• PurchDate: July 2014
  • Model: 2351
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Greystone with Sterling Leather
  • ExtColor: Sterling simplified
Santee SP, South Carolina
« on: December 04, 2014, 08:23:27 pm »
Almost lost my silver rig in the thick fog and Spanish moss!  
This is a lovely state park, although a little on the rough side... mostly sand and some gravel, so lots of pot holes and exposed tree roots in the campground loop road... drive slowly!  All sites have water and electric, and there are showers in the comfort stations.  Gorgeous view out your windows if you camp near the overlook.  All sites nicely shaded.  There is another campground to the East, but I was in a rush to leave so did not check it out.  The park is just a few miles west of I-95 so very convenient if you need a stop-over while traveling that route.  
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 08:36:23 pm by Carol »

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
Re: Santee SP, South Carolina
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 01:18:45 am »
Beautiful spot! Be careful with those state parks. We were just passing through Georgia last year and wound up spending a month in their parks. It is easier to extend and stay on one site in Georgia as their reservations are not site specific. You reserve a type of site. For example 40 foot water/electric. When you get to camp you pick any matching site without a tag, clip your tag on and set up. If you see a better site open up the next day, you move your tag and coach and you're done. No processing back through the office. We liked it a lot.

I suggest you look up the Cradle of Forestry campgrounds also. We hit one of those outside of Asheville SC, and it was very nice and reasonably priced also.

You did get a late start on your journey south. I don't remember reading about any problems so is it safe to assume your winterizing while living on board worked out?

Holly
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

Carol

• View Profile
    • Aging on Wheels
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: July 2014
  • Model: 2351
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Greystone with Sterling Leather
  • ExtColor: Sterling simplified
Re: Santee SP, South Carolina
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 07:41:36 am »
Hi Holly!

Yes, I discovered Georgia yesterday and am gonna sit here for a spell (at beautiful Crooked River State Park).  I love that non-site-specific camping feature, too!

While in VA, I made it through plenty of nights in the teens and 20s and a number of days that didn't get out of the 30s with all my plumbing intact, thanks for asking!  I am happy to know that I can easily camp in those conditions, but I did not want to have to drive in icy or snowy weather, so it was definitely time to head south.

I've been following your blog and am happy you made it to Oregon, congratulations!  Your posts and pictures of your travels through the Southwestern states and California have been really enjoyable.  Thanks for sharing your travels so well, and good luck getting settled into a Northwestern Winter.

Carol