Hello Guest

Rear View Camara

• 6 Replies

Pax

Rear View Camara
« on: February 05, 2016, 08:59:44 pm »
So, I'm wondering if anyone has either upgrade their rear view camera to something better, or swapped it out after purchase.

The reason I ask is that I find that I really want to remotely (from the drivers seat) adjust the rear camera so that I can see either the traffic behind me or a close up of the stuff I'm backing into, or just the status of the towed vehicle behind me.

Before delving into the online search, I thought I'd ask here first.

- Mike

TomHanlon

Re: Rear View Camara
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 07:29:32 am »
I had to replace mine because the old camera got water in it. My bad, don't ask how I did it. The one thing I learned from Carol at the factory was that the cables on the different model are different also. That meant that if I wanted a different camera, I would have to run a new cable from the back to the front of the coach. I don't think this would be an easy job with the roof already on.  
                                                                                                                  pyho   >:(

Pax

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 07:47:26 am »
Urk.....thanks, Tom.  >( I was hoping that the cable was more universal.  I know there are wireless models out there but haven't had any hands on experience with them yet.

-  Mike

Doneworking

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: September 2013
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • Slide: Yes
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 08:41:39 am »
Mike, thank you for posting about the camera.  When we bought our PC a couple of years ago, the immediate and about only disappointment was the camera.  In a word, it is sorry.  I could use more sophisticated language to describe it, but "sorry" says what I really think. 

For our previous rig, I had purchased a "Special Purchase" at Sams Club of a seven inch wireless rear view camera.  I installed it so that it was always on and found that it worked perfectly for my application.  The monitor was as clear as could be and the color resolution was excellent.  I wish I had removed it when I sold the rig because I would now install it in the PC.  Maybe my experience is unique, because some say they get lots of interference and inferior signal with wireless, but it mine worked great and was fully visible in any light regardless of the sun position.  Not so my current camera.  I can barely see it and the screen is smaller. 

Before spring, I am going to start research on Amazon for a replacement.  They have a lot of wired and wireless options on the site.  Please keep us posted how you rework your camera.  By the way, the wireless one I bought at Sams:  $79.  Seventy-nine bucks!!

Paul

palmettorose

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: February 21, 2015
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Desert Sand
  • ExtColor: Desert Sand
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 11:42:19 am »
Please post your experience with replacing the camera. I too am not particularly happy with the camera that is on my unit.
Mike

butch50

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • Model: None
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 03:49:01 pm »
Just so you know the rear view camera on my Winnebago View is terrible also. I can hardly see anything on it. On my pickup with the slide in camera I had a wireless and it was bad also. On our trip to Alaska in our slide in camper it stopped working the second day out. I only had it for about a month before we left on the trip. Right after I got the setup the camera wouldn't work so they sent me a new one and I had to put in remote antenna also. This is for a camera that was only 14' away from the receiver/screen and still wouldn't work without the booster antenna.

The only one that I had work worth anything was in my DP MH but that was about all that worked right in that thing.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 09:11:49 am »
About the backup camera mismatched connectors between brands....I wonder if adapters or adapter cables are available.

Our 2007 PC has the original Zone Defense backup camera kit.  It lost the sound 3 or 4 years ago.  It was great to hear my wife outside providing verbal instruction along with hand signals.  The unit makes the same old residual noise like it always did with the volume raised but no more sound-pickup from the outside.   I have wondered if bugs plugged the mic hole and it just needs to be cleaned out, but I never could find where the unit picks up the sound.  I then tried getting my answer from Zone Defense but could not reach anyone with an answer.  I also tried Phoenix, but still no answer.

Has anyone had a failure in sound and resolved it?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 09:17:52 am by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer