• PurchDate: November 26, 2012
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: tan
  • ExtColor: brown
short time storage
« on: December 01, 2014, 10:40:03 am »
When storing the RV for a short period ( 2 weeks to 2 to 3 months) , whats the proper procedure? Plug in to a 30 amp service? ,Plug in and discontinue the inverter?, plug in and leave the inverter on?Plug in,turn off the inverter,turn off battery switch? Please phoenix community....help me out....thanks

David J. Rotelle

Re: short time storage
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 02:17:40 pm »
Good question?
We store our coach in a garage and it's always plugged in.............we have done it that way for close to ten years. We never had a problem but perhaps there is a better way.

What is the proper way?

TomHanlon

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 02:49:31 pm »
I park mine next to the house on the north side facing east. After winterizing I just plug into the 30 amp on the side of the house. That way the coach  batteries stay charged up. Once every three weeks I take the PC out for a 15-20 mile spin to flex the tires, run the generator with the Heat strip on high and charge the engine battery. I keep the gas tank close if not to full so no moisture gets into the gas tank. I do not cover the PC as it is more work than I am willing to do and the custom covers never fix the class B+ correctly. The blue traps just blow in the wind and leave blue marks on the motorhome. I leave one of the roof vents cracked open just a little to allow air to flow in and out and keep the moisture from building up. I do not doing anything to the converter and or the inverter, just leave them set the way I normally do.

I have been doing it this way since 1984. It works for me but I am sure others have their own way of doing depending on where they live. If I lived in Florida, I would be camping year round and never put it away.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 02:52:44 pm by TomHanlon »

gl1500

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: May. 2014
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2551/2014
  • IntColor: Hickory
  • ExtColor: Cafe'
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 03:43:48 pm »
I do what Tom does, plus I have a small solar cell on the dash in front of a windshield inside cover.  It is plugged in to the auxiliary lighter plug on the dash.  Keeps the chassis battery charged.  If you are in areas where it gets really cold it is important to keep the batteries fully charged so they do not freeze.
       Bob

AMW

• 2015 2100-stretch
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: July/2014
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Toast
  • ExtColor: Sterling
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 04:06:42 pm »
My PC does live in Florida and gets used a minimum of once a month, year round.  I have hookups next to my house and a shade structure to keep the sun off, so I leave it plugged in always when parked.  I also run the AC in hot weather set to 85 to keep the humidity down, and keep a small space heater set to 50 in winter if we have a cold snap of 30s or below.  I see no reason to have the inverter on when plugged in, since the shore power gives power to the entire coach.
Ann W.

Lieutenant

• Our 2910 here in florida
    • View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: November 26, 2012
  • Model: 2910
  • IntColor: tan
  • ExtColor: brown
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 04:45:43 pm »
Ann W....thank you....inverter off

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 04:55:05 pm »
We'll be storing ours for a few weeks over the holidays as we did last year. We go through the full winterizing and power shut down  routine since there is a small possibility of freezing while we are gone. We were gone three and a half weeks last year, had some freezing temps where it was stored, came back and carried on as normal. We cleaned out food, drained hot water heater and holding tanks, added antifreeze, and shut off the propane. We also checked batteries and topped off the propane and gas tank. We hit the power kill switch next to the door just before we lock her up. Oh, we also open a vent a bit like Tom said and close all blinds.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

RheaNL

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 4, 2012
  • Model: 2100
  • IntColor: Dusk
  • ExtColor: Dusk lower
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 11:01:41 pm »
We store our PC2100 in a storage facility so no power available and we do cover it using a cover made for a 22ft. travel trailer which fits very well. Also winterize because we live in the high Rocky Mountains.  We just shut everything off and unplug all plugs just in case there is a power drain.  I remove all food and food-like stuff that could attract pests. Put in some pest strips and mouse traps just in case. We visit it every 6weeks or so and run the engine and generator. Needless to say, but when not running, always leave the fridge propped open.

Sparky

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 12/12
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2008
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 11:34:01 am »
Lt
   We have had many discussions on just storing the units,,, to protect not protect (covered) so want get into that

This subjects opens another  What if or This is how I do it... do not get me wrong,,, and why are so many things difficult with these rv's///

I always read turn everything off,, go in and run the genie every couple of weeks... I do 2/3 weeks  drive the Beast  once a month..  Now I'm confused again

Does not leaving it plugged in and keeping the batteries charged all the time mess with the cycle of the battery?  I only have a converter.. but on our Roadtrek the inverter would run a lot even if not using power  Jeepers why does this get so confusing haha... I'm sure some of the old timers can answer this question about battery cycle etc 
sparky

randallandchris

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: June 2015
  • Model: 2400 Ford
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 11:12:44 am »
Here's good resource for battery questions:

http://www.batteriesnorthwest.com/batteryschool.cfm?TID=2

chevyboy70

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: January 2015
  • ModelYear: 2005
  • IntColor: light
  • ExtColor: white
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 09:10:06 pm »
first year owning a 2005   2350... Have to store in storage place outdoors in Pa. for winter, Dec to May 1. 
Flush and antifreeze all fluids, completely clean, refridge door open, remove mattress, close propane, full tank with Stabil, run generator to run in stabil, flush hot water heater, park on wood under tires, removed both batteries and put inside . Not around to run it during winter storage. Will see how it fairs first year.

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 09:50:02 pm »
When storing the RV for a short period ( 2 weeks to 2 to 3 months) , whats the proper procedure? Plug in to a 30 amp service? ,Plug in and discontinue the inverter?, plug in and leave the inverter on?Plug in,turn off the inverter,turn off battery switch? Please phoenix community....help me out....thanks

Turn the inverter off.  Remove the black ground wire from the ENGINE battery.  Fully charge the coach batteries either by plugging in the RV or with an external charger.   If plugged in, now unplug the RV or unhook the external battery charger.  Insure all battery cells are topped off with distilled water.  Remove the black ground wires (later models have 2 black wires on the negative battery terminals) from the coach batteries..  

You are done.

This all presumes you have drained your water lines and winterized ( if needed ) and flushed and emptied the fresh water tank and holding tanks.

To return to service...attach black wires to coach battery, attach black wire to engine battery.

Add fresh water, etc.

Works here in Colorado perfectly.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 10:22:22 am by donc13 »
---
Don and Patti

ragoodsp

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • PurchDate: May 5, 2012
  • Model: 3100
  • IntColor: cafe
  • ExtColor: cafe
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 03:32:40 pm »
To be honest,  I do not see that anyone is doing anything dreadfully wrong in their approach to winterizing their coaches, if it works for you with no problems keep doing it.  I winterize my coach, leave everything open, refrig., etc, run  engine/gen set every couple of weeks.  I put a battery tender on both the coach and the chassis batteries and that ensures that the batteries are always fully charged but not over charged, personally I just do not like to leave the coach inverter/converter on. What ever you do just make sure the water levels in the coach batteries are full all the time (they are not maintenance free)  I debated about covering my coach this year and actually ordered a cover but subsequently returned the cover and will just keep shoveling the snow off, I just worried about the coach not being able to breath, possible paint damage, and then the inability to actually drive the coach when the roads are clear here in NH.  Again, to each his own, ideally I would like to have a nice heated barn to put the coach in but that is not going to happen anytime soon for sure!   thanks, Ron G.
Ron Goodspeed

Doneworking

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: September 2013
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 08:51:14 am »
This is an interesting thread to follow and is really educational to me.  Thanks to all.

It seems to me that no two owners need to do exactly the same thing.  The most important criteria is:  where do you live and store your PC?  If you live in a climate that routinely provides a warmer or even non freezing environment much less is obviously required.   Live in an area that sees temps down below freezing for days and days.....lots to be done. 

I live in an area that experiences extremes.  Our summer highs sometimes break 100 and many winter days are down in the teens or lower.  Normally.  I don't know what normal really is any more, but over time that is true.  We can have twenty for a high one day and fifty degrees two or three days later.  So, I always fully winterize our RV.  It is stored inside an enclosed rented space without heat.  About every thirty days during the late fall and winter when all the lines have been blown and antifreeze pumped into (hopefully) every millimeter of piping and plumbing, I take it out of storage on a nice day and drive about fifty or sixty miles to exercise the generator (put under a load) and just to exercise the mechanics of the vehicle itself.  I never use a trickle charge and never have a problem.  Years ago on another Class C we owned, I put a couple of these little gadgets on both battery sources:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/battery-master-on-off-switch-universal/p/HW656/?gclid=CLvav8bmksoCFUhcfgodY4QCBQ

You can buy them much cheaper at Walmart or on Amazon.  They worked for me just fine and were in total compliance with the KISS admonition.  They do eliminate parasitic power drains but also, of course, default all the vehicle electronics when the chassis battery is disconnected.

If I was going to have to store my rig outside without protection from the elements, I think I would do a lot more than I have to do now.   My house has a third garage with a nine foot door and our previous rv, a class B Roadtrek, fit perfectly in there and spent its lucky life in HVAC comfort.  When I sold it, I got a quick sale and a good price because of the fact it looked so perfect.  I know Ron on this forum has his 2350 in a garage in his home and that is the ultimo solution for sure!!

Paul