• PurchDate: 12/2010
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Full body grey
Re: Single A/C vs. Dual A/C
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2015, 08:20:42 am »
That has not been my experience with Magne Shades.  In fact, just the opposite.  We stay at a resort in Florida for the month of March each year.  With the AC on, there is an increase in temperature toward the cab area where I often site in a recliner to watch the campground activities.  After putting on the Magne Shades, the temperature drops almost immediately.  Magne Shades, fortunately, still allow you to see out.  When it is cooler, we can open the cab side window for a breeze.  We just close the curtain at night as usual.  We love Magne Shades and consider them as one of our best purchases.
 ;)
I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.

TomHanlon

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2015, 09:05:25 am »
I am one that votes for my Magne shades. We are sitting on the beach in full sun in Myrtle Beach right now. We have been here all week and the sun is making my poor A/C work it's heart out. We even stopped at Walmart and bought a Lasko tower fan to help it. The cab is much cooler with the shades. Mine are just like the day time MCD shades on the side windows, we keep them down also.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 09:09:33 am by TomHanlon »

AMW

• 2015 2100-stretch
    • View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: July/2014
  • Model: 2100
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Toast
  • ExtColor: Sterling
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2015, 09:13:24 am »
I agree with GoPhoenix in mild temperatures.  Florida in March is mild temperatures.  Florida in July/August is 97+.  Parked in direct sun with Magna Shade the windshield glass cannot be touched on the inside because it is blistering hot.  That hot surface heats the air.  I love the Magna Shades in mild temperatures.  Unfortunately, much of my camping is in very hot or fairly cold temperatures, so I'm either fighting the heat or the cold, and one of the first lines of defense is to prevent heat exchange through the automotive glass.  Next problem is cab metal and air leaks, but that's another topic.
Ann W.

Joseph

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • Model: 2552
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2015, 08:16:11 pm »
Not so much one unit verses two question I have is the noise level. HOLY crap these  units are noisy! I have been in a few other class C's and in not one of them was the AC unit any where near as loud as the one I have. By any chance is the noise level related directly to the brand of ac unit installed?

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2015, 06:34:44 am »
Not so much one unit verses two question I have is the noise level. HOLY crap these  units are noisy! I have been in a few other class C's and in not one of them was the AC unit any where near as loud as the one I have. By any chance is the noise level related directly to the brand of ac unit installed?
Yep, the low profile units on PCs are Dang LOUD. I wait patiently for ours to cool down the rig enough so I can put it into "low" mode.  The same issue is with other brand rigs with the same unit and direct flow non-ducted a/c.  Their higher ceilings and bigger volume probably help as well.  Someone here paid more for the factory to install a Coleman.  I wonder if it runs less noisy.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 06:39:47 am by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Joseph

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • Model: 2552
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2015, 05:47:17 pm »
Ron, I was really surprised how much quieter the ac was in a coachman leprechaun rental unit I was in last week. It was keeping their unit every bit as cool as ours with a fraction of the noise.  I don't understand why they would install such noisy unit?  Even with the fan on low its much louder than other units I've been in recently.  Bummer if a person has to spend a pile of money to change out a noisy Ac unit.

update......I've ben reading some other forums on ac noise. It seems its luck of the draw. Some  have rv's large enough to have two ac units and one will be very quiet and the other overly noisy. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 06:41:22 pm by Joseph »

JOVIC

• Ready for Fun
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: 8/3/2015
  • Model: 2910
  • IntColor: Toast w/ Cherry Cabinets & Floor
  • ExtColor: Desert Sand
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2015, 06:16:56 pm »
Joseph, 
   I have a Coleman Mach ducted unit in a 2008 Melbourne 29D and it is what I consider very noisy.
I will be picking up my new Phoenix Cruiser 2910T on 8/3/2105 and I think I may miss the ducted unit.
I like the way the cool air is spread throughout the unit when ducted.  Not ever owning a direct flow unit, I am concerned about cooling the rear of the coach and after viewing this post the noise could also be a factor.   (WH)
Anyone have thoughts on this!

John
JDF
Happy & Safe Motoring!

JWW

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • Model: None
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2015, 06:50:09 pm »
John,
As the O.P. of this topic I have learned a lot from the generous forum members who are will to share their opinions and knowledge.
In having an off forum conversation with CAMPMUCH last week, he made a statement that addressed both cooling and noise which is as follows: "use the front A/C at night to reduce the noise level in the rear of the coach, and the rear air when sitting in the front of the unit relaxing, eating etc..., and you always will have both for those occasions when cool is more desirable than quiet.
Makes a whole lotta sense to me.
And as Ron brought up in his previous post, I would like to hear more about the Coleman Unit previously ordered by a P.C. Owner.
Happy Motoring
Johnny

Barry-Sue

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 10/17/11
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2015, 08:41:57 pm »
When we first got our PC the A/C fan seemed very fast at first and then after awhile it would slow down.   It was noisy when it would run fast and then quiet somewhat at the lower speed.  I could never figure out why sometimes it would run fast and then slow down.  After doing some research I found that this was normal operation when using a Dometic thermostat.  In the setup menu for the thermostat there are 3 settings for fan speed: HIGH FAN, LOW FAN and AUTO FAN.   By having the Fan Speed set to AUTO FAN and keeping the set temperature within 3 or 4  of the room temperature the fan runs on low most of the time and it is not as noisy.

According to the Dometic thermostat manual "When AUTO FAN is selected the fan speed will vary depending on the difference between the temperature set-point and the room temperature.   In AUTO FAN the compressor and fan cycle On and Off with the thermostat.
When the difference is: >5  The fan operates on HIGH
When the difference is: <4 The fan operates on LOW"

I now try to keep a temperature in the RV so that it is always less than 4.  It keeps the fan running on low speed and thus a quieter operation.

Barry
Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide

Pax

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2015, 06:23:31 am »
We are the culprits who had the Coleman Mach 8 unit installed at the factory.  There are four varieties available: 13,500 BTU A/C, 13,500 BTU Heat Pump, 15,000 BTU A/C and 15,000 BTU Heat Pump.  We chose the 15,000 BTU A/C.  The standard units installed in a PC are 13,500 BTU units.

Noise is a very relative thing, obviously, and comparing the Coleman Mach 8 to a standard unit I would say that they are comparably noisy on high speed and the Coleman is quieter on low speed.

We also have wood floors which probably contributes to any noise being amplified a bit more than carpet or other materials.

Other benefits of the Coleman:

- Lowest low profile unit made
- Lightest low profile unit made
- Has the largest BTU resistance heater of any RV air conditioner
- Built in Kansas

These units are built by Airxcel and bear the Coleman name.

The chart on their website shows interesting info like fan speeds, amperage and such for comparison:

http://www.rvcomfort.com/rvp/products/rooftop/mach8.php

- Mike

Pax

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2015, 06:29:10 am »
Oh.....and I'm not sure if the standard PC A/C units have any way to adjust the direction of airflow, but the Coleman has adjustable fins on the forward and rear ends which allow for directing the air a bit.

Barry-Sue

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 10/17/11
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2015, 10:59:32 am »
Mike,

Yes, the standard PC AC has the front and rear fins that can be adjusted left/right and up/down.  The fins are separated in half on both the front and rear so you can adjust the left/right  sides of the coach separately. Or you can close off a section if you so desire.

Sue
Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2015, 02:42:45 pm »
I wonder if it is possible to reduce the Dometic roof a/c noise by placing a breathable sound deadening blanket covering the large louvered intake at the bottom of the unit.  It would likely do next to nothing for noise and restrict air flow a bit, but experimentation is always intriguing.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

randallandchris

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: June 2015
  • Model: 2400 Ford
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2015, 05:33:53 pm »
PC should thicken the roof and duct the AC, would be much nicer MH.  We can't hear the TV at 100 volume when AC running.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2015, 09:39:49 pm »
PC should thicken the roof and duct the AC, would be much nicer MH.  We can't hear the TV at 100 volume when AC running.
If Phoenix had a ducted a/c unit, we would not be owners of a PC because the over-all height would exceed our garage door opening.  But we are the rare few impacted with the extra height.  I would think that ducted a/c would be quiet by comparison.

We have the 5 speaker +subwoofer sound system which plays over the a/c noise, but it's not comfortable.  Running the a/c at the lower setting helps a lot for watching TV.

An alternative is to run the Ford engine for dash a/c.  That works quite well with our 2350.  Run both a/c systems for a fast cool-down, then go with the low roof alone thereafter.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 09:41:41 pm by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer