• PurchDate: December 20, 2016
  • Model: 2400 Sprinter
  • ModelYear: 2012 PC 2400 Sprinter
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Rust
"After market" HWH Levelers
« on: September 14, 2016, 01:21:31 pm »
We are hoping to buy a pre owned 2400, 2551 or 2552 PC in December.  Some of the possibles we have looked at online don't have HWH Levelers.  Does anyone know if they can be added after a PC has left the factory, and how much if known?  Thanks.  =Jeff & Suzanne=
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 01:30:35 pm by Two Hams in a Can »
Jeff and Suzanne traveling with the Cocker Spaniel sisters, Scout & Sydney in Fawkes the Phoenix 
"What happens in vagueness stays in vagueness"

TomHanlon

Re: "After market" HWH Levelers
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 01:35:03 pm »
Yes they can be installed after market. Phoneix builds the motorhome and then sends it down the street to HWH in Elkhart to have the jacks installed. Most RV dealers, repair shops and even Camping World (they have gone down hill lately IMHO) can install them.

ron-n-toni

• View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: 8/3/2017
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • IntColor: toast
  • ExtColor: toast
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 03:43:19 pm »
Call Stuarts Service. They install the HWH systems for Phoenix.  I had a problem with my new unit when a weld broke and damaged the pump unit under the motorhome. I drove from PA to Stuarts where they repaired the unit, gave me a free upgrade dash unit AND paid for my trip out and back home. You don'the find customer service like that anymore.

HenryJ

• All ready for the road
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: April 16 del Jul 24,16
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2016 / 2910T
  • IntColor: Hickory (light)
  • ExtColor: graystone
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 06:14:25 pm »
Just a note... Stuart services is back from the shop on the same road.. Just by the airport and on the right side of the road guess that's the North side.. Nothing fancy not a lot of activity outside... But inside some install experts. Our preordered install took all day to do. and it has worked well. I can tell level or high tide  so it should be ok.
Patricia
Patricia
A new day has dawned now only traveling with Miss Elle . Jim will be watching over us.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 10:46:59 pm »
Hi Jeff and Suzanne,

As others have stated, the levelers are added after Phoenix is 100% done with the rig.  So you can go anytime to get the levelers installed without consequences, even many years later.  We've had our PC 9 years now and still I have yet to get them installed.  Once I figure out the winning lottery numbers, I'll run to Stuarts for levelers. :)

In all seriousness, we have been doing well without them, not sure I'd ever get them installed, primarily to keep the overall weight down.  I hear the levelers weigh 400 pounds.  Our 2350 had gotten to the max weight on one trip.  If we had levelers, we'd be overweight by 400 pounds.  The levelers also seem to be finicky for some owners, not exactly guaranteed trouble-free.  You might consider trying life without them to see how much you need them.  Maybe you will conclude the same as some others.  It seems a 50/50 split of PC owners as to them being a "Must Have" feature.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 11:02:32 pm by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Two Hams in a Can

• View Profile
  • NewUsed: Used
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2016, 07:43:39 am »
Thanks all for your great advice.  We are former fulltimers who have become sometimers due to health issues.  We started in a 30ft Airstream trailer and used Lynx Levelers to level the rig.  That became hard on the knees and back and prompted a move up to a 40ft Foretravel motorhome with automatic levelers.  After selling the Foretravel  :'( when we got off the road, we tried a 14ft Casita trailer  :-[ Poor decision, but we used the Anderson Levelers on it  https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-3604-Andersen-3604-Camper-Leveler/dp/B001GC2LVM  I think this is the way we will go if the PC we buy doesn't have HWH Levelers. 

=J & S=
Jeff and Suzanne traveling with the Cocker Spaniel sisters, Scout & Sydney in Fawkes the Phoenix 

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2016, 09:19:57 am »
........ we used the Anderson Levelers on it  https://www.amazon.com/Andersen-3604-Andersen-3604-Camper-Leveler/dp/B001GC2LVM  I think this is the way we will go if the PC we buy doesn't have HWH Levelers. 

=J & S=
J&S,

I really love the simplicity of the Anderson Levelers, but I don't think they will be compatible on PCs.  I say this because the rear mud flaps and the flapping-action-eliminator bracket behind them will hang up on the Anderson product.  If you remove or replace the mud flaps with something that doesn't interfere, I think the rear tail pipe on the passenger side will be the next interference.  Still I would love to try them and see.  I would think they will work well for the front tires.

Thanks for sharing!
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Two Hams in a Can

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 10:42:14 am »
Good point, Ron. . .however, we have used the Anderson in front of the tires and rolled forward onto them with the Casita when the situation called for it.  I guess this might end up being the norm with a PC. 
=J & S=   :)(:

randallandchris

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: June 2015
  • Model: 2400 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2015
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 10:12:46 pm »
Just today had an issue with our HWH levelers, the LF would not retract.  Surprising since they have worked well for 18K miles and over 7 months of camping.
Was able to locate the power/reservoir unit and manually retract it but found the reservoir covered with oil and the breather/fill cap loose so will check the oil level when I can gain better access and obtain their special oil.
Note:  if ever attempting manual retraction make sure you've clearance so won't be pinned when vehicle lowers.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 10:38:16 pm »
Two Hams In A Can, Jeff and Suzanne,

Did you see THIS 2006 PC-2400 for sale in Iowa by an RV sales & service center?  I believe it has only one house battery and no whole house inverter.  If you can do without them, make a low-ball offer and see what happens.  It is the close of the RV season and so they might let it go cheap.  Use the single battery and no inverter as your reason for your low offer.  How low an offer you ask?  I'd offer $32k over the phone and see what happens.

If you wonder, I don't believe there is any way to retrofit a second battery and inverter without extensive modification, likely not worth doing.  You'd be much better off buying a PC with them included.  I think they were added mid year 2006 so some 2006s have them, some don't.

I live about an hour from you, not too far off your path to Iowa.  Stop by to examine a 2007, a year newer with two batteries and inverter,  no-slide 2350 if you want.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 10:56:56 pm by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

Two Hams in a Can

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2016, 08:01:10 am »
Thanks for the heads up, Ron.  The lack of the second battery and whole house inverter probably wouldn't bother us since we plug in everywhere we park; but it would be a good price point to use.  However, with a 2400, we will hold out for a 2012 - 2013 so we would have the corner cabinet across the door from the kitchen. . .gotta have some place for the Keurig! :-D.  We are also keeping our eyes out for a 2551/2552 that might fit our budget.  Anyway, we can't buy anything buntil mid-December due to stuff going on here in Homewood.  Suzanne is directing a play that is auditioning this month and opens December 9th at Drama Group in Chicago Heights so our life is on hold throughout this.  We would like to meet up with you one of these days.  :)(:     =J & S=