changes, TBA or the like.  Then when you finally get old enough to sell out of rv'ing have a party at the home.  It's worked for me on every motorhome/trailer I have had in the last 30+ years - some great parties were thrown, but, we always got back in to RV'ing for one reason or another, AND STARTED ANOTHER ACCOUNT.
I like your idea.  I would rather put it in my bank than theirs. I will give it serious thought.