• NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: 12/12
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2008
  • Slide: No
Yellowing Shower Pan
« on: February 27, 2016, 12:58:23 pm »
Could not find this topic covered

Have 2008 2350 used,,,, Shower pan has yellowed. Also up the sides some what,,, Looks to me like someone may have tried to clean the shower, used wrong chemical (bleach?) and stained it.   We left well enough alone, no deterioration  of plastic with-in pan.
Comments to cause?

Has anyone replaced pan? Cost?
thanks

Dynadave

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • PurchDate: 10/2017
  • Model: 2350 Sprinter
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sand
Re: Yellowing Shower Pan
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 08:33:35 pm »
If the sides are yellow you would probably have to replace them also before you would be happy. Big job involving the plumbing, if there are no other problems, leaks etc I would not go thru the expense. After all who else sees it? There are wonderful paints available formulated for plastics etc.. The key is to carefully clean and sand the shower before repainting. A foam small roller might do a decent job, no harm if it has a slight texture.  Don't try to spray it, the overspray will go all over the interior and make a mess.  Try to refinish it, how much have you got to lose if you are considering replacing it anyway. Good luck.
Dave
2014 Sprinter 2350

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 08:17:52 am »
Hi Sparky,

I wonder if the pan yellowed from hard water.  Maybe the shower pan attracts hard water staining more than the shower enclosure, making it appear to be yellowing all on it's own.  First try a CLR/Lime Away type product.

If that doesn't work, I would next try a polishing compound used to remove scratches on car bodies.  Walmart sells scratch remover for under $5 per bottle found in their automotive department.  Last I seen it was a Turtle Wax product in a dark green plastic bottle similar to a suntan lotion bottle.  Rub the pan with the scratch remover using an old sock inside-out so the fluffy material is outward.  Try first in a small area to make sure the chemicals in the product is not breaking down the plastic in the pan.  If the plastic pan becomes tacky, stop and clean off.

If that fails you, try lacquer thinner.  Of coarse first try in an inconspicuous spot, very small spot the size of a quarter.  If the test spot in the pan becomes tacky, immediately stop and blow-dry the area with your breath and you'll know that isn't the right product to use.  If the pan remains slippery smooth using lacquer thinner, then try an area with the worst of the yellowing.  Be sure to have plenty of ventilation.

You can try different chemicals, much in the same manner.  If the CLR fails you and the scratch remover works, I strongly favor that solution for it should smooth the surface of the pan material to a high gloss to better resist staining in the future.

Our rig has NOT had this problem so I am NOT speaking from experience.  I am just tossing out unproven ideas here.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 10:29:54 am by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Barry-Sue

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 10/17/11
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • Slide: Yes
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 02:05:27 pm »
Sparky,

I would call PC and find out the manufacturer of the shower pan.  I would then call the manufacturer to see if they have any suggestions but also ask them what material the shower pan is made from.
They may be able to offer advice so that you do not damage the pan or make it slippery when wet.  

If you know what it is made from you could then search the Internet for possible solutions.
Sue
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 04:10:40 pm by Barry-Sue »
Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide

ragoodsp

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: No
  • PurchDate: May 5, 2012
  • Model: 3100
  • IntColor: cafe
  • ExtColor: cafe
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 09:20:37 am »
Please do not think I am crazy but I have seen it work with my own eyes and could not believe it...On  certain kinds of plastic (there are many kinds so be careful, I saw it applied to plastic wheel trim on and RV) BrakeClean, the chemical spray for cleaning brake pads and rotors turned very yellowed plastic back bright white.  I would try a very small area and be very careful about ventilation, open flames and cover the gas detector.   If this should not work I would use any of the paints for plastic, I had some very small stress cracks in the lip of the pan and I filled them with epoxy glue, sanded, and sprayed the tub base and it has held up perfectly and looks like brand new. I am afraid the walls would be a little more difficult to get a nice even coat.  best of luck. Thanks, Ron G.
Ron Goodspeed

Sparky

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 12/12
  • ModelYear: 2008
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 10:22:38 am »
thanks for the comments, very helpful,,,, Kermit thought it was UV,, I don't think so,,, remember used,,  to have had that much sun damage the rear end and rest of the Cruiser also would have tell tale signs of extensive sun damage, the paint and decals are in to good of shape for this to have happened,, I also have it indoors for 3 years,,,  think I'm going to look at repaint first, then maybe clean it very very carefully haha  will update with results   may be awhile  thanks again
sparky
2008  2350

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 11:23:34 am »
Sparky,

UV yellowing is just one of many different kinds of discoloration that Ron G-ragoodsp and I are offering home remedy solutions for.  Before tearing up your rig or painting the pan, the easiest solution might be what the two of us are suggesting you try first in tiny spot in an unseen area.  Then if it's good, go bigger.  The answer to your problem could be $5 and 15 minutes away.  You can always resort to painting or replacing later.

As far as a painted pan is concerned, I would worry about long term reliability.  The pan does flex when walked on.  The paint has to flex enough yet take a beating.  Flexible paint is soft paint, and you stand on it & grind dirt into it.  What is that going to look like in a few years?  Also the adhesion has to be perfect which is near impossible to achieve on a well used non-skid shower pan.  Micro amounts of soap and dirt is embedded into the non-skid surface.   You'd have a much better chance working with a brand new pan. It seems too much could go wrong.

BTW:  Ron G's suggestion is a very good one.  (You are not crazy Ron G.)  Where I volunteer, it works great in washing away dark areas in light colored carpet ruined by tar-based substances like black top sealer for example.  If the brake cleaner does not attack the pan plastic aggressively, it just might offer the ultimate solution.

This is a forum where home remedies are sought out....right?  Try a few and see what happens.  We'd love to hear back on what you learn.  I do wonder if a CLR type of product is the answer for you for matte finished plastic is a magnet for hard water discoloration.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 11:32:16 am by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Barry-Sue

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 10/17/11
  • Model: 2551
  • ExtColor: Classic Umber
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 08:26:05 am »
Sparky,

If the pan is made of "ABS" then there are a few remedies on line even if it is UV.  One of them is hydrogen peroxide.  Not the strength you get at the drug store but the kind you would buy at a beauty supply store.  Google "ABS" and UV and you will see the many suggestions.  Hopefully you can find out what the pan is made from.

Sue
Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 01:56:57 pm »
Sparky,

If the pan is made of "ABS" then there are a few remedies on line even if it is UV.  One of them is hydrogen peroxide.  Not the strength you get at the drug store but the kind you would buy at a beauty supply store.  Google "ABS" and UV and you will see the many suggestions.  Hopefully you can find out what the pan is made from.

Sue
:cool
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Doneworking

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: September 2013
  • ModelYear: 2013
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 04:10:24 pm »
I sure would be careful using any chemical compound on the plastic.  As has been suggested, try it in a non conspicuous area first.  Chemicals literally "melt" certain plastics and it is almost impossible to tell which will do what to a given situation.  Also, some chemicals will tend to etch a "matte" finish in the plastic, which may not be readily apparent from the small inconspicuous test area. 

Another consideration is surface safety.  Making the bottom pan super slick is something to avoid and some things tend to have that consequence.

Me?  I would go for the automotive rubbing compound mentioned earlier.  Apply sparingly with a sponge with a circular motion, let it dry, buff it with cheesecloth or a terry towel.  I used this stuff to restore old car finishes and the secret is to not be to aggressive with it.  It essentially sands off the surface with a micro grit suspended in liquid, although you probably won't notice the grit if you rub some of it between your thumb and forefinger.  It is that small a grit. 

Paul