Hello Guest

Need Help With Electrical Problem...Please!

• 6 Replies

bobkbusch

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: Sep 2014
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • Slide: Yes
Need Help With Electrical Problem...Please!
« on: August 14, 2015, 04:59:54 pm »
I purchased a Winegard SensarPro RFL332 Signal Strength Meter/Amplifier to replace the standard antenna amplifier on my 2014 PC 2350 to assist in aiming my antenna.  It is a simple straightforward install...but I have an issue I don't understand.

The new SensarPro wouldn't power on, so I swapped back to my old amplifier (which was working perfectly).  It no longer worked either, so I tested the voltage on the black and white 12v leads and read 3.4 volts while running on the generator.  I tried straight from the inverter and only read 2.7 volts.  I'm pretty sure it should be a 12 volt input to the amplifier.  I didn't have the opportunity to test it with 110v ac coming in to the coach.

I'm half hoping someone has an obvious answer with an easy fix.  The other half of me is hoping it isn't obvious, so I don't feel like a moron!  I should mention my coach batteries read 13.6v at the battery and the inverter read 13.7 volts.

Any advice before I call the factory?

Barry-Sue

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 10/17/11
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
Re: Need Help With Electrical Problem...Please!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 05:40:11 pm »
The first thing I would do is the easiest and that is pull the fuse for the antenna amplifier, check for corrosion or maybe a weak contact in the fuse, and then reinsert it.  See if the solves the problem.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 07:18:39 pm by Barry-Sue »
Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide

bobkbusch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 06:05:47 pm »
Thank you for the suggestion - I truly appreciate it!  I did pull/check every fuse (they aren't that clearly marked as to what powers what) in the Parallax Power Supply/Center and they were all good - no voltage change as I had my wife watching the voltmeter.  I live in a dry climate and didn't see any corrosion.  Is the fuse perhaps located somewhere else?  I may have missed a fuse in my progression because it puzzles me that my wife never saw the voltage drop to zero at the voltmeter that was attached to the 12v leads to the amplifier.

Barry-Sue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 07:47:18 pm »
Bob,

It looks like the antenna and awning share the same fuse in the panel (on ours it is number 7). Does your awning work?
Also, there is access to the wiring for the awning in the area behind the surround sound, I'm wondering if there is access to wiring for the antenna there as well.  Just some thoughts  on my part.

Barry
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 08:06:13 pm by Barry-Sue »
Barry and Sue 

Barry-Sue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 08:07:53 pm »
Bob,

Just some other thoughts, make sure your switch is in the Use mode and did not accidentally get turned off.  Also, do other 12 volt items work such as your lights?

Barry
Barry and Sue 

bobkbusch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 02:52:29 pm »
Barry, thank you again for your help!  I have everything working now.

When I first hooked up the power to the new amplifier to test it, I just assumed the white lead was positive and the black lead was negative.   That is incorrect on my coach and it did in fact blow fuse #7, just as you suspected, when I hooked up the power backwards.  In my coach, the labeling for the fuses was also incorrect and the awning/antenna were listed at position #6 when the actual position was #7.

I must have been careless with my visual inspection of the fuses because I swear I pulled them all and they appeared intact.  Adding to my confusion further, the black and white leads still showed voltage (2.7-3.4v as I indicated above) even though the fuse was blown.  Even more confusing, the voltage was reversed - in other words, with the fuse blown, the white lead was positive and the black negative.  Still not sure what caused the voltage readings and reversed polarity with the fuse blown.

After some troubleshooting and another blown fuse, I finally figured out that my only real problem was the polarity issue.  Once I sorted that out, the install went well.

I now have a fully functioning amplifier and aiming assistant for my antenna.  It would have been a simple install if I had only checked the polarity with a voltmeter before attaching the leads to the new amplifier.

Thanks again!

Bob
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 02:55:05 pm by bobkbusch »

Pax

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 05:56:24 pm »
And thank YOU, Bob, for the follow up.  Making notes about this, since I may be doing the same thing soon.

- Mike