JWW

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • NewUsed: New
  • Model: None
  • Slide: No
Single A/C vs. Dual A/C
« on: July 14, 2015, 01:05:18 pm »
Summer is here, with the heat index well above 100 and the dew point above 70 day and night here in the mid-south.
Figure its a good time to ask for opinions on weather a single 15,000 BTU A/C is sufficient (comfortable) in the 2910's & 3100.
I think their are a few folks on here who have dual units, as I followed the threads regarding the gensets not being large enough handle the load. That is manageable as they will both work fine while conected to 50 amp shore power.
I understand all of that. I am concerned about one unit comfortably cooling the larger models, assuming the insulated windows option is chosen and windshield/cab window covers are utilized.

Also , with the cargo carrying capacity being lower on the longer models, any opinions on the additional weight that accompanies a second A/C unit?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Happy Motoring
Johnny 

palmettorose

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • PurchDate: February 21, 2015
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Desert Sand
Re: Single A/C vs. Dual A/C
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 02:41:03 pm »
JWW
We ordered our 2910 with 2 AC units and are glad we did. In 2 months of ownership and only 2 weeks so far at campgrounds, we have used both units on multiple occasions. We previously had a 40' diesel with 2 AC units and there were several times we wished we had had 3 units. We are is SC so we have a good understanding of heat and humidity. We are on our third week so far this summer with highs in the high nineties and over 100 on several occasions. I was told that the 15,000 BTU would be plenty. Glad I went with my experience.

Mike

JWW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 03:04:15 pm »
Thank You Mike !
We are of the same mind-set as we recently sold a 43' with 3 A/C's and used them all. Nevetheless many factors go into that equation......cubic footage of air to be exchanged, efficiency of the insulation in the unit etc.....
Is your unit a D or T ? We are leaning towards the D at this time.
Plan to visit the factory before year end, as we have yet to physically see a P.C..
Want to make the right choice in down-sizing on the first pass if at all possible.
Thanks to all on the forum who take the time to share info!
Happy Motoring
Johnny 

palmettorose

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: February 21, 2015
  • IntColor: Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Desert Sand
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 04:32:17 pm »
Johnny
We have the D. We looked at lots of units after we decided to downsize. I was most impressed with the PC. The price point was right for us. So far, we are happy with our decision.
Mike

campmuch

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: NOV
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: CHERRY
  • ExtColor: CLASSIC UMBER
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 08:04:50 pm »
Where do you live in MS? We live in Madison. Have a 2551
jhb

JWW

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 06:41:20 am »
Campmuch,
We live in Horn Lake............if the H in JHB is for Haden we have camped togather (Tenn Tom).
Happy Motoring
Johnny

KB9OMH

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/26/13
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Maple
  • ExtColor: Sterling
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 08:33:58 am »
Johnny
     We have the 3100 with 2 air units, love it, didn't add too much weight to unit, we have the single slide to keep the weight down. Also both units have the heaters and we were comfortable at 20 degrees in the winter, with just the heaters.

Jim & Rae Anne

JWW

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 09:31:59 am »
Many Thanks !
Johnny

campmuch

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: NOV
  • Model: 2551
  • IntColor: CHERRY
  • ExtColor: CLASSIC UMBER
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 04:36:02 pm »
Johnny, I think if you are going that size MH get two A/C and 50 amps.

Hayden

Pax

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 09:34:48 pm »
We have a 2552 with one A/C which we upgraded to a 15000 BTU Coleman unit.  A non-scientific study in our PC seems to indicate that the A/C can cool the rig down up to 25 degrees on the hottest days.....if we are careful with not leaving the doors open, ensuring the shades are down, ensuring the a/c is started early in the day, etc.  We have 50 amp service and if I had to do it all again I would keep the 50 amps and the Coleman unit, and add a second A/C.  Mostly because we would want to do some traveling in hotter climates at times (or may find ourselves there) like Arizona in July when it's 110 in the shade.  But, that's just us. 

- Mike

JWW

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2015, 06:33:59 am »
Thanks to all. Great input!
Johnny

dickreid1

• All 48 States, boarder Provinces and Maritimes
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: Feb. 2012
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 08:56:39 am »
This is our fourth summer tour in our two a/c, 50 amp 2910D.  We can handle hot weather pretty good now. The front windshield is the major source for heat followed by the all metal coach door.  

The first thing we have done is to tint the the side and front cab windows and coach door window.

Routinely, we use an outside window "bra" for average conditions. The awning helps also to keep sun off of the coach door.

In severe heat conditions we add a aluminized "space blanket" over the windshield which is held in place with magnets.  Same on the inside of the entry door.

We also have aluminized insulation cut to fit the rear window, coach door window and cab windows. These store nicely under the bed.  The $2 space blankets store sandwich bags.

You evidently are aware of the weight situation with the water tank in the rear bed slideout, but I do not see how a single air conditioner could be satisfactory in hot, sunny conditions.

GoPhoenix

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 12/2010
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Full body grey
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 11:01:56 am »
We bought Magne Shades when we bought our 3100.  They make a big difference in the inside temperature.  An added benefit is that you can roll down the driver and passenger door windows.  And they look great.  Pics:
I remember very few of the things that Iíve spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Iíve spent money to see.

jfcaramagno

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: Feb. 16, 2015
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 01:44:37 pm »
We have the Magne Shades too, but we found that HeatShields work better. They are custom made to fit and provide nighttime privacy as well.

John and Carol
John and Carol

AMW

• 2015 2100-stretch
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: July/2014
  • Model: 2100
  • IntColor: Toast
  • ExtColor: Sterling
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2015, 07:46:13 pm »
I also have the Magna Shades.  They are great for daytime privacy but they can be seen through at night when there are lights on inside the coach, so some type of interior curtain is still needed at night.  For any protection from heat, they are of limited use.  If parked in a nice shady campground or somewhere the temperatures are mild, they do cut glare, and act as screens if the side windows are down for ventilation.

However, if you park in real heat, with sun exposure on the coach and glass, they do not reduce heat gain through the automotive glass.  In fact, the black plastic mesh gets blistering hot in direct sun and transfers the heat straight into the glass which radiates right into the coach.  If you need to reject heat gain from direct sun and high air temperature through the automotive glass, you need a cover on the outside that absorbs as little heat as possible, reflective or at least white, with some insulating properties.  Placing insulation on the inside against the glass will help to prevent the indoor air from convecting.  Unfortunately these measures block view and light completely.

As mentioned by many, awnings also help to shade side windows and coach walls.  The double-pane coach windows do help reduce heat gain, but shielding them from direct sun strike improves their efficiency.
Ann W.