Hello Guest

Maxxair vs Fantastic vent fans

• 5 Replies

Bill G

• The Midnight Rambler - Andersonville National Cem.
    • View Profile
  • OwnPC: Yes
  • NewUsed: New
  • PurchDate: November 10 2016
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2017
  • Slide: Yes
  • IntColor: Nightscape
  • ExtColor: Nightscape
Maxxair vs Fantastic vent fans
« on: November 27, 2016, 06:38:47 am »
Hi all,

We ordered a 2552 and would really appreciate input pros and cons on the Maxxair 6200 and the supplied Fantastic fans. I like the looks, design, and concept of the Maxxair.

As of now we ordered a rain cover ($95) for the kitchen Fantastic fan and sticking with the little vent fan in the bath which I have a feeling is pretty much useless in venting the hot steamy showers the wife enjoys so much. She really doesn't ask for much, and it's the small things in life, right?

Need to talk to Earl again, but at $330 for another Fantastic Fan plus $95 for rain cover, I would think the Maxxair could be installed for less than $425.

Like the fact that the Maxxair is reversible. Don't know about the standard Fantastic fan. What about warranties and issues with both.

Your thoughts.....

Thanks,

Bill Graser, the new kid
Bill G.

fandj

• View Profile
  • Model: 2552
  • ModelYear: 2016
  • IntColor: Graystone
  • ExtColor: Nightscape - full body
Re: Maxxair vs Fantastic vent fans
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 07:18:29 am »
Bill,  we had a Fantastic fan in a couple of other campers and found them high quality and trouble free.  To be used in all weather conditions requires a cover as you noted.

When we ordered our 2552 we wanted to minimize AC by using the vent fans as much as practical.  I had seen the Maxxair fans on other units and liked the appearance and the fact that they were 10 speed vs. the three speed Fantastic fan.  The lower speeds on the Maxxair units are noticeably quieter than the lowest speed on the Fantastic fan. 

We went with three Maxxair units which included replacing the standard bathroom fan and adding the optional fan.  We frequently use all three and have been pleased with our arrangement.  This link provides more information.  http://www.phoenixusarv.com/community/index.php/topic,2553.0.html

Polish Prince

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: February 2016, Delivery August 2016
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2016 - 2351 on a 450 chassis
  • IntColor: Desert Sand, with ultra leather and carpet toast
  • ExtColor: Greystone
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 07:38:38 pm »
We ordered 2 Maxx Air fans on our modified 2351, one for the bathroom and one for the kitchen.  The bathroom fan couldn't be ungraded because of the space available next to the shower skylight, so we have both the fantastic and the Maxx Air.  We like the Maxx Air because the cover allows use during a light rain.  We also upgraded the Maxx Air to the remote control unit.  We like that because we can adjust the vent from bed without getting out of bed.  Overall so far the Maxx Air seems to be the more versatile unit, with the vent cover, more speeds and ability to run it when the vent is closed.
George & Jill Budzynski, Birchbark Farm

HenryJ

• All ready for the road
    • View Profile
  • PurchDate: April 16 del Jul 24,16
  • Model: 2910
  • ModelYear: 2016 / 2910T
  • IntColor: Hickory (light)
  • ExtColor: graystone
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 03:51:32 pm »
Just a note about fan lids... having worked with plastic for a few years Commercially the type of plastic that is used for most of these vent fan lids is not capable of enduring the UV rays for long. It dries out cracks and disappears.. leaving your roof opening open to the sky. It is best to cover all these lids with Maxxair vent lids if you can. They do a first class job on their products. We had all of ours covered before we left the plant.

I had asked Earl to come up with a list of items which might be added to any unit (though we all know may not be suitable for all) but it takes a lot of work to get that all done so it is waiting. Then you will not leave something off that might be a comfort matter and be wishing for it later on.
Regards
Patricia
Patricia
A new day has dawned now only traveling with Miss Elle . Jim will be watching over us.

Ron Dittmer

• Ron and Irene
    • View Profile
    • My 2007 2350 Phoenix Cruiser
  • PurchDate: June 2007
  • Model: 2350 Ford
  • ModelYear: 2007
  • Slide: No
  • IntColor: Cherry Green&Gray
  • ExtColor: Full Body Gray
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 12:18:01 pm »
I agree with you Patricia.  Still I just ordered a generic cover from Walmart for $23.  I figure in our case being in a garage most of the time, the cover should last a long time.

I wonder if owners painted their cheap plastic covers, if that would protect from UV and last a lot longer.....especially for those expensively priced, but cheap plastic A/C replacement covers.  The paint might have to be a darker color to block the UV rays.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 12:21:02 pm by ron.dittmer »
Ron (& Irene) Dittmer

donc13

• View Profile
  • PurchDate: 03/2015
  • Model: 2551
  • ModelYear: 2015
  • IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
  • ExtColor: White/Nightscape
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 07:55:47 pm »
I agree with you Patricia.  Still I just ordered a generic cover from Walmart for $23.  I figure in our case being in a garage most of the time, the cover should last a long time.

I wonder if owners painted their cheap plastic covers, if that would protect from UV and last a lot longer.....especially for those expensively priced, but cheap plastic A/C replacement covers.  The paint might have to be a darker color to block the UV rays.

We've had so called cheapie vent covers on every RV we have ever owned (for at least the bathroom vent).   The longest we have kept any RV that we've owned is 9 years.   We live in Colorado, so have a mile less atmosphere to adsorb UV rays before they hit the roof.   We kept that RV outside either in open storage or on the road for all 9 years.   NONE of the RV vent covers ever broke, blistered, cracked or otherwise gave us any issues.   That includes the cheapie, white plastic lids on the low end bathroom vents.

No maintenance other than hosing off the roof now and then.

The RV we had for 9 years was a 2000 Winnebago Minnie that we bought new in 2000. 

I wouldn't worry about the vent lids.
---
Don and Patti