• PurchDate: February 21, 2015
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Desert Sand
12 volt air compressor
« on: May 04, 2015, 01:36:39 pm »
We are scheduled to pick up our new PC next week. I have been watching the PC forum for several weeks now and have picked up some very valuable information. One of the first things we need to get is a 12 volt air compressor. We always carried a 120 volt pancake compressor in the diesel pusher we recently sold. That compressor is too big to carry around in the PC. Any recommendations on a good 12 volt compressor?

Thanks
Mike

Doneworking

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: September 2013
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2013
Re: 12 volt air compressor
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 02:24:14 pm »
Consider buying a small tankless 110volt compressor.  You can find them on Amazon and I bought mine a couple of years ago at Home Depot.  Mine is well made and has reasonable power and speed for a truck tire.   It was on sale for less than fifty bucks.  I always found that the 12 v were always slow, got very hot and had difficulty getting up to 75psi.   I carry a 25 foot 12 gauge extension cord regardless of consideration for the compressor.  I just start the genset, plug in the extension cord and use that for my drop to power the compressor.  My compressor is small, less than six inches high and about ten inches long, three or four inches thick.   In the original box it fits in the PC in the back storage where the power cord goes.  I just put it at the bottom next to the jack. 

Paul

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 04:01:06 pm »
We bought THIS tire repair kit from Walmart years ago which includes a 12V compressor.  If you get a clean puncture, you can actually repair the tire on your PC with a plug, pump it up and get to a shop for a proper repair.  Admittedly we have not yet used the kit so I cannot say how any of it works including the compressor.  It is a small kit, very easy to store in a PC or tow vehicle.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 04:04:49 pm by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Bob Mahon

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 6/2011
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 06:29:12 pm »
I have the same unit as Ron and have used it 3 times. Twice on one of the rears and once on my TOAD. Admittedly, it takes a while but it will get to 75 PSI within 10 minutes. It does get a bit hot but has not let me down. Hint: If you go this way, DON'T use the cigarette lighter. It will blow the fuse and maybe melt the plug. I had to replace both the 1st time I used it on our 2010 2551.
Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.

bobkbusch

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: Sep 2014
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 07:10:06 pm »
I use the 12V Viair 400P-RV compressor.  Hooks up to the battery terminals.  Not cheap (and the price on Amazon is currently 30 percent higher than I paid a few months ago) but a great compressor, with great reviews.  Comes with a carrying case and some "RV" accessories.

I store it in my TOAD, a Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, and use it when I offroad.  I "air down" for a softer ride, and the slightly bulging sidewalls help protect the wheels from rock damage, then back up when I'm off the trail. 

I also added the same compressor as a built-in on my PC, along with a 2 1/2 gallon tank that stores air for more volume.  I had it installed because I put airbags on my rear axle, but it also works great to inflate the RV tires.  It is installed under the floor and on the frame so it is completely out of the way. There is an air connection on the side, next to the battery tray, to hook up the hose for tire/toy inflation.  Not a cheap way to go, and I wouldn't have done it except for the airbags, but it works great!

Bob

If I did not have the airbags, I would just have the single Viair 400P-RV.

jfcaramagno

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: Feb. 16, 2015
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 06:21:14 pm »
I highly recommend the VIAIR pump. It can easily handle the required pressures and is easy to operate. You sometimes get what you pay for.
John and Carol

bobkbusch

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: Sep 2014
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 10:49:50 pm »
I just used my built-in Viair compressor to blow out the water system for a quick re-winterizing.  I did a full winterizing with RV anti-freeze for the winter, but used the PC recently and hoped it would stay warm...not so much.  Temps in Colorado Springs are dropping well below forecast, into the 20's tonight and tomorrow night.  Did not have the time to do a full winterizing, so I hope this will do.  Sure was convenient having the compressor and tank onboard.  Poured some anti-freeze in the P-traps and pumped a bit of gray through the Sanicon until it was pink.  BTW, at my house we already have 5 inches of snow/hail combined in just the last few hours!

Joseph

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 04:15:26 pm »
Snow, freezing temps... = kryptonite.....

dickreid1

• All 48 States, boarder Provinces and Maritimes
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: Feb. 2012
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2012
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 06:55:16 pm »
Home Depot has a Husky 120v, 150psi inflator on sale for $24.95.  I use it to pump the duals to 80 psi.  It has about the same moderate inflation rate as the 12v Slime unit that just failed alter 3 years. It does not get as hot either.
For faster inflation, I too am planning on getting an Avair that clips directly on a battery.

Sparky

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 12/12
  • ModelYear: 2008
  • Slide: No
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 09:16:02 am »
I use the Kobalt 12 volt  AC/DC        http://www.lowes.com/pd_146781-40883-KL12120_0__    first one quit working after two weeks, Replaced free,  had the second one 2 years now... Very Very hand,,, when not traveling use around the house for the bikes,, use it all the time. Also for my cars.   I paid 39.00 for mine was on sale I guess.

HINT,,, the guys are right about the power does take awhile,,,, when traveling I constantly/.
 daily check the pressure and usually only have to add couple of pounds so does not tax the compressor and usually easy peasy.....  If I use it to add 10lbs,,, I will let it cool off ,, very good points,,, realize you experienced RV hints are for the compressor haha
Sparky
Houston