• PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
Re: Single A/C vs. Dual A/C
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2015, 04:30:13 pm »
Randall, that is exactly the way our is and with the surrounds sound you have to turn it up so far the entire  camp ground hears it.  There has to be an alternative to this, just need to find it.

donc13

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2015, 10:25:36 am »
Randall, that is exactly the way our is and with the surrounds sound you have to turn it up so far the entire  camp ground hears it.  There has to be an alternative to this, just need to find it.

For the most part...it's strictly an airflow issue.  X amount of air flowing through Y sized air plenum.   There's friction between the air and the plenum and the outlets. 

I have had 2 motorhome from 2 different manufacturers that were ducted....still had airflow noise.   Just as much as the PC when it runs on high fan.  The big difference on those motorhomes is the theromostat allowed either high or low fan speed with auto fan.  I kept them on low speed and the fan only came on when needed.

The newer Dometic units allow only always on high, always on low or Auto where the unit decides if high or low but does turn off.

Until Dometic gives us the option of AutoHi, AutoLo, AlwaysHi and AlwaysLow...we're stuck.

But in any event...air conditioners in "small rooms" will always be somewhat noisy.
---
Don and Patti

Joseph

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 3/7/2015
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2011
  • IntColor: Tan/Cherry
  • ExtColor: Gray / White
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2015, 05:12:03 pm »
Somewhat noisy is a long way from the difference I experienced from one unit to ours. I wish I had looked into the brand. I'd estimate it was at least 30% quieter than mine if not more.  Of course it could be mine is just louder than most.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 05:16:47 pm by Joseph »

Barry-Sue

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 10/17/11
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2015, 06:11:29 pm »
Don

Thanks for a simple and accurate explanation of the A/C noise issue.  There is a work around for the Dometic thermostat AUTOFAN issue.  In AUTOFAN mode the fan will cycle on and off and when it is on  it will remain on low speed if the set temperature is within 4 of the room temperature.

Barry
Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide

Denny & Barb

• Medicine Bow, Wy.
    • View Profile
    • Weather at my home
  • PurchDate: 4-08-2012
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: cafe
  • ExtColor: cafe
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2015, 06:06:38 pm »
PC should thicken the roof and duct the AC, would be much nicer MH.  We can't hear the TV at 100 volume when AC running.

We oped out of an AC as we do mostly Dry Camping anyway.   (Two Fantastic fans in coach, usually does it for us!) But wonder if AC was mounted over Bedroom vent area, if that would still provide proper cooling with lower DB noise level at the front of the coach to make it acceptable?

Denny and Barb
Your Word our Lord is a light to my feet and a lantern to my path...  Ps 119

KB9OMH

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 3/26/13
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Maple
  • ExtColor: Sterling
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2015, 06:12:07 pm »
We have the dual air in our 3100, we run the rear air most the time in less it over 90 degrees. Noise is a lot less and watching TV is not bad. Most the time if we run the front, it's on air at low speed.

Jim