• OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 12/12
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2008
  • Slide: No
ALASKA ADVENTURE
« on: July 09, 2015, 10:53:12 am »
   Well proud to report just got back from Alaska.   10409 miles  the ole PC held up great, One broken red clearance light, two door latches and a cracked windshield,, rock caught us on the edge of the windshield and of course it cracked it.  Lots of tar  on the rear end which I am slowly cleaning off and about 50lbs of mud and rock. I cold barely open the battery carrier with all the gravel in it..   Cost of gas was not to bad,,,total of 3558.62     US prices of course were lower,,, 329  to 345....Canada was ok usually at least 4.00 plus a gallon, got caught short one time had to pay over 5.00,, still a lot cheaper than last time,,,,  MPG was around 10.5 for the trip.   Saw 4 other PC's on the trip.  Most of the roads were in good shape except around Beaver Creek going into Alaska, lots of road work around the Parks Highway (Denali)  We let May 17th  and returned June 23,,, weather was cool to cold,,, bugs were minimal.  Saw tons and tons of animals especially bears,WOW,,, last time we went in the fall and saw nothing like we did on this trip.  Anyone interested in more info  message me  I think you can see my pics on FLKR. go to Albums   current trip is ALASKA 2015, BEARS, ANIMALS, FLOWERS, and ALL(about 1400 pics in that album)  let me know if interested.  I think FLKR is in yahoo so you may have to join yahoo

https://www.flickr.com/photos/63914311@N05/

Sparky
Houston

palmettorose

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: February 21, 2015
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Desert Sand
Re: ALASKA ADVENTURE
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 01:33:13 pm »
Looks like a fantastic trip. My wife and I have talked about making that journey. We just need to pick up and go.
Thanks for the pictures.
Mike

Carol

• View Profile
    • Aging on Wheels
  • PurchDate: July 2014
  • Model: 2351
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • IntColor: Greystone with Sterling Leather
  • ExtColor: Sterling simplified
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 10:11:25 pm »
Wow!  Looks like a great trip.  Thanks for sharing the pictures and the info.  So, how did your dog do with all those bears coming up so close and personal?

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 09:29:33 am »
Malcolm, Donna & dog Andyboy,

I browsed through your pictures, admittedly not all 1500 of them :)  You three obviously had an awesome trip, one Irene and I want to take one day soon after I retire which seems to be around 5 years out.  Thank You for sharing the pictures.  They are an encouragement to us who hope to do the same.

Ron
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Sparky

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 08:36:07 am »
Thanks Ron  Carol

Andyboy did great,,, he sleeps a lot haha,,,, every time we would pull over to take pics he usually just kept sleeping,,, we pull over so much he would just get bored,,, I got him up one time to look at a bear and he just woofed and growled some haha...

Ron   glad you could see the pics...   lots and lots of info on traveling there, so a great trip to plan,,, we may go back one more time,, we did not use the ferry boats,, you have to leave your dog in the RV and ours gets to nervous,, I want to go back to Banff and Jasper ( which your not that far from) beautiful parks,,,, our gkids are in Portland so we may swing back up there do that then down to Portland ,,,  Our other trip was in the fall,,,,  we saw lots more animals on this trip,, July August real crowded, so either go early or late,, nice being retired go when you want haha,,,,,, we never had a problem with RV parks,,,, Denali, Jasper NP  reservations  a must though,, Jasper was full when we went, Jasper Banff,,, travel the old park highway to see animals, slow, but you can't see anything on the big highway, everything fenced
sparky

ragoodsp

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • PurchDate: May 5, 2012
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: cafe
  • ExtColor: cafe
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 12:48:34 pm »
Sparky:

First and foremost I am glad you are home safe and sound!  It sure sounds and looks like you had a super trip.  Form the image it looks like a Weimaraner's head spotting a black bear....Is it in fact a Weim and how old is he/she?   We have had three Weims spanning over 32 years, we lost our last girl nearly 3 years ago and I am getting the itch again.  Thanks
Ron Goodspeed

Sparky

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 07:54:00 am »
Andboy is   8ish,,, do not know actual,,,, rescue dog,   he is our 3rd one,,,, His second trip to Alaska with us.
sparky

ragoodsp

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • PurchDate: May 5, 2012
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: cafe
  • ExtColor: cafe
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 02:05:11 pm »
I bet he is a super guy who is more than willing to make a trip anywhere!   they can sure drive you crazy but are one super dog.  One of these days I might persuade my wife that we still have the energy to keep up with a Weim. 
Ron Goodspeed