• PurchDate: June 2014
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Dark Gray
  • ExtColor: Gray
LED light problems
« on: July 10, 2016, 11:45:36 am »
We have 2014 built 2910t with LED strip lights over dinette, sink and sofa.  Also LED ceiling lights. Has anyone resolved strip lights not staying on and or ceiling lights going off in full or half?  Anyone speak with manufacturer or know who manufactures these LED lights. Thanks
Lou Movitz

jt

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 05/14
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2014
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Pebble
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
Re: LED light problems
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 06:44:54 pm »
We have a 2014 2550 and have had a similar problem since it was picked up at the factory. Two of the strip lights  turned off at random times our first night, the factory replaced them the next day but on our way home they and the other two resumed their random behavior. We still live with the problem. We posted a query on the forum with no response. Our strip lights over the bed and over the sofa have led reading lights at each end. By chance, we found if one of these is left on with the strip light, the strip light usually will stay on. But why, we don't know. Hope someone has an answer.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 09:18:26 pm »
Hi jt and lamovitz,

I am not familiar with the current-day PC-installed LED light strips, but if they are held on with an adhesive backing that does not hold well enough, you could try what I did with my LED light strips inside gutted florescent fixtures.  That is to add a tiny dab of clear silicone caulk on the two ends (the dab bridged between end of strip and adjacent material) because that is where the strips like to start to pull away.  The dab of caulk prevents the strip from beginning to pull away.
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 06:37:55 am »
I don't have the LED lights either. My suggestion is to see if you can find the manufacturer and the model number and do a google search. It's possible it is a problem with that brand or model fixture. We've had several faulty items (generator fuel pump, furnace igniter, etc.) and the problems were known by the manufacturer but they did not put out a recall, they just fixed them when owners tracked down the problem and reported it to them (and argued it, and pointed out that they had numerous instances of failure so they needed to stop blaming Phoenix for their poor quality control). Kermit did say that it is unfortunately common in the RV industry  where so many different components are brought together. It aggravates me that some of the manufacturers get away with blaming it on everything else even when they know it is their fault. I know Phoenix has taken hits for repairs of equipment that should be covered under the manufacturers warranty. That said, there are manufacturers out there that stand by their products and it's wonderful when you deal with those.

Good luck on your lighting problem. Please keep us posted with what you find out.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Spiritofthewoods.net

AMW

• 2015 2100-stretch
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: July/2014
  • Model: 2100
  • IntColor: Toast
  • ExtColor: Sterling
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 07:37:46 am »
I have the "faulty" ceiling LED lights also in my 2015 PC.  One failed completely, and three others have failed on one half.  The first two failures were within the warrantee period and Phoenix sent replacements.  I have not bothered to deal with the other partial failures, because I rarely use the ceiling lights...mostly when cleaning and packing/unpacking between trips.  Ironically one of the reasons I rarely use them is that they are way too bright for ambient lighting use, so having only half the amount of light is actually an improvement.  When I want evening ambient light, I have been using the four "reading" LED lights, one in each corner of my living space.  If I lived in my PC for all or part of the year, I would pursue a more elegant solution...but since my use is for weekend sports trips, it hasn't been important enough to make it to the top of my to-do list.
Ann
Ann W.

lamovitz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 06:36:23 pm »
The manufacturer is command electronics.  Strip light is 001-55 and ceiling is 001-902ppb interior double dome light.  They have not responded to my two emails. Next up a fruitless phone call?

lamovitz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 07:24:14 pm »
Spoke with command electronics and they know about the problem and have no fix and apparently don't stand behind what they sell. Typical I guess.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 01:57:59 am »
Present your LED light troubles to Phoenix.  They may sell you identical replacement light fixtures at a reasonable price including shipping.  They seem to offer their PC owners many different replacement parts at better prices than we can buy from retailers, Amazon, and Ebay.  Call Phoenix at 574-266-2020.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 02:00:30 am by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

ron-n-toni

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 8/3/2017
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: toast
  • ExtColor: toast
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 07:59:02 am »
We have Command brand LED lights standard in our 2016 2351. Each unit (there are 9 total)  has two sides with 30 led's on each side. They were just to bright so disconnected one side. Perfect. Now also have 9 spares. No other problems so far. 2o2

RKS

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 1/2016
  • ModelYear: 2016
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 01:43:42 pm »
Ron-n-toni,
Your disconnection was that just a simple matter of unplugging one side? 
Bob and Michele
Previously owned a 2350 Sprinter

Pax

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 08:25:12 am »
We don't have LED's in our 2014 2552.  PC must have started installing them right after they built ours.  Our reading lights get extremely hot if left on for any length of time, so I started to look around for direct replacement LED bulbs before looking into replacing the actual fixtures.  An interesting bit of info popped up during this search.  I found a replacement bulb that I am going to purchase and try, and the online description includes "....8-30 volts DC including 12v and 24v--this wide-range voltage is designed to withstand RV power fluctuations that can damage ordinary LED lights"  I wonder if this might be part of the problem with the Command LED lights?

- Mike

ron-n-toni

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 8/3/2017
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: toast
  • ExtColor: toast
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2016, 11:27:01 am »
Just a small two prong connector that comes apart easily. Two small screws hold the led board in place. Two screws hold the whole unit to the ceiling.

keelhauler

• View Profile
    • Our RV Page
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • IntColor: Sunlit Maple
  • ExtColor: Sunlit - no paint
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2016, 10:42:07 am »
Our reading lights get extremely hot if left on for any length of time, so I started to look around for direct replacement LED bulbs before looking into replacing the actual fixtures.
I bought https://www.amazon.com/BA15S-Bayonet-Single-Contact-Light/dp/B00DINBUAA/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1477928320&sr=8-3-fkmr0&keywords=Ba15s+Bayonet+Base+15+SMD+3528+LED+Bulb+White+12+Volt+Dc%2C+1429w for $8.73 and it works fine, not hot and it is bright.

randallandchris

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: June 2015
  • Model: 2400 Ford
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2016, 05:29:54 pm »
A static shock seems to have blown one of our LED reading lamps.  Anyone know how to access the bulb to replace it?  The assembly appears to be non serviceable.

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 04:12:21 pm »
A static shock seems to have blown one of our LED reading lamps.  Anyone know how to access the bulb to replace it?  The assembly appears to be non serviceable.

The reading lights have to be replaced as a unit.   Phoenix can sell/send you one.   Two screws to take out.   Just wire nuts connect the unit and power lines.
---
Don and Patti