• OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: Used
  • PurchDate: October 2016
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2012
  • Slide: Yes
M&G Engineering Hydraulic Brake System
« on: November 17, 2016, 09:49:18 am »
Is anyone using the M&G Engineering Hydraulic Brake System on their toad? Any feedback is appreciated. http://m-gengineering.com/

Daryl

Two Hams in a Can

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: December 20, 2016
  • Model: 2400 Sprinter
  • ModelYear: 2012 PC 2400 Sprinter
  • IntColor: Cherry
  • ExtColor: Rust
Re: M&G Engineering Hydraulic Brake System
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 10:34:41 am »
We used the M & G system on our Chevy HHR when we were fulltiming in our Foretravel diesel pusher.  It worked absolutely flawlessly.  Yes, it is pricey compared to the removable systems, but it works as advertised.  Safe travels. . . :)(:
Jeff and Suzanne traveling with the Cocker Spaniel sisters, Scout & Sydney in Fawkes the Phoenix 
"What happens in vagueness stays in vagueness"

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 11:43:53 am »
Wow, The M&G is one very serious tow brake system integrated into the two vehicle.

I had sought a decent install-myself integrated system for our conventional hydraulic E350 chassis and decided on the Unified by US Gear.  Installation wasn't easy, but not ridiculous either.  I am sure it does not operate as seamless and smooth as the M&G system, but is as effective with a 30% distance reduction.  I found an over-stock kit sold on-line which cost me $900 and my installation cost me the time.  US Gear honored the purchase as new and honored their warranty even as over-stock and me installing it.  I never exercised any warranty.  I was more concerned of the kit missing some parts, but turned out that it was all included.  I never got US Gear involved after all.

Understand that when the Unified is activated, it pulls the power vacuum boosted brake pedal down by the same amount whether you are braking gently or aggressively.  You can adjust the sensitivity as to when it activates, but once it is working, it's braking hard.

It appears the M&G brake system is designed to brake as soft or as hard as the coach....a more integrated setup....very nice, but I wonder what the kit and installation costs are.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 11:55:49 am by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

TheLuvShack

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: October 2016
  • Model: 3100
  • ModelYear: 2012
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 05:50:12 pm »
I'm starting from scratch. Here's the quote for installation of complete system. M&G brake system, air filter kit, breakaway, hoses, battery disconnect, Blue Ox base plate, Blue Ox Aladdin Tow Bar, wiring diodes for brake lights and turn signals and 8 hours labor. $3,690. I like the simplicity of this system. Just hook up, hit he battery disconnect, turn key to accessory and put tranny in neutral.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 06:23:28 pm »
Interesting! That is much less than I anticipated.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 12:39:36 pm by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

2 Frazzled

• View Profile
    • Spirit of the Woods
  • PurchDate: May 2013
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2013
  • IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
  • ExtColor: Sunlit
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 05:07:10 am »
Double check how the lights in the toad work. Our Subaru Forester couldn't be wired directly into its existing light system so our installer put additional bulb lights inside each existing rear light unit on the toad. They are difficult to see except at night. We've had people tell us we have NO brake lights on the toad but when we check they work fine... you just can't see them well in daylight. I don't have a workaround yet. I've considered the wireless magnetic light bar but that's one more thing to store. I'd prefer to upgrade the bulbs in some way to have them brighter or reflect better.
John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Travel Blog: Spiritofthewoods.net

TomHanlon

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 07:34:01 am »
Holly, try LED replacement bulbs.

On our Jeep Liberty they drilled a hole one the brake light holder and glued the bulbs into it. I could not change the bulbs. On our Jeep Cherokee they used the existing lights. Using the existing lights is much better.

We have the SMI plug-n-play braking system with the in cab signal box to tell  me when the toad is braking. We really like it. I just hook up, my wife does the inside the Jeep stuff and we go. It is a progressive braking system. Meaning the the harder I brake the harder the toad brakes and the softer I brake, like slowing down, the softer it brakes. I prefer this over like what Ron G has, when he brakes no matter how hard he brakes the toad fully jams on  the brakes.